rage or fallout

Fallout,no contest. Rage fails on so many levels. Both Fallout 3 and New Vegas are great games in their own way. And they can keep you occupied for a long time,not only with the DLC's but also with a lot of very good mods available.

oh really? same amount huh? lol theres no comparison between the two! and i am the only guy that i know that searched ALL locations throughout entirely both whole maps, everything, in both games.
There's quantity and then there's quality. Ideally, you have both in spades. Given the choice though, I'll take quality over quantity any day, which is what you're getting with New Vegas.

There's still an absurd amount of stuff to do in New Vegas. More than most people have the stomach for.

rage is great if you like fast pace games.

fallout is slow but a way longer game.

There's quantity and then there's quality. Ideally, you have both in spades. Given the choice though, I'll take quality over quantity any day, which is what you're getting with New Vegas.

There's still an absurd amount of stuff to do in New Vegas. More than most people have the stomach for.

This too, though with NV you're given about the same amount of content once you factor in each individual faction and the quests available from them. Obviously, you can't access all of the content in one or two playthroughs. The map is slightly smaller, though the amount of things to do is roughly the same. With Fallout 3, there are just far more cut and paste locations which give you experience for finding them. Having quests to do, which offer world reactivity, isn't the same as finding a map point where there is a dildo in a shopping cart. :)

as far as i remember there was a lot more marked sidequests in nv, but they were mostly unimpressive to say the least, the map besides smaller was boring and dull to explore and those factions wars, with a few exceptions, were crap. but if i did play the way i did it wasnt because i was having a bad time lol, but nv is just plain silly and somewhat funny in comparison with 3.

New Vegas was an oddball because the early part of the game is pretty linear. If you started wandering around, you'd get slaughtered by deathclaws and cazadores.
It doesn’t really open up and give you the freedom to truly explore until you’re about pretty far into the game. Once you finally get there, it does turn out to be massive just like Fallout 3.
I think Fallout 3 seemed larger because you’re able to attempt nearly all of the side quests and walk wherever you want from the beginning. The true plotline is extremely short, but the rest of the game is more inviting. New Vegas put more of a value on the main plot, but was more linear as a result.

I liked both, but I think you'll get more out of Fallout.

I liked RAGE. The only annoying thing about Rage was the graphics textures that "pop" into view after you turn or look around.

nv is just plain silly and somewhat funny in comparison with 3.
Those who've played the originals will probably appreciate that, too. Fallout was always intended to be a little on the silly side — a Fallout game that's too straight-laced doesn't quite fit the mold of what the series was intended to be.

That's a personal taste thing, though, admittedly.

Once you finally get there, it does turn out to be massive just like Fallout 3.

no it doesnt, not even near. man i spend months on that thing, i wandered through all, all metro stations, everywhere, you dont have any idea of how big that thing really is, its bigger than it looks, a lot bigger.

Those who've played the originals will probably appreciate that, too. Fallout was always intended to be a little on the silly side — a Fallout game that's too straight-laced doesn't quite fit the mold of what the series was intended to be.

That's a personal taste thing, though, admittedly.

well i was thinking.. in my opinion anyway. some people might like nv better because is funny and you dont have to deal with a clustefuck of a map that was fallout 3, who knows?

..level 30 and stuffed on anti-rad chems.. lets get that last location marked on my map! (vault 87 exterior door :D)

screenshot458h.jpg

@dinlee23: fallout :D

Fallout games beyond question. Between the two of them I have north of 300 hours of gameplay and still fire them up. Mods take it all well over the top.

New Vegas was an oddball because the early part of the game is pretty linear. If you started wandering around, you'd get slaughtered by deathclaws and cazadores.
It doesn’t really open up and give you the freedom to truly explore until you’re about pretty far into the game. Once you finally get there, it does turn out to be massive just like Fallout 3.
I think Fallout 3 seemed larger because you’re able to attempt nearly all of the side quests and walk wherever you want from the beginning. The true plotline is extremely short, but the rest of the game is more inviting. New Vegas put more of a value on the main plot, but was more linear as a result.

Linear in that you had a dozen ways to complete the game vs. the 2 (basically 1.5) in Fallout 3? NV: Each path having a different outcome in the gameworld. There were plenty of ways around the Deathclaws and other assorted non level scaled baddies. Plenty of ways to explore. Plenty of ways to complete objectives (not just combat, Oh my!).

I think most of you probably didn't play the first 2 games, and don't really know how to jump into a non Bethesda version of Fallout. Each NV playthrough can be drastically different, each Fallout 3 playthrough is essentially the same where quests are concerned other than a few binary options.

