RAGE

DeathPrincess

Fully [H]
It appeared on steam! (though not on the front page or the "coming soon" section!)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/9200/

Is it ready yet? Is it ready yet? or is John D. Carmack making you his bitch?

It has a load of screenshots, but no movies yet!

I've been waiting for some ID action since...doom 3.

Give caffine. Give shotgun!!! IDDQD!!!

But haven't you already played Doom, Ultimate Doom, Doom II, Doom II HoE, Final Doom, Doom 3 and Doom RoE?

Apart from the open world and similar setting it is a very different game from the looks of it in art style and enviroment!

One thing I am surprised about is that it looks like RAGE maybe single player only...

But haven't you already played Doom, Ultimate Doom, Doom II, Doom II HoE, Final Doom, Doom 3 and Doom RoE?

Apart from the open world and similar setting it is a very different game from the looks of it in art style and enviroment!

One thing I am surprised about is that it looks like RAGE maybe single player only...

That wouldn't be a bad thing,in my opinion. Too many games seem to focus on the multi-player part,and the single player campaign is a short weak afterthought.

That wouldn't be a bad thing,in my opinion. Too many games seem to focus on the multi-player part,and the single player campaign is a short weak afterthought.

But all ID games since I can remember have had some kind of multiplayer. I don't mean just deathmatch and freezetag, I mean like coop and such. But then again all I am basing it on is the tags down the side of the steam page, which probably is just the default for games. It's still missing the specs though...I'm hoping for something high...Still it does look like it has AA, and decent textures, though the screenshots aren't massive. The FOV and such wont matter as ID games usually have a fair amount of hidden customisation...

Probably a day one buy here for me.

Same for me. It's good it's coming to steam. I was worried I was going to have to leave my dwelling. I just hope that day one is sooner rather than later. By christmas? It would get me in the festive spirit!!!

Same for me. It's good it's coming to steam. I was worried I was going to have to leave my dwelling. I just hope that day one is sooner rather than later. By christmas? It would get me in the festive spirit!!!

nothing says happy holidays like a good post apocalyptic wasteland FPS. ;) I'll likely be biting on this on release also..

Dunno.

Don't id have a habit of releasing in the summer?

Anyway, yes day 1 for me aswell and I'm pretty sure they'll allow the game to support MODs.
Not too sure about the MP though; As JC mentioned that they won't use Dedis (probably changed their attitude now after the MW2 nonsense?).

^PunkBuster?

I would like them to use it TBH.
The best thing about PB is the use of 3rd party streaming servers (Punkbusted, pbbans etc).

I've been patiently waiting for this game to come along too. Definitely a day one buy for me.

Isn't that first steam screenshot the same room that they showed the Unreal Engine 3 running on the iPhone, or is it just me? :/

nothing says happy holidays like a good post apocalyptic wasteland FPS. ;) I'll likely be biting on this on release also..

You haven't seen die hard! But people shouting that you can't shoot with a shotgun makes games like this a stress relief!

Isn't that first steam screenshot the same room that they showed the Unreal Engine 3 running on the iPhone, or is it just me? :/

It does have AA, and are decent sized...the icrap monitor is only 120x10 "HD" or something...Its probably from the PS3...

Nope, just Doom 3. The oldest shooter I've been able to enjoy for any length of time (I'll play individual levels of Dark Forces or Doom now and then) is Duke 3D.

I just don't see it. Asteroid hits earth, destroys civilization = man nukes himself, destroys civilization. True the water's not as gray as in Fallout and there will probably be more than the four different enemies I met in Borderlands, but I'm done "surviving."

-Rant warning!, skip if you aren't interested in a somewhat unrelated tirade-

By "surviving", I mean amassing a truly inhuman amount of arms and money that I've collected off of thousands of foes that were somehow less able than me, regardless of how novice and unacclimatized to my harsh environs I may be. It's simply ridiculous. I realize it'd be frustratingly pedantic and pace-ruining to get a periodontal cyst in the midst of the RobCo facility, but don't feign realism. Don't tell me I'm not quite strong enough to carry the man-portable Gatling AND the Davy Crockett, yet I'm comfortably burdened with infinite ammunition for both. In a just world, leaping from rooftop to rooftop (made of corrugated tin, mind you, which isn't showing any signs of buckling under my plummeting 280lb carry weight + body weight) and falling 20-30 feet at a time should give me some exotic testicular torsion, not simply drain an arbitrary "health bar" in increments.

