RAID 0 2 ssds?

well sunva... i suppose i should've looked more closely.. i saw 7-series and assumed x79 was included, nice to know its 'coming soon' though.

Just as well though. I kinda didn't want to re-install.

Quick Question: Real World usage ... is it worth using 2x 256GB Agility 4 Raid0 over a Samsung 830 256GB? Other than drive space of course.

I doubt anyone has tested those two configurations against each other in real world situations. I think the more important question to ask yourself is do you want one good ssd or two dogs.

980 MB/s is not a real benifit to most applications since they do not read or write in chunks large enough to ever hit these speeds.

When 250MB PSD's load at the blink of an eye. Mission accomplished!

When 250MB PSD's load at the blink of an eye. Mission accomplished!

For that example would you have noticed the difference between ~500ms and ~300ms?

I am wondering how can you guys live with 120gb ssd's (not trolling or anything)
I need a good 300-500 to be good on space.

I am wondering how can you guys live with 120gb ssd's (not trolling or anything)
I need a good 300-500 to be good on space.

For what?

120 GB ssd works more than fine for me I have 20 gigs free right now. What are you install Photoshop CS1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 or using it as your only drive?

I doubt anyone has tested those two configurations against each other in real world situations. I think the more important question to ask yourself is do you want one good ssd or two dogs.

HAHA yeah. I was going to get a second 830 on black friday as I expected deals to drain stock. Didn't see any. Though so far i've had fair luck with OCZ drives

Go big or Go HOME.....LOL bunch of pussy's here now. When I joined HF it was all about numbers.....and to me still is.

Alienware M17x R4 with 2 Samsung 830's

M17xR4DualSamsung830SSD-vi.jpg

Owe and if New Egg didn't fuck up and send me one Hyper X 120gb instead of the 2 I ordered my desktop would be running 2 SSD's in raid now as well.

I've used Raid 0 on my main rig since WD released their very first Raptors, never a single problem with it. Raid 0 with 2 SSD's is stupid fast...

I was considering doing Raid-0 with 3 120GB SSDs, but that just seemed a little overkill :D

Go big or Go HOME.....LOL bunch of pussy's here now. When I joined HF it was all about numbers.....and to me still is.

Alienware M17x R4 with 2 Samsung 830's

M17xR4DualSamsung830SSD-vi.jpg

Your 4k results seem worse or, at best, the same as single drive. Would be interesting to see access times. There's hardly any benefit from RAID0 on a system drive, sometimes even the oposite.

Your 4k results seem worse or, at best, the same as single drive. Would be interesting to see access times. There's hardly any benefit from RAID0 on a system drive, sometimes even the oposite.

I don't think write-back cache is enabled.

The 4k reads are not better than a single SSD either. Although to me this is somewhat expected because pages on SSDs are not smaller than 4K so reading 1/2 of a page on each SSD should not improve performance.

Avoid Raid 0 unless benchmarks make you very happy or you time everything you do. There are so few real life scenarios that even the [H]ardest of us would struggle to see a noticeable improvement. I'm not an engineer but an enthusiast who's livelihood also relies on a balance with this kind of stuff.

I've got nearly 100 drives in Raid 6, 50, 10, 1, and 5 spinning across the hall. Of that lot six of those are SSDs. Those six 600GB SAS SSDs in a Hybrid RAID 6 are enough to handle peaks of 10k IOPS that are 4-8KB in size for a 1 TB SAP ERP database without a hint of slowdown or stutter. To my users it's nearly instantaneous. The running theory around here is that we could probably serve up close to 15-20k IOPS on that array before users would even notice a slowdown. Think you can duplicate that in your home office?

My home machine had up to 3 x SSDs in RAID 0 at one time. It shaved a couple seconds off an application install and about the same loading games after a shutdown. The act of initializing the Intel RAID array makes boot times slower than a single drive on AHCI with each drive standing alone.

All that said... I will probably run RAID 0 on my OS/game drive again because benchmarks make me happy :)

In the "Big Picture" here it seems everyone is missing is the fact that it costs less to run raid 0 over a single drive. I got 3 of the Kinston Hyper X drives, 2, 120gb's cost me $119 and a 240gb that cost me $150.

Cheaper with better performance sounds good to me anyday of the week.

Last edited:
no point arguing with them dude. BIG NUMBERS! is all they care about.

Welcome to [H]. Why do people overclock to 8GHZ on liquid nitrogen? Because they can. Why do I put 2 SSD's in RAID0? Because I can.

Back