RAID 0 2 ssds?

Hey, i currently have 1 samsung 830 128gb ssd, and i was wondering if i could get another one and raid 0 them without formatting?

If you originally configured the one disk as RAID0, you can expand the array with an additional disk(s) (depending on controller). But then you'll need to expand the partition.

If you configured it as AHCI or non-RAID then it will destroy the data on the disk and rebuild the volumes.

Would everything still be okay if i made a disk image and then moved the files back? Because i heard there was issues with cloning an hdd to an ssd

You should not do raid 0. I don't think you're aware of how bad it is.

Moving the files over is easy.

Not an issue if you get out of the mindset that "RAID is backup"

I'm not necessarily in that 'mindset'. The mindset I have is doubling the chance of losing data because you are now relying on two drives instead of one. Ideally a RAID 0/1, or RAID 5 or RAID 6, but then you're talking some serious cash!

No. You will have to reformat.

No you don't have to. I have made the switch from RAID to single disk and back again just by making 2 registry changes and ensuring the drivers for each configuration are installed.

1. Redundancy isn't even a point of discussion with RAID0... 0 is for performance.
2. The whole 'doubling your chance of failure' idea is largely crap with SSDs since an SSD is nothing but several banks of NAND in a striped set anyway.

My fucking god it seems like the [H] is turning into a bunch of panzies the last few years.

But to answer the OP's question:

No, with RAID0 you will have to create a new striped array and that's destructive by nature.

Yes, you could potentially make an image of your current single drive and then restore it to the RAID0 you will create after the fact, but there could be issues with getting the restored partition on the RAID0 array aligned properly for maximum performance (the partition start offset needs to be 1024KB or multiples thereof).

My advice would be to start fresh with a new install of your operating system to avoid these issues.

You should also be aware that TRIM will only work in a RAID array if you are using a motherboard with a Z77 chipset. Without TRIM being passed to the drives in the array you would see a (very) gradual loss of write performance from the array. Since your signature indicates you are using a Z77 based motherboard this shouldn't be a problem. You're gold.

Go for it and enjoy your SSDs in RAID0!

No you don't have to. I have made the switch from RAID to single disk and back again just by making 2 registry changes and ensuring the drivers for each configuration are installed.

I bet you did not go from a single SSD to a 2 SSD raid 0 by this method. Unless I am understanding the question wrong.

1. Redundancy isn't even a point of discussion with RAID0... 0 is for performance.
2. The whole 'doubling your chance of failure' idea is largely crap with SSDs since an SSD is nothing but several banks of NAND in a striped set anyway.

My fucking god it seems like the [H] is turning into a bunch of panzies the last few years.

But to answer the OP's question:

No, with RAID0 you will have to create a new striped array and that's destructive by nature.

Yes, you could potentially make an image of your current single drive and then restore it to the RAID0 you will create after the fact, but there could be issues with getting the restored partition on the RAID0 array aligned properly for maximum performance (the partition start offset needs to be 1024KB or multiples thereof).

My advice would be to start fresh with a new install of your operating system to avoid these issues.

You should also be aware that TRIM will only work in a RAID array if you are using a motherboard with a Z77 chipset. Without TRIM being passed to the drives in the array you would see a (very) gradual loss of write performance from the array. Since your signature indicates you are using a Z77 based motherboard this shouldn't be a problem. You're gold.

Well said.

Get those SSDs in RAID 0 and reap the performance benefit. I run two SanDisk Extreme's in Raid0 without TRIM. By the time the drives decay enough for me to notice it will be time for newer faster drives.

Live fast and Die [H]ard!

Well said.

Get those SSDs in RAID 0 and reap the performance benefit. I run two SanDisk Extreme's in Raid0 without TRIM. By the time the drives decay enough for me to notice it will be time for newer faster drives.

or just re do it.

I vote Raid 0 as well, you'll get to say first all day.

By the time the drives decay enough for me to notice it will be time for newer faster drives.

:D

I've had my two 256GB M4's in a RAID0 on the Z68 motherboard in my signature since March or something... they still CDM with the same results they did the day the array was new. Slick, fast, and awesome.

Remember, if those SSDs ever do start to decline in performance you can do a secure erase and they'll be good as new.

I bet you did not go from a single SSD to a 2 SSD raid 0 by this method. Unless I am understanding the question wrong.

I did leave one part out--so you caught me...... ;)

Made one registry change.
Did an image backup using Acronis True Image 2013. You could also use Windows 7 image backup as well.
Powered machine off.
Added new drive.
Powered machine on.
Changed controller mode to RAID mode.
Created RAID 0 array.
Rebooted machine.
Booted to Acronis True Image Home boot disc and restored image to RAID array.
Rebooted.
Got into Windows and installed iRST drivers.
Rebooted.
Done.

