RAGE

Quake 3 was boring, unbalanced drivel. UT99 was released on the same month as Q3. It was a battle to the death! Fortunately, Q3 suffered from all the nasties, and UT99 suffered from being an awesome super game.

UT99 triumphs over Q3 any day.

YEAH I WENT THERE

This post means that you don't know what you are talking about...or that your taste sucks :D

Q3A to the death!!

They are equal. Sadly UT got turned into a pile of dog shit thanks to Epic not giving a crap about the PC community that got them famous.

I gotta say, I am partial to UT99 and I was sadly disappointed of UT3. Really a shame.

I played Q3 a bit and it was fun, but never struck me lie UT99... it was just really revolutionary at the time, IMO. Q3 was like playing inside a pinball machine sometimes, just not my taste, but capture the flag was a lot of fun!

I'm all for a studio taking their time to get a game right but it seems iD takes this to an extreme. Nowadays their games take so long to get released that by the time they do interest has been loss and the current technology has already passed them by.

I'm all for a studio taking their time to get a game right but it seems iD takes this to an extreme. Nowadays their games take so long to get released that by the time they do interest has been loss and the current technology has already passed them by.

They have always always taken ages to do anything. But they do tend to get it right in the end, which can't be said for lots of games that have been longer in the making...

Really not sure what all the hype is about for this game. Beyond engine development, I have never seen any ground breaking gameplay mechanics from ID. They make an engine and fill it with a basic shooter game and ship it. Even this game feels really close in terms of environment.

This pedantic attitude towards games that aren't ground breaking is getting old. I can't think of any "ground breaking" mechanics in games in over a decade, perhaps almost 2 decades yet every game that comes out you get someone or some group of people that rant and rave that the game isn't as ground breaking as Game X.

Every single shooter that I play reminds me of the original Castle Wolfenstein, hell almost every single game I play has some remnants of something I originally played on my C64 or Atari 260:. Lode Runner, Zaxxon, 4x4 Off Road Racing, Adventure Master, Master of Magic, Star wars, and a ton of others all laid the groudnwork for every single game we play today.

Rage is an iD game and it will play just like every single other iD game released by Carmack and his crew. The game looks fun, but looks like Borderlands beat them to the punch though, but we'll see.

I liked Quake2 more than Quake3 for some reason.. I played a TON of CTF back then... and Lithium DM... so much fun.

DeathPrincess - I have seen Die Hard many times.. it's on my list of holiday "must watch" flicks every year.. I guess I missed the reference? yippie kai yay mofo.. er... something like that..

I liked Quake2 more than Quake3 for some reason.. I played a TON of CTF back then... and Lithium DM... so much fun.

DeathPrincess - I have seen Die Hard many times.. it's on my list of holiday "must watch" flicks every year.. I guess I missed the reference? yippie kai yay mofo.. er... something like that..

The bots in quake 3 were based on ones from quake 2. The multiplayer in 3 was a load more accessible, no hand typing in IPs and stuff. (damnit I miss that!). Better netcode and such. Quake 2 DM was good over lan, but not so good over IP. But quake 3 lacked single player.

Nooo it's based on the fact that it's a chiristmas movie (well it's always on at christmas, and it has the jingle bells at the beginning and loads of christmas songs). But only 12 people die, so that makes it a chick flick.

[snip]
(well it's always on at christmas, and it has the jingle bells at the beginning and loads of christmas songs)
[snip]

don't you have any Christmas music? ... this _IS_ Christmas music!

As far as the Quakes go.. yeah, Quake 3 did have more polish throughout the game... I think for me it was just a matter of timing.. I wasn't gaming as much when Quake 3 was the in game.. I never had any issues with Quake 2 over the net, but I guess maybe I was using a frontend to hunt down the CTF games for me...

because Q3A is the ultimate test of raw fps skill

/argument.

its strange to me that not more people really understand this...

I'm a fan of both Quake and Unreal Tournament, but there really is no question, if you want to settle who is the better FPS player, you fire up Quake 1/2/3...

The best rocket arena players are frequently the best players in w/e UT/CS/etc server i've ever played in...

The bots in quake 3 were based on ones from quake 2.

