• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Random Shut Offs

Joined
Feb 6, 2006
Messages
813
I just installed a new HSI 4650HD GPU and 500GB SATA HDD, into my old computer which is running on a MSI NEO2-F K8T800PRO S939, with a 550W Coolmax PSU. My problem is that it randomly shuts off. Sometimes when I'm just at the desktop and sometimes when I go to play games. The whole system just shuts off. I know its not a heat issue, cause at idle my CASE and CPU don't go past 38 degrees Celsius. and I'm sure its not a GPU issue, cause if it was, it would just make the system crash or something, not actually shut the whole computer off (at least from my experience) so I'm thinking my PSU is giving out. Unless you guys have any other suggestions as to why?

I've unplugged one IDE HDD that i didn't need anymore, and all my DVD drives, so i only have the HSF, MOBO, GPU, SATA HDD and one 80mm Fan, and it still happens.
 
So its just happening when i try and play games ie Doom 3, Borderlands, BF 2142. Do you guys think its my PSU ? I need to figure it out, cause if so, i can buy a new PSU
 
550W Coolmax PSU

Those are horrible and even if it's not your problem now, which it probably is, it could create a big one in the future.

Buy something decent like this and live happily ever after. :)
 
Yea i thought it was happening just when i play games but it happens even when im at my desktop. And like i said. I know its not my gpu, ram or an heat issue. And i realized my psu is only 500w and i just dont think it can handle my new 4650HD GPU and my new 500gb SATA HDD along with my other stuff. The psu is like 5years old. Im stuck using my old amd64 3200+ s939 and my msi neo2-f k8t800pro agp mobo cause my apartment got robbed and i cant afford a new build yet. But anyways, i'm pretty sure its my psu. Unless you guys have a different idea ?
 
And i realized my psu is only 500w

It's advertised as 550w but I doubt it's truely a realistic rating. Coolmax is pretty much a brand well known to have inferior components, unrealistic ratings, and when/if it fails can damage other components.

Do a little PS homework and it will open your eyes. ;)
 
Last edited:
i've learned a lot about PSU's in the last few years. This PC was my first build when i was 18 (I'm 24 now) so i didn't kno better back then. Every build since then I've gone with grade A PSU's. Like i said in my last post. Im just stuck using this old one now cause i got robbed and they stole my computer and a bunch of other things from my house. But i still had this one at my parents so I grabbed and decided to put a HSI 4650HD AGP GPU that my buddy gave to me and a 500gb sata drive that i had bought for my new PC before it got jacked and it showed up in the mail 2 days after my apartment got broke into. Isn't that some stupid irony. I plan on building a new PC within the next 6months but because of what happened i'm short on cash from replacing everything and I'm moving cause im not risking this happening again. But anyways thanks for the help. My 700w PSU will be here friday. So everything should work once i put that in.
 
Back
Top