Radeon VII having problems?..

nEo717

Limp Gawd
JayZ Two Cents having problems with Radeon VII - Hopefully not another video card launch like 2080/Ti (and just JayZ) - Looking forward to Hardocp review.

Sounds like some of the issues will be resolved in the next driver update which is good....but this card definitely does not seem ready for launch just yet with the given media drivers.

The random black screen & restarts with certain motherboard brands like ASUS is worrying though - especially since AMD has been aware of the issue and it still hasn't been fixed in the next driver update yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: GHRTW
like this
Gamers Nexus reported driver issues too.
https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3437-amd-radeon-vii-review-not-ready-for-launch

Also they had a section regarding the thermal pads vs paste application - curious to see how [H] fared with their thermal paste reapplication.

Looking like a card made for AIO and custom loops... Frame Times look really good, some more modern games (battlefield V as example) the frame times are better than even the 2080 Ti (tech report review). AMD continues to give the mainstream options, and that's good.

The one thing I'll say for nVidia, they are not making it easy for AMD - even in a time with little competition, AMD will have their hands full to take the crown - though with Intel not less than a year away from entering the market, who knows maybe they will drive tech to a new level in the gaming graphics market (or at least tell us they did :)

Drivers can fix only so much but I don't know what they were thinking when they slapped on a cooler that doesn't seem to perform without excessive noise. Might be a good option if you intend to watercool the card but not with the stock cooler. For noise reasons that is, seems like it doesn't overclock at all.

Last edited:
Glad I held onto my 1080TI. I will stay with it for a bit longer.
Were you going to jump ship to a Radeon VII?

From what I've seen in the benchmarks today, there are some driver issues that may be holding the Radeon VII back, but it's otherwise not really that big a surprise. I would be interested to see what it does with water cooling or overclocking, though.

Nvidia has done a pretty good job of making overclocking a graphics card not any fun in the last three years. It would be neat to see some cards that don't have a padlock on all the overclocking potential.

It is what I thought it would be. History once again repeats itself.

From what I've seen in the benchmarks today, there are some driver issues that may be holding the Radeon VII back, but it's otherwise not really that big a surprise. I would be interested to see what it does with water cooling or overclocking, though.

Nvidia has done a pretty good job of making overclocking a graphics card not any fun in the last three years. It would be neat to see some cards that don't have a padlock on all the overclocking potential.

I have had more fun tweaking and OC'ing my VEGAs then any other GPU in the last decade...My 7950s X fire under water (30% OC and was stable with 2 mins of work and the burn in period)...290s in X fire, (27% OC, same result as 7950s)...My 980TI, crank the sliders and it was it (I did not keep the card that long and did not mess with custom BIOS and such at the time since I was traveling a lot during this period on the poker circuit...

Vega on the other hand has been really fun. It did help that I managed to snag some Golden sample cards out of the 8 total I had purchased, but under water these cards fly. It was always fun seeing the Nvidia crowd make claims that were false because they based their results on outdated reference cooled cards...That being said there is something to be said for not having shit drivers at launch, and Lisa Su does not get a pass for this considering she KNEW everyone would be watching after what Raja pulled with the VEGA launch..They should have delayed the launch for a week and pushed out a better release.

I look forward to playing with my pair of VIIs, especially when I can get some gpu blocks for them. It sucks that I moved across the country last year since I scrapped tons of spare parts, and at least 10 waterblocks I could have used to at least cool the GPU/HBM while I was waiting for a full cover block. The cards definitely seem to have a lot of potential, and the compute performance is just drool worthy.

Reactions: Boil
like this
From initial reports, it's doing numbers as was projected (2080ish levels) though the energy consumption and noise aren't great.

I'm not holding out hope that driver revisions will add much speed - but hopefully at least fix stability. If it does manage to bump performance up, that will be a great bonus for sure.

I'm definitely itching to buy it but looking at the numbers, I just can't justify a side-grade from my Titan Xps though another 'All AMD' build is on my to do list.

I was but not sure if I am going to now.

NV GPU issues, AMD GPU issues
Intel, please come and save us all!!!!!

NV GPU issues, AMD GPU issues
Intel, please come and save us all!!!!!

I hear you, but honestly, the best thing would be a completely different company filled with disgruntled companies from all those firms with some serious investment capital.

I want Orchid to come back. Or maybe Number9.

According to this guy, his Radeon VII is having issues with the PCI-E slot on certain mobos with PCI-E armor.

I hear you, but honestly, the best thing would be a completely different company filled with disgruntled companies from all those firms with some serious investment capital.

I want Orchid to come back. Or maybe Number9.
Companies which make GPU engines for ARM chips could in theory be also making GPUs for PC isf scaled up.
They do not attempt it because it would require insane amount of R&D time and money and in this market they would need to really make big chips, something these companies never do.

Hahahaha. You really think Intel with Raja in charge is going to save anyone.:eek:
It will be at least more interesting situation for clients than what we have now.
Intel iGPU performance in their top of the line Iris Pro was at the time pretty decent compared to AMD APUs so who knows maybe they will be able to compete in top end.

Secretly I hope they will concentrate on ray-tracing but looking realistically it probably will be strong compute card with game performance only being side effect. After all Intel wants HPC market, not gaming GPU market...

