Radeon VII having problems?..

Discussion in 'Video Cards' started by nEo717, Feb 7, 2019.

1. nEo717

nEo717 Limp Gawd

JayZ Two Cents having problems with Radeon VII - Hopefully not another video card launch like 2080/Ti (and just JayZ) - Looking forward to Hardocp review.

2. exlink

exlink 2[H]4U

Sounds like some of the issues will be resolved in the next driver update which is good....but this card definitely does not seem ready for launch just yet with the given media drivers.

The random black screen & restarts with certain motherboard brands like ASUS is worrying though - especially since AMD has been aware of the issue and it still hasn't been fixed in the next driver update yet.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    GHRTW likes this.
  3. SeymourGore

SeymourGore 2[H]4U

nEo717 likes this.
  4. nEo717

nEo717 Limp Gawd

Looking like a card made for AIO and custom loops... Frame Times look really good, some more modern games (battlefield V as example) the frame times are better than even the 2080 Ti (tech report review). AMD continues to give the mainstream options, and that's good.

The one thing I'll say for nVidia, they are not making it easy for AMD - even in a time with little competition, AMD will have their hands full to take the crown - though with Intel not less than a year away from entering the market, who knows maybe they will drive tech to a new level in the gaming graphics market (or at least tell us they did :)

5. thenjduke

thenjduke Limp Gawd

Glad I held onto my 1080TI. I will stay with it for a bit longer.

6. kasakka

kasakka Gawd

Drivers can fix only so much but I don't know what they were thinking when they slapped on a cooler that doesn't seem to perform without excessive noise. Might be a good option if you intend to watercool the card but not with the stock cooler. For noise reasons that is, seems like it doesn't overclock at all.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  7. RazorWind

RazorWind 2[H]4U

Were you going to jump ship to a Radeon VII?

From what I've seen in the benchmarks today, there are some driver issues that may be holding the Radeon VII back, but it's otherwise not really that big a surprise. I would be interested to see what it does with water cooling or overclocking, though.

Nvidia has done a pretty good job of making overclocking a graphics card not any fun in the last three years. It would be neat to see some cards that don't have a padlock on all the overclocking potential.

nEo717 likes this.
  8. Krenum

Krenum [H]ardForum Junkie

It is what I thought it would be. History once again repeats itself.

9. Kyle_Bennett

Kyle_Bennett Editor-in-Chief HardOCP Staff Member

I have a driver fix along with a regedit that fixed the blackscreen problem on Threadripper. Been working with AMD for a couple of days to resolve this. Also worth noting, AMD told us this was a known issue a week ago.

10. ccityinstaller

ccityinstaller 2[H]4U

I have had more fun tweaking and OC'ing my VEGAs then any other GPU in the last decade...My 7950s X fire under water (30% OC and was stable with 2 mins of work and the burn in period)...290s in X fire, (27% OC, same result as 7950s)...My 980TI, crank the sliders and it was it (I did not keep the card that long and did not mess with custom BIOS and such at the time since I was traveling a lot during this period on the poker circuit...

Vega on the other hand has been really fun. It did help that I managed to snag some Golden sample cards out of the 8 total I had purchased, but under water these cards fly. It was always fun seeing the Nvidia crowd make claims that were false because they based their results on outdated reference cooled cards...That being said there is something to be said for not having shit drivers at launch, and Lisa Su does not get a pass for this considering she KNEW everyone would be watching after what Raja pulled with the VEGA launch..They should have delayed the launch for a week and pushed out a better release.

I look forward to playing with my pair of VIIs, especially when I can get some gpu blocks for them. It sucks that I moved across the country last year since I scrapped tons of spare parts, and at least 10 waterblocks I could have used to at least cool the GPU/HBM while I was waiting for a full cover block. The cards definitely seem to have a lot of potential, and the compute performance is just drool worthy.

Boil likes this.
  11. dvsman

dvsman 2[H]4U

From initial reports, it's doing numbers as was projected (2080ish levels) though the energy consumption and noise aren't great.

I'm not holding out hope that driver revisions will add much speed - but hopefully at least fix stability. If it does manage to bump performance up, that will be a great bonus for sure.

I'm definitely itching to buy it but looking at the numbers, I just can't justify a side-grade from my Titan Xps though another 'All AMD' build is on my to do list.

12. thenjduke

thenjduke Limp Gawd

I was but not sure if I am going to now.

13. thenjduke

thenjduke Limp Gawd

I will say this much I know if this happen in my job going live it would be whose head is going to be on the chopping block.

nEo717 likes this.
  14. Boil

Boil [H]ard|Gawd

But then they could not have released the Radeon VII on the 7th...

cybereality and Maddness like this.
  15. Kor

Kor 2[H]4U

mArKEtiNg

16. XoR_

XoR_ Gawd

NV GPU issues, AMD GPU issues
    Intel, please come and save us all!!!!!

17. PhaseNoise

PhaseNoise [H]ard|Gawd

I hear you, but honestly, the best thing would be a completely different company filled with disgruntled companies from all those firms with some serious investment capital.

I want Orchid to come back. Or maybe Number9.

dragonstongue likes this.
  18. CAD4466HK

CAD4466HK Gawd

According to this guy, his Radeon VII is having issues with the PCI-E slot on certain mobos with PCI-E armor.

19. Maddness

Maddness [H]ard|Gawd

Hahahaha. You really think Intel with Raja in charge is going to save anyone.:eek:

Brian_B, Armenius, kirbyrj and 2 others like this.
  20. Iceshot

Iceshot Limp Gawd

Kyle_Bennett Would you be willing to test and report on a "washer mod" Techpowerup spoke of in their Radeon VII review? He said the washers gave much better heatsink contact across the GPU and lowered temps 10c (see link below).