I have nothing against realism, nor any qualm with the lack thereof. Mixing them can even be pleasurable, assuming it's not idiotic. Moderation in all things, correct? There must be a line drawn delineating a point of acceptable (fun) realism. But in the fashion I've seen it, the mixture tends toward the absurd. I'm simply recognizing ahead of time, and with the goal of staving off disappointment, that RAGE, regardless of how much you love John Carmack, will be Doom in the desert. Assuming that this will be the case, I simply wish to go about my business exploring the new engine amidst the familiar cavernous-yet-claustrophobic bowels of some derelict vessel or installation. To each his own, eh?

Id hasn't made a good single-player game since Quake so no, I'm not holding out any great hope for Rage.

Carmack and Co should just stick to making the engines and let other developers make the games, since id puts far more emphasis on the engine side of development anyway. All of the interviews I've read about Rage with id are all about the tech and very little about the gameplay other than, "it has buggies and racing and shooting...we're really excited about the tech, though."

Personally I'm a lot more interested in seeing what Bethesda has planned for the new engine.

Im excited about this game, if anything to have the technology out. Sooner this game comes out the sooner we can play TESV with this engine powering it. Having the entire game a single texture is fascinating.

Nope, just Doom 3. The oldest shooter I've been able to enjoy for any length of time (I'll play individual levels of Dark Forces or Doom now and then) is Duke 3D.

I just don't see it. Asteroid hits earth, destroys civilization = man nukes himself, destroys civilization. True the water's not as gray as in Fallout and there will probably be more than the four different enemies I met in Borderlands, but I'm done "surviving."

-Rant warning!, skip /snip

You must have missed the doom sale! Original Doom now is like visiting grandparents. Lots of what they say is outdated and irrelevant, even embarrasing, but sometimes they give you a few dollars and sweets.So it's all worth while after the payoff.
If you're worried about "realism" I doubt that any ID game will be your thing. Usually you can carry a gazzilion guns (and limited ammo). But you do get some fun weapons. BFG, that gavity thing, chainsaw. This has been the first ID game (not including quake wars and team arena) that has taken place in a "open" enviroment. But are you not old enough to remember when FPS were all called "doom clones" "bioshock" is doom underwater. "MW2" is doom with army men. FEAR is "doom is a school" Halo is "doom for kiddies. etc.
ID games tend to have a unique kind of humor about them, which will be worth playing the game to see, regardless of how good it is. Then again, ID (not raven soft) have never made a bad game (ravensoft did quake IV, which wasn't bad really) as far as I know.
But, it will definately be fun...

Id hasn't made a good single-player game since Quake so no, I'm not holding out any great hope for Rage.

Quake II!!! Doom 3 was good! But the first of all the ID franchises have had a decent single player to begin, Doom, commander keen, wolfenstein, quake and this is the first one, so there is a chance it's good! Did anyone play it at the shows? Also this may mean that ID tech 4 gets released into the world for indie gaming. It's kind of dated, but still looks pretty decent.

We have quite a while before Rage is released. Current planned release date is September 13, 2011.

FUCK...It looks so finnished...maybe now the engine is all polished up theyll work heavily on the game. ID is a pretty small development studio. I've always fancied working there was a character designer...

id's last great inhouse game that was actually FUN to play, not just in terms of graphics was probably Quake 2.

Everything after that just became an un-fun advertisement for their engines to be licensed.

Carmack and Co should just stick to making the engines and let other developers make the games, since id puts far more emphasis on the engine side of development anyway. All of the interviews I've read about Rage with id are all about the tech and very little about the gameplay other than, "it has buggies and racing and shooting...we're really excited about the tech, though."

Personally I'm a lot more interested in seeing what Bethesda has planned for the new engine.

+1

Really not sure what all the hype is about for this game. Beyond engine development, I have never seen any ground breaking gameplay mechanics from ID. They make an engine and fill it with a basic shooter game and ship it. Even this game feels really close in terms of environment.

id's last great inhouse game that was actually FUN to play, not just in terms of graphics was probably Quake 2.

Everything after that just became an un-fun advertisement for their engines to be licensed.

If you had no fun playing quake 3 then your soul is made of concrete.

Quake was sort of reborn as quakelive, free to play online modern version, good for a laugh once in a while.

You must have missed the doom sale! Original Doom now is like visiting grandparents. Lots of what they say is outdated and irrelevant, even embarrasing, but sometimes they give you a few dollars and sweets.So it's all worth while after the payoff.