For anyone who wants to see if Radeon 7 is an overclocker under better than stock cooling:

Meh, a somewhat disappointing card with lackluster results, and despite it being on a new node it draws more power than a RTX 2080 Ti and yet it is slower than it which makes this card quite unattractive.

Meh, a somewhat disappointing card with lackluster results, and despite it being on a new node it draws more power than a RTX 2080 Ti and yet it is slower than it which makes this card quite unattractive.

2080ti is ridiculously overpriced has less vram and suffers from memory degradation, imagine all those 2080ti owners pulling their hair out when the card fails soon after warranty expires. rtx is a joke even on the one game it "just works" on and by the time rtx becomes mainstream 2080ti will be obsolete.

I have been playing games at 5k ultrawide 5120x2160 with radeon 7 i get well over 60 fps on all latest games including bfv at ultra settings and the card is quiet and undervolted to 940mv which draws far less power than 2080 and 2080ti

Last edited:
I have been playing games at 5k ultrawide 5120x2160 with radeon 7 i get well over 60 fps on all latest games including bfv at ultra settings and the card is quiet and undervolted to 940mv which draws far less power than 2080 and 2080ti
Sebd email to AMD then. They maybe do not realize they can decrease voltage and get lower power consumption

i found that i can manually set the memory to 1200 max setting without touching any voltage and it will show as 800 mhz in some parts of the graph and 1200 in others but the line is stable but in game (assetto corsa 5120x2160 ultra) the fps went from 90 fps to over 110 fps.

update:- managed to get stable 1850 core and 1200 mhz memory with nice gains

2000mhz should be attainable on water.

Last edited:
Reactions: N4CR
like this
Without OCing results the Radeon VII so far falls short. 5% to 6% slower than an OC RTX 2080 from AnAndTech testing. Noisy, hot. If it turns out that they can OC like the initial 7970’s, pure sleeper cards then sign me up.

The cooler fan combo does not look like it will support good OCing. Unless you have an A/C cooled case. Would be nice if AMD had a liquid cool version or if AIB sticks a better collet on a Referance board. That is if the card has good OCing ability.

Without OCing results the Radeon VII so far falls short. 5% to 6% slower than an OC RTX 2080 from AnAndTech testing. Noisy, hot. If it turns out that they can OC like the initial 7970’s, pure sleeper cards then sign me up.

The cooler fan combo does not look like it will support good OCing. Unless you have an A/C cooled case. Would be nice if AMD had a liquid cool version or if AIB sticks a better collet on a Referance board. That is if the card has good OCing ability.

check my post above and you will see it has good overclocking ability with the stock cooler, there will be no aib boards for r7 but ekb will have a waterblock ready in 2 months time. gone are the days of massive gains from overclocking because gpus are approacjing their limits.

check my post above and you will see it has good overclocking ability with the stock cooler, there will be no aib boards for r7 but ekb will have a waterblock ready in 2 months time. gone are the days of massive gains from overclocking because gpus are approacjing their limits.
Maybe ASUS or MSI will stick a better cooler on the reference board. Reference board is rather good, cooler does not appear to be that great for this GPU. If AMD can show a strong enough demand, great OCer, can supply the reference boards etc. Anyways that is the jest.

Maybe ASUS or MSI will stick a better cooler on the reference board. Reference board is rather good, cooler does not appear to be that great for this GPU. If AMD can show a strong enough demand, great OCer, can supply the reference boards etc. Anyways that is the jest.
That is what Sapphire did with the R9 290X tri x :) Reference board just a better cooling solution :)

Well that is encouraging, will see what Brent experience is on the Vega VII.

Well that is encouraging, will see what Brent experience is on the Vega VII.

I think that delaying there review could certainly end up being a positive for the Vega VII. I still can't get over that they would release these cards to reviewers with such bad drivers.

Reactions: noko
like this
I think that delaying there review could certainly end up being a positive for the Vega VII. I still can't get over that they would release these cards to reviewers with such bad drivers.
Well it makes sense if you knew that Navi was slotted for release rather then Radeon 7. It explains why the cooling solution is very average and the driver situation ...

Sounds like some of the issues will be resolved in the next driver update which is good....but this card definitely does not seem ready for launch just yet with the given media drivers.

The random black screen & restarts with certain motherboard brands like ASUS is worrying though - especially since AMD has been aware of the issue and it still hasn't been fixed in the next driver update yet.
All solved with the latest official drivers from AMD. Another update will be required for fan noise issue. Also apparently the video bios is lacking uefi support. I believe a video bios update will be available in short order.

ekb will have a waterblock ready in 2 months time..

Do you have verifiable proof of this? I can't seem to find anything on Google, and emails to EK have gone unanswered so that does not seem to bode well. I need a pair of them myself.

I'd really like to see this card in a water cooling setup. I need a new card now as my son's video card has died and I'm going to give him my RX480. I think that Watercooled this could be a very good card. But it's to noisy and hot in its current form. I can't wait 2 months without my PC either. Decisions, decisions.

Do you have verifiable proof of this? I can't seem to find anything on Google, and emails to EK have gone unanswered so that does not seem to bode well. I need a pair of them myself.

I found URL on EKWB website a few days back for Radeon VII from google search for Radeon VII coolers... The card is also already in their configurator - I'll see if I kept the URL to the block when get home, if so, I'll post URL.

Back