Fallout was not ever intended to be played like a Skyrim themepark. They have been reactive sandbox games with choice and consequence since 1997.

The main plot for New Vegas definitely had more of an impact on the game, but I'd say it's still more linear that Fallout 3. Plot-wise, New Vegas has a lot more variety and options - but again, you're still pretty limited in where you can go and when. You can find ways around the uber enemies, but the paths still lead to to the same place as making the counter clockwise circle they more or less forced you upon. It's not like there was magic behind 'em. The side quests leaned on basic "find this" "kill this" missions a lot more than Fallout 3 which tended to use stronger side quest plots as a crutch for a much weaker main plot.

To me, New Vegas has more replayability than 3, but at the same time, #3 allows you to pretty much see and do everything in one single playthrough. I pretty rarely go through games of that size/scope more than once, so I'd rather see and do everything in one shot rather than multiple play-throughs. I did keep a few saves for different factions just to try some things out.

Linear in that you had a dozen ways to complete the game vs. the 2 (basically 1.5) in Fallout 3? NV: Each path having a different outcome in the gameworld. There were plenty of ways around the Deathclaws and other assorted non level scaled baddies. Plenty of ways to explore. Plenty of ways to complete objectives (not just combat, Oh my!).

I think most of you probably didn't play the first 2 games, and don't really know how to jump into a non Bethesda version of Fallout. Each NV playthrough can be drastically different, each Fallout 3 playthrough is essentially the same where quests are concerned other than a few binary options.

Fallout was not ever intended to be played like a Skyrim themepark. They have been reactive sandbox games with choice and consequence since 1997.

And yet the games still kick ass on their own merits. :)

To me, New Vegas has more replayability than 3, but at the same time, #3 allows you to pretty much see and do everything in one single playthrough. I pretty rarely go through games of that size/scope more than once, so I'd rather see and do everything in one shot rather than multiple play-throughs. I did keep a few saves for different factions just to try some things out.

That's not a gold star for RPG's. There are supposed to be limitations to what you can do. You should have quests and areas blocked off or opened up if you side with an opposing faction.

Being able to do every quest, join every group, and become the headmaster of every faction defeats the purpose of having any choices at all in the game. Having unique stories tied directly to the actions of the character you are playing is a hallmark of the genre. Not having the exact same experience as every other person who played the game. Even the faction based karmic system in NV had influence on how your playthrough would develop.

I hate the trending towards a themepark adventure RPG-lite in the genre. It's formulaic and bland. We should have more options than "Kill/Help".

fallout games definitely have a silly element.

i remember fallout 2 i found this random spawn it brought you to a bridge and at the other end the guy was in a robe. he asks you questions just like in the monty python movie. idk if the questions were the same or if they were just similar it was a long time ago.

but anyways i answered correctly and he drops the robe.. you put it on and now when i punch people they fly across the room.

fucking amazing.

That's not a gold star for RPG's. There are supposed to be limitations to what you can do. You should have quests and areas blocked off or opened up if you side with an opposing faction.

Being able to do every quest, join every group, and become the headmaster of every faction defeats the purpose of having any choices at all in the game. Having unique stories tied directly to the actions of the character you are playing is a hallmark of the genre. Not having the exact same experience as every other person who played the game. Even the faction based karmic system in NV had influence on how your playthrough would develop.

I hate the trending towards a themepark adventure RPG-lite in the genre. It's formulaic and bland. We should have more options than "Kill/Help".

This x1000

With Fallout:NV you HAVE to play through the game with at least 6 or 7 different characters just to experience the main story lines.

As D4arkness pointed out, Fallout 3 had more points to go find, but Fallout:NV has WAY MORE stuff to actually experiance.

Personally, I have no desire to play through most games 6-7 times. I just want to be part of a story of some kind. I think a lot of games give you the illusion of choice, but in most cases it just ends up being the same game but you have different allies. Admittedly I didn't swap every single choice in New Vegas, but it felt like more of the same in that direction. The Legion and Republic seemed to be the only major forks in the plot.

I'd rather have some giant epic story I can explore every corner of (Baldur's Gate, Fallout 3, Dragon Age 1, etc.) instead of having to start over again and again just to have a slightly different faction helping you in a battle or two.