Quake 2 didn't have bots other than some really terrible mod-added ones. The Q3 bots were quite a lot of fun to play against back then; I'm not sure if they would still hold-up.

Quake 2 didn't have bots other than some really terrible mod-added ones. The Q3 bots were quite a lot of fun to play against back then; I'm not sure if they would still hold-up.
Actually, he's right. Quake III's bots were designed by the same guy who made EraserBot for Quake II. I always played with CR-Bot (which was an adaptive node-based learning bot), but Eraser was pretty damn good.

don't you have any Christmas music? ... this _IS_ Christmas music!

As far as the Quakes go.. yeah, Quake 3 did have more polish throughout the game... I think for me it was just a matter of timing.. I wasn't gaming as much when Quake 3 was the in game.. I never had any issues with Quake 2 over the net, but I guess maybe I was using a frontend to hunt down the CTF games for me...

The only christmas music I have is...this (its in the snow...). I love using this as DM background music.

The problem Q2 has over q3a is that out of the box, quake 2 isn't really supposed to be multiplayer, whereas q3 is pretty much multiplayer only. So it's more optimised, whereas q2 has multiplayer as an afterthought. I've played ut a load, but its just not as...fun. quake is simple and rather basic and very fun. UT is like firefox. In 2010.

Actually, he's right. Quake III's bots were designed by the same guy who made EraserBot for Quake II. I always played with CR-Bot (which was an adaptive node-based learning bot), but Eraser was pretty damn good.

The original post used the wording "from quake 2", to me that implies that they were part of an official release from Id. It annoys me when people imply that mods are part of the original game because it diminishes the work of some very talented individuals.

Quake 3 was boring, unbalanced drivel. UT99 was released on the same month as Q3. It was a battle to the death! Fortunately, Q3 suffered from all the nasties, and UT99 suffered from being an awesome super game.

UT99 triumphs over Q3 any day.

YEAH I WENT THERE

Tell 'em brother :) UT Classic > *

At 23, I'm more than old enough, but not all games experienced from a first person perspective are Doom clones. FEAR has far more (in my opinion) visceral environmental stimuli, Deus Ex has a greater degree of character-building, and Mirror's Edge is more artistic. What makes Doom Doom, and what distinguishes it, I feel, from the rest of the genre, is that it is nothing but itself. It is highly procedural, repetitive, uninspired, and otherwise a boring experience. Playing through Doom 3, then going back and playing some of its namesake, I felt a distinct boredom, not unappealing, but almost trance-like. Quake does much the same thing for me, though it tends to be less claustrophobic. .
How do you compare the ORIGINAL Doom to a game that came out 10+ years after it. Thats like comparing Mario Bros (NES) to Mario 64. Without the older brother you probably wouldnt even have the younger more advanced one. You were 5-6 years old when doom came out so it was before your time. Im sorry, but you really need to reevaluate your argument.

I am hopeful for Rage. I am worried that id will screw us and make it a consolized game but I will withhold judgement until I play it. As for their old games my favorite was actually Quake 2. Not for the online either but for the single player campaign. I thought it was really well done and was way ahead of anything else for that time.

For all of those who are saying the quake 2/3 are the best games ever, are you in your 30s or 40s or are you in your teens and you just happened to discover this game? Because I think AGE has a huge factor in having quake be your favorite game.

For all of those who are saying the quake 2/3 are the best games ever, are you in your 30s or 40s or are you in your teens and you just happened to discover this game? Because I think AGE has a huge factor in having quake be your favorite game.

Agreed.

Don't get me wrong, I love q3, however I love it just as much as I love Duke3d, Blood, samurai warrior, and doom. They are all classics, and always will be.

Yeah it's probably true age is a factor. I still have all the old id games on my PC (pre-Steam), along with Unreal1 which I hold up there too.

They all have modern fan-made engines these days and look damn good for their age when you add high resolution and maxed-out AA/AF. Doom may be old but the panic that sets in when you have no bullets left and are being chased by bull demons is timeless. I still fire em up sometimes and blast through single player. Few games really match that frantic and fast Doom1 play, especially in this era of modern shooters.

