Rate my Build!

djneilson

n00b
Joined
Apr 19, 2009
Messages
9
Hi,
I'm just an end user planning on building a second computer and was looking for some feedback before I build my new toy.
FYI - this will be a general use and gaming computer (current games mainly, 2020-game technology not necessary), my budget is approx $800 (no shipping) and I already have a monitor, mouse, keyboard, couple fans and a couple of HDs. I don't need a RAID config since I already back up to external drive and really don't have anything worth burning to 4-5 different HDs.
I don't plan on overclocking but am open to trying. I don't know what Firewire, Crossfire or SLI mean... so just bear with me.
Operating system = XP SP3, willing to upgrade to Vista or 7 when it's out.
New England based, more specifically MA.

1. Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive
2. COOLER MASTER Centurion 590 RC-590-KKN1-GP Black SECC / ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
3. Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80570E8400
4. G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ
5. Tuniq TX-2 Cooling Thermal Compound
6. Thermaltake Toughpower W0128RU 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready Modular Active PFC Power Supply
7. ASUS P5Q-E LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
8. SAPPHIRE 100258-1GL Radeon HD 4850 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card

I'm about to hit "checkout" but figured I'd see if more knowledgeable people could give some advice before I purchase.

Thanks in advance!
Dan
 
a few thoughts:

you can get a 4870 or a 260 core216 for a few bucks more, and you can get pc power and cooling 610 for less than that thermaltake.

unless you're getting an aftermarket cooler 5$ on that thermal compound isn't necessary, and even if you were it still wouldn't be.

also, unless you're set on that "black" drive, you can get a 1TB for 80$ these days. (samsung F1)
 
A few things to consider/change:

1. Switch the motherboard to the GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P and save $10 (more after rebate)

2. Spend $30 more and go for the 4870 1GB. It comes with a free game which you can probably sell for $15-20 to offset the cost.

3. Switch the Tuniq TX-2 for the Arctic Cooling MX-2.

4. DEFINITELY switch that power supply for something like the Corsair 620HX (if you really want/need modular). If you can live with a non-modular PSU, the Corsair TX650 offers a better price-to-performance ratio.

Otherwise looks ok...
 
Why did you go with that particular motherboard? What features does it have that justify its higher price to you? In other words, what do you need in a motherboard? You never really answered that part of the stickied question. S

I concur with parts 2 to 4 of PC_User's post.
 
thrawn86, PCuser, Danny Bui - thanks for your great input. I will switch out for the 4870 and will offset the cost by replacing the power supply to the Corsair650. Just that alone will save me $50 or so.

As far as the motherboard - I have used Asus in the past and simply went with a recommended and well rated board. In and of itself it had nothing specific that I needed, just that it seemed to be a solid board that fit the bill.
I read in the sticky posts to start building a rig based on a motherboard, unfortunately I don't know enough about the idiosyncrasies of each spec to understand what the differences are, or how they change the performance of the system as a whole. Generally I use the rating system as a basis, then just make sure all the other parts fit...
 
I know the WD6400AAKS is usually the recommended drive... does anyone have any reason to recommend that one over the WD6401AALS above?
 
If you dont need anything special in a mobo, I'd suggest going for the P43 chipset. The DS3LR or the UD3L are good choices (whichever is cheaper, with shipping factored in).

$85 - Gigabyte GA-EP43-DS3LR LGA 775 Intel P43 (Free Shipping)

I know the WD6400AAKS is usually the recommended drive... does anyone have any reason to recommend that one over the WD6401AALS above?

Only to save some money ($5 daily, or $15 when the blue is on sale). The Blue drive has half the cache and only 3 yr warranty. The 32MB cache on the black version only bumps the drives performance slightly (negligible), but it has a 5yr warranty.
 
As far as the motherboard - I have used Asus in the past and simply went with a recommended and well rated board. In and of itself it had nothing specific that I needed, just that it seemed to be a solid board that fit the bill.
I read in the sticky posts to start building a rig based on a motherboard, unfortunately I don't know enough about the idiosyncrasies of each spec to understand what the differences are, or how they change the performance of the system as a whole. Generally I use the rating system as a basis, then just make sure all the other parts fit...

The Gigabyte EP45-UD3P motherboard that I suggested is an excellent all-around board. Another good one to consider is the Gigabyte EP45-UD3R.
 
Thanks all-
So here are my selections based upon your recs:

1. Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail
2. CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Retail
3. Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive - OEM
4. Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80570E8400 - Retail
5. GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
6. G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ - Retail
7. COOLER MASTER Centurion 590 RC-590-KKN1-GP Black SECC / ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
Forgive me for not including the links, they have already been posted.


How important is Arctic Cooling MX-2? Significantly better than what the chip will come with?

Any last concerns? If not I plan on ordering this tomorrow (4/22) and crossing my fingers that it will make one mean machine...
End Price = $765.93
Shipping = $26.58
Total = $ 792.51
MIR's $50
=== Within my budget!

Thanks for all your help, it is really appreciated!
 
No point in paying for a P45 board if you don't need its features. The P43 boards I listed are very good boards, and have been highly recommended here for a while.

No, MX-2 isn't significantly better than what already comes with the stock Intel heatsink.
 
Isn't there a speed difference between the two which would lead the p45 to have a greater lifespan? (both can go as fast, but the 45 would be working less hard to attain the same speed?)
 
I noticed that the boards are pretty much identical otherwise. I don't think I'd be needing all the features of the 45 BTW, I just thought it would be a good choice considering it's 15$ more with all the sales/MIR's
 
Isn't there a speed difference between the two which would lead the p45 to have a greater lifespan? (both can go as fast, but the 45 would be working less hard to attain the same speed?)

o.O.gif
huh?
o.O.gif
:confused:
 
I would go with a P45 in case you decide to go with CrossfireX after checking out performance. This is assuming you're running 1920x1080 / 1920x1200. Lower than that and a single card is pretty much always going to be okay. If that's the case, get a P43 and save some cash if the P45s don't have anything else you want / need.

No, the P45s aren't substantially faster / better than P43s. It's just a question of feature-set.

Rated FSB speeds don't mean much. P45s and P43s will OC (generally) well above their rated FSB speeds.
 
No, MX-2 isn't significantly better than what already comes with the stock Intel heatsink.

Is he using the stock HSF? If so, there's no reason in getting any thermal compound. If planning to use an aftermarket heatsink, MX-2 is very good.
 
Eginurd, good point, I had not thought of that.

Thanks everyone, I think I'm ready to buy the rig - I'll let you know how it all works out!
 
Back
Top