• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Radeon HD5570 install problem

duaneeddy

n00b
Joined
Apr 25, 2010
Messages
6
Card: SAPPHIRE Radeon HD5570 1GB DDR3
PC: Compaq Presario SR2180NX, MOBO P5LP-LE
User: Knowledgeable enough to be dangerous :D

Ok, where to start- I've followed the "vague" directions that came with the card, however when I power up the PC, it doesn't go past the initial power-up phase. The DVD-ROM spins up, but I don't hear the hard drive spin up, and I get no image on the monitor. I've disabled the on-board graphics, both in the control panel and in the BIOS, as the directions stated, but no luck. When I take the card back out, everything is back to normal. I've installed a 500W Power Supply since the original (300W) wasn't enough (400W required).

I guess my question is "What am I missing here?" Support from ATI/AMD is not user friendly (to be polite) and I don't know what my next step is... any help would be appreciated.
 
Which 500w power supply?
Edit: Exact same thing happened to my friend. He didn't have his 6 pin plugged into the card.
 
In addition to lloose's excellent question, read through this Basic Troubleshooting Guide on what to do when the PC does not POST
 
Thanks for the quick reply- power supply is OCZ Technology 500W MODXTREAM-PRO. Not sure what you mean by 6pin, but I plugged everything in that I unplugged when removing the old PS.
 
Thanks for the quick reply- power supply is OCZ Technology 500W MODXTREAM-PRO. Not sure what you mean by 6pin, but I plugged everything in that I unplugged when removing the old PS.

Theres a 6 pin cord that needs to be plugged in the back of your video card. Look in one of the "vents" on the butt side of your video card.
 
Theres a 6 pin cord that needs to be plugged in the back of your video card. Look in one of the "vents" on the butt side of your video card.

The 5570 doesn't have a 6-pin power connector.

Do you get the POST beep?

I would remove the video card, and try booting without it. If you have another video card that is known to work, try that as well. Process of elimination.

EDIT: Also, try with your old PSU, assuming it is in good working order. If all else fails, take your PSU to a local computer shop... any of them should have a PSU tester on hand, and can plug it in for you to tell you if it's any good or not. I'm leaning towards it (the power supply) being the culprit.
 
I have tried booting without the card in and everything is fine at that point- originally tried to install with old power supply- had same problem. I do not get the POST beep when booting with the new graphics card installed.
 
Well, if possible, test the card in another box to be 100% certain that it's what is causing the issue.

If not, you've got something in the PCI-E slot causing a short, or some other issue with your motherboard. If so, I'd get a refund, or RMA the card.
 
Back
Top