Rage isn't bad, especially not as bad as people like to make out. It's not the best game in the world either, its more middle tier. The only real issues with it were small fixable texture bugs (mainly on AMD cards) during launch, which most id games have, yet this one was hugely terrible! If you spent 5 minutes it was pretty fixable at launch, and it wasn't game breaking in any way, infact unless you were told what to look for, most people probably wouldn't have noticed... The textures were worse in Skyrim but no one minded. :p But the bitching ball got rolling and on it went into some massive worst game evar affair, like always.The gameplay was fine and didn't have any issues that you couldn't say about 99% of other games. Most people seemed to have gotten behind whats popular with the incrowd and just followed along like sheep (and everyone wanted to get ID because they mentioned the word console :eek:), and barely anyone seems to have actually played it. But people love to bitch about something, so you know. :D

But they aren't really the same kind of game, both are non linear shooters to some extent, but FO3 is more RPG focused, and Rage is more action. FO3 has more stuff to do, so will probably make it a longer game, but neither is a bad choice.

Fallout = RPG with shooting elements
RAGE = Shooter with a few RPG elements

That basically sums it up. IMO, the Fallout games are much better uses of your money.

Personally, I have no desire to play through most games 6-7 times. I just want to be part of a story of some kind. I think a lot of games give you the illusion of choice, but in most cases it just ends up being the same game but you have different allies. Admittedly I didn't swap every single choice in New Vegas, but it felt like more of the same in that direction. The Legion and Republic seemed to be the only major forks in the plot.

I'd rather have some giant epic story I can explore every corner of (Baldur's Gate, Fallout 3, Dragon Age 1, etc.) instead of having to start over again and again just to have a slightly different faction helping you in a battle or two.

There are definitely not just 2 options in NV. My favorite was when I took over Vegas for myself and myself alone. It played out very much differently, as I didn't ally with either of those factions you mentioned. It wasn't "just a battle or two", it was entire quest arcs you never saw.

You already said NV has more replayability, and you liked it quite a bit. What makes you think you have to play it 6-7 times? If you already enjoyed it even though you havent seen most of the outcomes, why worry? Does it bother you that you actually missed out on quite a bit?

You already said NV has more replayability, and you liked it quite a bit. What makes you think you have to play it 6-7 times? If you already enjoyed it even though you havent seen most of the outcomes, why worry? Does it bother you that you actually missed out on quite a bit?

Essentially, yes :) I don't want to have to start a new game to see half of the game. That has irritated me going all the way back to Phantasy Star 3. I rarely replay RPG's. There's just too much slow paced repetition involved.
I had a blast with the game, but I personally would prefer to be able to see and do everything in one playthough. I still like it, I just like the structure of Fallout 3 better. Let me do everything I want without having to keep 20 different savegames or start over every time. I don't really care about choice since everything is still scripted anyway. A good chunk of NV's size requires you to replay the game, or go back to a very, very early save.

Either way, both Fallout games are still better than Rage. For that matter, Borderlands (which is a closer comparison, IMO) is too.

rage is out for sure.

out of FO3 and NV that is a hard choice. I personally like FO 3 more because it was new to me.......But having never played either they will both be new to you. I think if I played NV first and FO3 second I'd probably like NV more......that is until you include the expansion pack Point Lookout in FO3....then its FO3 hands down.

Point Lookout is the shit that was so damn fun.

Essentially, yes :) I don't want to have to start a new game to see half of the game. That has irritated me going all the way back to Phantasy Star 3. I rarely replay RPG's. There's just too much slow paced repetition involved.
I had a blast with the game, but I personally would prefer to be able to see and do everything in one playthough. I still like it, I just like the structure of Fallout 3 better. Let me do everything I want without having to keep 20 different savegames or start over every time. I don't really care about choice since everything is still scripted anyway. A good chunk of NV's size requires you to replay the game, or go back to a very, very early save.

Either way, both Fallout games are still better than Rage. For that matter, Borderlands (which is a closer comparison, IMO) is too.

One example of why this causes me grief is in Skyrim how you can become the head of the College of Winterhold without having any spell casting aptitude. I realize you want to absorb the whole game, but it really makes zero sense in the gameworld.

One example of why this causes me grief is in Skyrim how you can become the head of the College of Winterhold without having any spell casting aptitude. I realize you want to absorb the whole game, but it really makes zero sense in the gameworld.

That and the questline to do so is incredibly short? The college line really felt as though you weren't involved very much.

just get both FO3 and NV + all the DLC and have a awesome time for the next 200 hours

I've spent more time doing interviews for a single job.

One thing that I appreciated DA2 trying to do was the different time-elapsed chapters. They didn't do it very well, but I think if done right it would work well for the RPG genre, where you get a bit of story and 5 years elapse, and perhaps then you have a chance to come back in as the Arch Mage.

FO3 environments > FONV
FONV Gameplay > FO3

I completely agree about the environments and mods compound that. With the right mods FO3 gameplay is the better of the two imo. I still haven't found the mod combo for New vegas to match FO3 with FWE, MMM, Project beauty HD, DC interiors, and a few other miscellaneous mods.