Well im none of those! It came out in 1999 meaning even if you are in youur early 20s you could have experianced it. Plus the online is still played competitively to this day, and pretty consistantly since then, as there has been no real replacement. Quake did really make the online deathmatch, plus things like deFrag and speedruns made it a mainstay in competitive play (halflife, thus counterstrike, is also based off quake II originally). It is tottally unrealistic but really really easy to pick up. You could get a load of 90 year old farmers and put them infront of a PC and they can play it, but it takes years to get better at it. Most of the mouse technology came from quake competitive playing, like the icemats and such. Theres a load of nostalgia surrounding quake as it came from the hardcore days of computer gaming. I want to do another 48 hour deathmatch...

Has anyone else seen the Rage site?

Intresting points.
It shows the date as 2033 while it says "please be patient while the world is enging". The story is based on a real life comet that is actually heading towards the earth (according to russian scientists, though NASA says otherwise).
Theres a "follow my jounney" flash game where it asks for secret codes, and is like a point and click adventure type setup.
There are airships!
There are "clans"
For the secret codes there are audio messages (from game characters!?) where you have to work them out.

Go look!

Also there is a PDF from the Official playstation magazine (US one) that lists many game aspects ike some of the clan names and such here. There are wasted (clos combat, thug types), Ghost (zealot types, that are acrobatic forund in dark places), Scorchers (worship the rock that destroyed the planet, use lots of fire), shrouded (from other clans, use lots of traps and bombs) plus probably a load more.

One other thing is that it shall include classic ID weapons. They don't say which ones...

I didn't say it was the best game ever, but I am 41 and been a pretty avid pc gamer since doom I installed and played the doom beta on my 486 for the first time.. I still fire up quake 2 once every couple of weeks (using kmquake2) and enjoy the shit out of it.. so simple yet so much fun.. there's just something about it I guess because it's fairly easy to pick up and I love the speed it goes at... like roller blading down hallways practicing flip shots with the shot gun or just lighting things up with the hyper blaster... could be the nostalgia factor also, all those long nights playing CTF with folks all over the world.. definitely was some of the most fun gaming I have ever done..

having said this, I also enjoyed UT99 and Quake 3 but didn't play as much of either game..

I'm 24 and think Quake 2 is the best Quake. I just played it last year. What that means according to your system I don't know.

I felt burned by Doom 3. Paid a premium $60 at the time and got a really lackluster game - little more than a graphics engine demonstration. Will be waiting for others to go first on this one.

I'm OK with no multiplayer. There are just a handful of games I'll spend time on-line with, but it is nice to have a solid single player experience once in a while. The painfully short single player campaigns are irksome.

Wtf does this post even mean?

23 is simply not old enough to have the original experience of Doom, period. That's what the discussion was about.

Steam? Steam didn't exist in 1993?

It means you don't have to have played it when it first came out to experience it. Well, I'm sure you'll counter that to "properly" experience it, you do. However, I've played plenty of games through services like Steam that I missed because they came out "before my time" and some of them fare better than others. Doom is nothing spectacular. Never has been.

How do you compare the ORIGINAL Doom to a game that came out 10+ years after it. Thats like comparing Mario Bros (NES) to Mario 64. Without the older brother you probably wouldnt even have the younger more advanced one. You were 5-6 years old when doom came out so it was before your time. Im sorry, but you really need to reevaluate your argument.

How do I compare them? Easily. They both exist... I've played both of them. There!

Just because one game facilitated a sequel doesn't mean the original is better lol. Try harder at logic.

Edit: This post and the one before could've been one reply, now that I think of it. Apologies to those that get irked by such things.

halflife, thus counterstrike, is also based off quake II originally

DeathPrincess, this is actually incorrect. The original Half-Life and Counter Strike are based on Quake 1 engine. But these games do have the upgraded QuakeWorld mutiplayer support which is a part of Quake 2. I see this mistake all to often-even to this day!

BTW, nothing will replace the days I used to use an IPX emulator to play Doom with people over some good old analog modems. But the real and will always be the game that I recall fondly (but technically is not the best) will be Quake 1. Technically, I have found that the Battllefield series is what I prefer. I do not like to run in gun anymore. I prefer purpose and tactics that are more complicated than timing for when armor and shit come up. That does get old and is not really fun after you have been doing it for almost 20 years.

Back