RadeonViiWasherMod.jpg

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Radeon_VII/33.html

Interested to see if you see if you duplicate similar temperature drops. I dont think Techpowerup was able to test this "washer mod" on a stock thermal pad Radeon VII (their card already removed the pad and used aftermarket paste). Bonus if you can test and report back on this mod on a stock thermal pad as well as applying your own paste. Appreciate your time and consideration.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  21. XoR_

XoR_ Gawd

Companies which make GPU engines for ARM chips could in theory be also making GPUs for PC isf scaled up.
    They do not attempt it because it would require insane amount of R&D time and money and in this market they would need to really make big chips, something these companies never do.

It will be at least more interesting situation for clients than what we have now.
    Intel iGPU performance in their top of the line Iris Pro was at the time pretty decent compared to AMD APUs so who knows maybe they will be able to compete in top end.

Secretly I hope they will concentrate on ray-tracing but looking realistically it probably will be strong compute card with game performance only being side effect. After all Intel wants HPC market, not gaming GPU market...

Maddness likes this.
  22. GHRTW

GHRTW n00b

For anyone who wants to see if Radeon 7 is an overclocker under better than stock cooling:

23. sparks

sparks 2[H]4U

kyle destroyed the stock thermal pad on teardown.
    ps he said it was great on crackers LOL

24. ChronoDetector

ChronoDetector 2[H]4U

Meh, a somewhat disappointing card with lackluster results, and despite it being on a new node it draws more power than a RTX 2080 Ti and yet it is slower than it which makes this card quite unattractive.

Armenius, 5150Joker and Dayaks like this.
  25. jaggafeen

jaggafeen n00b

2080ti is ridiculously overpriced has less vram and suffers from memory degradation, imagine all those 2080ti owners pulling their hair out when the card fails soon after warranty expires. rtx is a joke even on the one game it "just works" on and by the time rtx becomes mainstream 2080ti will be obsolete.

I have been playing games at 5k ultrawide 5120x2160 with radeon 7 i get well over 60 fps on all latest games including bfv at ultra settings and the card is quiet and undervolted to 940mv which draws far less power than 2080 and 2080ti

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    Legendary Gamer, kirbyrj and N4CR like this.
  26. XoR_

XoR_ Gawd

Sebd email to AMD then. They maybe do not realize they can decrease voltage and get lower power consumption

27. jaggafeen

jaggafeen n00b

i found that i can manually set the memory to 1200 max setting without touching any voltage and it will show as 800 mhz in some parts of the graph and 1200 in others but the line is stable but in game (assetto corsa 5120x2160 ultra) the fps went from 90 fps to over 110 fps.

update:- managed to get stable 1850 core and 1200 mhz memory with nice gains

2000mhz should be attainable on water.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    N4CR likes this.
  28. noko

noko 2[H]4U

Without OCing results the Radeon VII so far falls short. 5% to 6% slower than an OC RTX 2080 from AnAndTech testing. Noisy, hot. If it turns out that they can OC like the initial 7970’s, pure sleeper cards then sign me up.

The cooler fan combo does not look like it will support good OCing. Unless you have an A/C cooled case. Would be nice if AMD had a liquid cool version or if AIB sticks a better collet on a Referance board. That is if the card has good OCing ability.

29. jaggafeen

jaggafeen n00b

check my post above and you will see it has good overclocking ability with the stock cooler, there will be no aib boards for r7 but ekb will have a waterblock ready in 2 months time. gone are the days of massive gains from overclocking because gpus are approacjing their limits.

30. noko

noko 2[H]4U

Maybe ASUS or MSI will stick a better cooler on the reference board. Reference board is rather good, cooler does not appear to be that great for this GPU. If AMD can show a strong enough demand, great OCer, can supply the reference boards etc. Anyways that is the jest.

31. Master_shake_

Master_shake_ Little Bitch

did jayz drill a hole in it?

Armenius likes this.
  32. PhaseNoise

PhaseNoise [H]ard|Gawd

Poor Kim K.

33. Pieter3dnow

Pieter3dnow [H]ardness Supreme

That is what Sapphire did with the R9 290X tri x :) Reference board just a better cooling solution :)

34. noko

noko 2[H]4U

Well that is encouraging, will see what Brent experience is on the Vega VII.

35. Maddness

Maddness [H]ard|Gawd

I think that delaying there review could certainly end up being a positive for the Vega VII. I still can't get over that they would release these cards to reviewers with such bad drivers.

noko likes this.
  36. Boil

Boil [H]ard|Gawd

Would be funny, except JayZ is with Beyonce, not Kim Kardashian...

37. Pieter3dnow

Pieter3dnow [H]ardness Supreme

Well it makes sense if you knew that Navi was slotted for release rather then Radeon 7. It explains why the cooling solution is very average and the driver situation ...

Maddness likes this.
  38. os2wiz

os2wiz Gawd

All solved with the latest official drivers from AMD. Another update will be required for fan noise issue. Also apparently the video bios is lacking uefi support. I believe a video bios update will be available in short order.

exlink likes this.
  39. CAD4466HK

CAD4466HK Gawd

nEo717 and exlink like this.
  40. ccityinstaller

ccityinstaller 2[H]4U

Do you have verifiable proof of this? I can't seem to find anything on Google, and emails to EK have gone unanswered so that does not seem to bode well. I need a pair of them myself.