What are the must have mods for FO3? Thinking about reinstalling it. Wonder if it will run on WIndows 8...

yes yes... screenshot thread.. i know i know.. oh well..

a day full of lulz:

preparing...
1screenshot134.jpg

here we go!
2screenshot104.jpg

3screenshot285.jpg

4screenshot319.jpg

5screenshot320.jpg

6screenshot126.jpg

6screenshot443.jpg

7screenshot149.jpg

ahhh.. many lulz... wash all the gore away... just another day in the office.. :p

8screenshot246.jpg

What are the must have mods for FO3? Thinking about reinstalling it. Wonder if it will run on WIndows 8...

man i used a ton of them, a looong list, all coherent, related and without conflicts, these screens are all from 2010, it was my last run.. i saved all mods compressed on a dvd9, theyre probably all outdated but i can give you some tips:

you will need: FO3Edit, FOSE, FOMM, ArchiveInvalidation Invalidated and Large Address Aware Enabler.

some mods to look for are: NMCs full max, TYPE3, Lings, Book of Earache, Marts Mutant Mod, Killable Children (those pests..), DarNified, Fellout, Enhanced Blood Textures, EVE... texture and effects related stuff.

earache was banned from the nexus and the eXcalibr Book of Earache was the best mod ever (aside from NMCs), try searching for it on the web, i even feel sorry for all the people who have to play the game without it, all because of some draconian motherfucker decision, the 101 of "how to fuck everything up" by Dark0ne...

man i used a ton of them, a looong list, all coherent, related and without conflicts, these screens are all from 2010, it was my last run.. i saved all mods compressed on a dvd9, theyre probably all outdated but i can give you some tips:

you will need: FO3Edit, FOSE, FOMM, ArchiveInvalidation Invalidated and Large Address Aware Enabler.

some mods to look for are: NMCs full max, TYPE3, Lings, Book of Earache, Marts Mutant Mod, Killable Children (those pests..), DarNified, Fellout, Enhanced Blood Textures, EVE... texture and effects related stuff.

earache was banned from the nexus and the eXcalibr Book of Earache was the best mod ever (aside from NMCs), try searching for it on the web, i even feel sorry for all the people who have to play the game without it, all because of some draconian motherfucker decision, the 101 of "how to fuck everything up" by Dark0ne...

Found a good list of mods to download. Are there known issues with some of the more popular downloads not working with each other? I really don't want to spend a bunch of time playing the game to have it bug out or crash when I get to a certain point because of mod interference.

She needs to eat extra Brahmin beef or else she won't survive the wasteland for long.

Found a good list of mods to download. Are there known issues with some of the more popular downloads not working with each other? I really don't want to spend a bunch of time playing the game to have it bug out or crash when I get to a certain point because of mod interference.

Last I remember, most of the big name ones work well together, but require some modding tools to sort of patch them all together. Or at least merge leveled lists (i.e. so that drops from one mod doesn't overwrite drops from another). Some of those mods were releasing compatibility patches with other well known mods. I haven't kept track of the latest though.

hey i made a screen of what was on the dvd, hope that helps you, mind you that i re-compressed and combined most them into single archives for easy management but i think it will give you an idea, also, looking at the dates on the archives it was 2011 when i last played, not 2010 (damn brain, duh) :p

modlist.jpg

rage pretends to be an open world game, but it really is not. it just fails on multiple levels. for fallout I prefer NV, mainly for the added weapon/bullet mechanics. but you can't go wrong with either one.

She needs to eat extra Brahmin beef or else she won't survive the wasteland for long.

hey life is hard on the wasteland! theres no doritos, hot pockets and chicken nuggets on the couch in front of a tv all day long there!

fuuuck.. damn thing doesnt go out of my head now... fuuuck, i have 387 screens on a folder, i browsed them because of this thread and started to remember it... it was so great, i think it was one of the top 10 games in my life.. bah, i have to start gothic 3 first. And dark souls! geez i got that game one month ago and i dont even started it yet! ok, i'll go gothic, then i'll get sleeping dogs and then i'll play dark souls... but i know i will have to replay fallout 3 someday, it doesnt go away!

well, if theres anyone meaning to start fallot 3 heres a tip: find the fallout.ini, i think theres one or two of them, find the line "bUseThreadedAI=0" and change it to "bUseThreadedAI=1", add another line after it and insert "iNumHWThreads=2". the latest patch breaks the multicore support, the game will crash without this.

a few more pics, type 3 base model slim (pr0n stuff mspaint edited) and wearing lings stuff:

1screenshot301.jpg

2screenshot92.jpg

i'll leave this thread alone now ;)

Back