I got quite a kick out of this.

If you're worried about "realism" I doubt that any ID game will be your thing. Usually you can carry a gazzilion guns (and limited ammo). But you do get some fun weapons. BFG, that gavity thing, chainsaw.

Allow me to reiterate: I have nothing against discarding realism. But the pretension to realism when in clear violation of it frustrates me. Doom and its associated clones never arbitrarily impaired my movement speed by half when I suddenly crossed the threshold between "laden with equipment but comfortably so" and "utterly handicapped, unable to move." Fallout 3 has a rad counter (which I applaud, though it should properly be a REM counter, as a rad isn't a measure of absorbed dosage...) but absurdly few consequences for overexposure.

But are you not old enough to remember when FPS were all called "doom clones" "bioshock" is doom underwater. "MW2" is doom with army men. FEAR is "doom is a school" Halo is "doom for kiddies. etc.

At 23, I'm more than old enough, but not all games experienced from a first person perspective are Doom clones. FEAR has far more (in my opinion) visceral environmental stimuli, Deus Ex has a greater degree of character-building, and Mirror's Edge is more artistic. What makes Doom Doom, and what distinguishes it, I feel, from the rest of the genre, is that it is nothing but itself. It is highly procedural, repetitive, uninspired, and otherwise a boring experience. Playing through Doom 3, then going back and playing some of its namesake, I felt a distinct boredom, not unappealing, but almost trance-like. Quake does much the same thing for me, though it tends to be less claustrophobic.

That's why I had desired to get acquainted with the new engine through the course of a true "Doom clone." I don't want to have to devote the level of involvement necessary for an open-world game under such circumstances. I just want to be shepherded into the next room staring at the same textures for a few, just to get a feel for things. Maybe I'm broken.

Really looking forward to Rage myself.

Can't wait to see how it'll look on my compy and how demanding it'll be. Plus I'm a sucker for post-apocalyptic settings.

If you had no fun playing quake 3 then your soul is made of concrete.

Quake 3 was boring, unbalanced drivel. UT99 was released on the same month as Q3. It was a battle to the death! Fortunately, Q3 suffered from all the nasties, and UT99 suffered from being an awesome super game.

UT99 triumphs over Q3 any day.

YEAH I WENT THERE

Just crossed my mind what's the difference between Q3 Arena and Q3 Team Arena and do people still play them?

Q3A was the original game.
Q3 Team arena was the addon (like oldschool DLC) It added a few new guns (chaingun, nail gun "classic" quake weapons) and a few new characters, a few maps. And more team based gameplay.
Yes people still do play them. Even with quakelive, people still play the originals, people still play the original doom...

Allow me to reiterate: I have nothing against discarding realism. But the pretension to realism when in clear violation of it frustrates me. Doom and its associated clones never arbitrarily impaired my movement speed by half when I suddenly crossed the threshold between "laden with equipment but comfortably so" and "utterly handicapped, unable to move." Fallout 3 has a rad counter (which I applaud, though it should properly be a REM counter, as a rad isn't a measure of absorbed dosage...) but absurdly few consequences for overexposure.

How many bullets to the face could one human take?

At 23, I'm more than old enough, but not all games experienced from a first person perspective are Doom clones. FEAR has far more (in my opinion) visceral environmental stimuli, Deus Ex has a greater degree of character-building, and Mirror's Edge is more artistic. What makes Doom Doom, and what distinguishes it, I feel, from the rest of the genre, is that it is nothing but itself. It is highly procedural, repetitive, uninspired, and otherwise a boring experience. Playing through Doom 3, then going back and playing some of its namesake, I felt a distinct boredom, not unappealing, but almost trance-like. Quake does much the same thing for me, though it tends to be less claustrophobic.

That's why I had desired to get acquainted with the new engine through the course of a true "Doom clone." I don't want to have to devote the level of involvement necessary for an open-world game under such circumstances. I just want to be shepherded into the next room staring at the same textures for a few, just to get a feel for things. Maybe I'm broken.

Without doom 3, there would hae been no FEAR. Without quake 2 there would have been no Deus Ex. Etc etc. Doom did come out in 1992, and did kind of invent the genre, so it added things such as holding a gun in a first person perspective. Later games have just added various things to the same procedure. But saying doom is bad compared to later games, is like saying Nosferatu lacks audio.

Damnit I have to run! rant rain check!

UT > Quake3. Quake 2 was a champ because of the mod community but UT took that place.

Back