Random [H] Sighting

HardOCP News

[H] News
Brian Holmes, long time friend of the [H] and all around great guy, sent us in today’s (not so) Random [H] Sighting. Isn’t it amazing how using seventeen hundred .223 rounds to make the [H] logo give it a 3D effect? Thanks to Brian for the picture and all the time and effort it must’ve taken to get that shot.

that's some very steady hands he's got there. I'd be knocking them over all the time and say fuck it, and draw the [H] with a red marker :-P

that's some very steady hands he's got there. I'd be knocking them over all the time and say fuck it, and draw the [H] with a red marker :-P

It would make much more sense to take the bottom of the box off, then put it on the floor lol

Considering there's a line around each "brick" of 40 bullets (4x10) that's probably exactly what he did.

Is this Brian Holmes the same fella I remember as "Duckman" ?

Wanna confirm or deny that Steve? I swear that was Ducky's name, he was a skilled modder, and damn nice guy.

Brian Holmes, long time friend of the [H] and all around great guy, sent us in today’s (not so) Random [H] Sighting. Isn’t it amazing how using seventeen hundred .223 rounds to make the [H] logo give it a 3D effect? Thanks to Brian for the picture and all the time and effort it must’ve taken to get that shot.

Nice pun

Wanna confirm or deny that Steve? I swear that was Ducky's name, he was a skilled modder, and damn nice guy.

'Tis him. Goes by "Duck" here now and mainly only posts in our subscription sections. He gave us the case modding quite a while ago after it went mainstream/commercial. He was also the man behind the hard work on the Rotten Apple.

I'm sorry, but you gun nuts scare the crap out of me. Maybe that's the intended effect.

I'm sorry, but you gun nuts scare the crap out of me. Maybe that's the intended effect.
Oh gosh....

Those things look bigger than .223 to me. Maybe it is just how the picture was taken.

not saying shenz, but it looks weird how there is some "block" grouping of those bullets. Probably because he had them in blocks and turned the block over to put them in place.

That makes me want to buy more .223... I only have 1,200 rounds left :(

pfft, they have bigger things to worry about. If they cared about people stockpiling ammo there would be many many people far ahead of me that would get in trouble... I have fewer total rounds than alot of people stockpile per caliber :(

How many more [H]ard drives must be massacred? :D

Just bought a high speed camera and we are going to reshoot the Hard Drive Massacre, this time with a bit more prep. But we will need more HDs. We will post a shout out soon.

for some reason this gave me a random thought- what do you [H] gentlemen do with the terrible power supply units you have the pleasure to review? You know, the ones that fail so hard that your reviews, while at the same time being brutally honest and entertaining to read, completely eviscerate them for the substandard junk they turn out to be.

I don't know if you have to send them back, but seeing the fate of some of other hardware that has outlived its usefulness at the [H] HQ it might be fun to take them out to the range to really put them out of their misery. :D

Considering there's a line around each "brick" of 40 bullets (4x10) that's probably exactly what he did.

I used these:
i210641sq01.jpg

And each "brick" is 50 rounds (5x10)

One and the same, hows tricks man?

for some reason this gave me a random thought- what do you [H] gentlemen do with the terrible power supply units you have the pleasure to review? You know, the ones that fail so hard that your reviews, while at the same time being brutally honest and entertaining to read, completely eviscerate them for the substandard junk they turn out to be.

I don't know if you have to send them back, but seeing the fate of some of other hardware that has outlived its usefulness at the [H] HQ it might be fun to take them out to the range to really put them out of their misery. :D

Bad PSUs got to a recycling center that is geared to have its proceeds go to help injured and abandoned stray animals.

Hehe, that's bullshit. Paul just throws them away.

edit: now. ffs.

Steve, we really need the edit tab in this forum when some of us are typing after a few beers after work. :p

i can contribute to the drive stack. You should probably build something that will hold the drives together. This way the whole stack doesn't flyback when the drives are hit. I bet if this gets done you can probably go through a couple more than 17.

I also wonder if a plain AP round will penatrate better than an API round. The shape of the core on the API leads me to wonder this.

Only one way to find out :D

And each "brick" is 50 rounds (5x10)

And by my count there are 17,000 rounds... not 1,700.

1 brick = 5 rounds X 10 rounds = 500 rounds

34 bricks X 500 rounds per brick = 17,000 rounds

Or a shit-ton of rounds! :p

Damn thats about $850 worth of ammo?

In today's hyper-inflated prices, yeah. In another year or so, provided there are no shortages of copper and/or lead, we should see the price come down about 30% if not more. The really ridiculously priced stuff, these days, is 7.62x39mm, costing upwards of $8 a box (20 rounds) for freakin' Wolf brand ammo, which is notoriously inexpensively produced (in Russia).

I've been stocking up on *other* types of ammo, partly because .223 is so expensive, but also because .223 is less effective than other military rounds. My latest obsession is 5.45x39 Russian, and I picked up an AR-15 produced by S&W specifically to capitalize on the cheap prices of 5.45x39 surplus, in addition to the benefit of obtaining yet another AR-15 lower receiver. Let's just say that for $1000, I was able to get approximately 8 times as much ammo as I could have gotten over 5.56x45 NATO. In addition, the Russian surplus is steel core, with a mildly hardened steel penetrator, and as a result, it will penetrate a half inch of steel like it's butter. M855 in 5.56x45 NATO will do that as well, but it's also over 50 cents a shot, and its energy retention begins to rapidly taper off after 100 yards of travel.

Anyhow, I digress.. This post was neither meant to crap on 5.56x45, nor to turn the thread into a ballistics discussion. I love both rounds, and I would be shooting one of my several 5.56ers, if I could afford to right now. I live to plink, and I just can't afford to do it very often with the price of 5.56x45. In addition, my beloved Dan Wesson 10mm pistol, 6.8SPC AR-15 carbine (Armalite model), and .30-378 Weatherby Magnum have been shelved indefinitely, or relegated to my trunk or bedroom guns, all because of the high ammo prices.

All in all, pretty badass [H] sighting. Keep that press churning out ammos, Duck. While you're at it, load me up some 10mm and .44 mag.

Even if I wanted to I couldn't. It's ammo I reloaded and in order to sell it I'd need to be an FFL

Not entirely true. It can legally be resold for component cost; just not for a profit. That said, it's not wise to sell anything firearm-related without an FFL, even if it's a face-to-face sale of a gun to another resident of your state (in states where that's legal). The BATFE is the most ridiculously oppressive organization in law enforcement..

There's a guy by the name of Celerino Castillo III. At one time he was one of our nation's top DEA agents, and he was working out of El Salvador and Panama during the 80s. He basically witnessed, first hand, the link between the CIA, the guerillas, and the importation of cocaine into the USA. The guy wrote a book, named names, and otherwise pissed off a lot of people very high up in government.

Anyhow, because he became a whistle blower, he's been the target of law enforcement scrutiny ever since. The BATFE has charged this man, a true patriot, war veteran, and fighter of the good fight, with selling firearms without a license (carries a 10+ year penalty). What did he do to deserve this, you ask? He sold hunting shotguns at a gun show. Absolutely ludicrous..

Anyhow, yeah.. You could legally sell some of that ammo for component cost, but it's not worth the risk of placing yourself at the whimsy of the most sadistic branch of law enforcement; the BATFE.

Back