Total time spent was ~30mins.

or just re do it.

I vote Raid 0 as well, you'll get to say first all day.

I am the same. Also the idea about having two drives fail, if your running a 2 drive array vs 1 single drive. If that single drive fail, so your still ass out, how is it different with two?:confused:

I have two Kingston HyperX 240gb in Raid 0... blazing fast 1kGbp/s read/write. wouldn't go back. Love it too much

I'm about to get a second ssd for RAID 0 as well, but all of my important files are on a regular hdd (and backed up to an external hdd) so if anything happens to the RAID array I only need to reinstall Win 7, no biggie.....

what is the point? raid0 used to be useful when the disks were a bottleneck. a sata6 SSD is not a bottleneck for 99.999% of desktop workloads.

if the ssd isn't the bottleneck the only thing you gain via raid0 is a larger volume but that can be accomplished via concatenation or mounting directly to a folder.

oh and twice the chance to lose your data forcing you to waste time recovering from backup.

raid0 with ssds is retarded benchmark epenis measuring. nothing more.

The drives internal garbage collection is agnostic to any outside control. So even if you don't get official TRIM support from the OS, the drive itself will keep you going. Internal collection is meant for normal useage. TRIM is better when you are writing and secure erasing large blocks of data at a time.

what is the point? raid0 used to be useful when the disks were a bottleneck. a sata6 SSD is not a bottleneck for 99.999% of desktop workloads.

if the ssd isn't the bottleneck the only thing you gain via raid0 is a larger volume but that can be accomplished via concatenation or mounting directly to a folder.

oh and twice the chance to lose your data forcing you to waste time recovering from backup.

This is the most laughable "proof" that raid-0 with SSDs is "retarted" :p

Go back to worrying about solar flares affecting your non-ecc ram. :rolleyes:

Can you explain

Going from where you are now to raid 0 ssd system is like going from crawling to racing in f1. You have to imagine there is a continuum here where you don't just go from never having done something or had something or fixed something to then doing all of it at once with no experience or testing or training or backup plan or spare parts

The people who are gung ho about this think of computers as furbys

And this, folks, is proof that a whole lot of people have absolutely no fucking clue what 'bottleneck' means.

(or 'retarded' for that matter)

lol, yeah, i have no idea what i'm talking about ... carry on with your stupid setups where you realize zero benefit.

lol, yeah, i have no idea what i'm talking about ... carry on with your stupid setups where you realize zero benefit.

Zero benefit from a raid 0 compared to a single SSD? Wow.. Someone needs to go look at benchmarking or see it for themselves LOL.

I have two Kingston HyperX 240gb in Raid 0... blazing fast 1kGbp/s read/write. wouldn't go back. Love it too much

Have a pair of the 120gb's in Raid0 and wouldn't it do it any other way. Went with the HyperX because not only were they a killer deal, but heard they run like hell in Raid.

Have a pair of the 120gb's in Raid0 and wouldn't it do it any other way. Went with the HyperX because not only were they a killer deal, but heard they run like hell in Raid.

can you post you as ssd and crystal benchmarks please.

I was under the impression that the x79 Sandy Bridge-E Intel Controllers supported TRIM with the new software as well? I was just going to try RAID0 with 2 Agility4s i got on black friday with the Rampage IV extreme.

I was under the impression that the x79 Sandy Bridge-E Intel Controllers supported TRIM with the new software as well? I was just going to try RAID0 with 2 Agility4s i got on black friday with the Rampage IV extreme.

raid 0 support is z77 only (officially). i think intel has plans to add support for x79.

raid 0 support is z77 only (officially). i think intel has plans to add support for x79.

well sunva... i suppose i should've looked more closely.. i saw 7-series and assumed x79 was included, nice to know its 'coming soon' though.

Just as well though. I kinda didn't want to re-install.

Quick Question: Real World usage ... is it worth using 2x 256GB Agility 4 Raid0 over a Samsung 830 256GB? Other than drive space of course.

Last edited:
raid 0 with SSDs is retarded.

Yeah, retardely fast!:D

I just finished build a rig for a friend who went with 2 x Intel 330 240gb in Raid 0 on a z77 board. I get ~500mb/s read while he gets ~980mb/s read. It is fast and awesome.

The rewards out weight "negative"

Exactly. See above

Once you get to 3 SSD's in RAID 0, you'll find the difference minimal. The jump from 1 SSD to 2 in RAID 0 is significant, however.

I get ~500mb/s read while he gets ~980mb/s read. It is fast and awesome.

980 MB/s is not a real benifit to most applications since they do not read or write in chunks large enough to ever hit these speeds.

Last edited:
Back