Radeon HD 7970 CrossfrieX Issues

In bios I changed the settings to pcie 2.0 just to see what happens I don't get any issues when I run Crossfire 2 Cards. as long as its Card 1 in Slot 16x and Card 2 in Slot 8x but if I try using Card 3 with either first or second card I get issues. Most things I read say they get problems with Cfx in general. I'm using 5 screens as well. 5 screens CFx no problem, trifire I get a freeze. so it seems the only time I get issues is when im using my third card. any other configuration results in 0 problems everything runs smooth for hours.

And now we have the 12.10 WHQL and 12.11 beta drivers. I went straight to 12.11 because it's one better - same old shit. Skyrim hangs 25 or so minutes into it, hard lock on the system, looping audio.

Still not fixed.

This is how I have managed to fix my various issues with Crossfire...

20120822_233939_zpsf2077098.jpg

I hated to conceed defeat but that's how I fixed my issues as well.

I installed the new 12.11 beta3 drivers and i got my Full Freeze back :( everything was running so smooth but i did also updated to the latest bios 3010 i think... both at once ... that was a bad idea but i was just so excited when i saw new stuff, so now I'm not sure which ruined it

the only problem i had and still have with any driver (using 12.10 now) is if I leave the UPLS enable... when my second card jumps in sometimes my system crash and I need to shut down,unplug the crossfire bridge, turn on pc, log on windows, then shut down, plug it back, turn the pc on and enable crossfire back on control centre.

If i leave UPLS disable I don't have any problems.

I'd love to ditch this whole stack of AMD crap but I also have 3 Samsung S27A750D 120hz 3D monitors which don't work correctly with 3D surround, so I'm married to the AMD world.

For worse or for worser.

I dont know how it happened but i played at least an hour with trifire on with no freezes... i had latest bios 3010, latest CCC 12.11 beta4, and everything was on PCI-e2.0 (in bios). Although scaling was not that great... it was decent but i think something happened when i changed maps in gw2 cuz my fps dropped a lot... although when i was playing it was around 60 with everything maxed so i was pleasantly surprised. maybe i just got lucky this time... will try again tonight.

I dont know how it happened but i played at least an hour with trifire on with no freezes... i had latest bios 3010, latest CCC 12.11 beta4, and everything was on PCI-e2.0 (in bios). Although scaling was not that great... it was decent but i think something happened when i changed maps in gw2 cuz my fps dropped a lot... although when i was playing it was around 60 with everything maxed so i was pleasantly surprised. maybe i just got lucky this time... will try again tonight.

On one or two occasions I got to play on my CrossfireX 7970 setup for about an hour. I started to wonder if I was in the clear because I had usually only had it work for 45 minutes max. But the problems returned anyway. For some reason it goes beyond the normal time frame once in awhile.

You're right as soon as I turned it on it froze less than 2 seconds passed. Here's a question if I move to one monitor will trifire work? Not that I need trifire at that point but still will it work or will I still have the same issues?

You're right as soon as I turned it on it froze less than 2 seconds passed. Here's a question if I move to one monitor will trifire work? Not that I need trifire at that point but still will it work or will I still have the same issues?

I had no problems using one monitor with CrossfireX. I only had problems when Eyefinity was enabled.

Has anyone here tried crossfire + eyefinity under Windows 8? I have a pile of TechNet keys and since this crap doesn't work anyway I figure why not.

Has anyone here tried crossfire + eyefinity under Windows 8? I have a pile of TechNet keys and since this crap doesn't work anyway I figure why not.

I haven't. That would be interesting to see and if I still had two AMD Radeon HD 7970's I'd be game for trying that. I have doubts that things would be different under that OS as I suspect hardware or firmware are the culprits of this issue. But that would make for an interesting experiment.

So I installed Win8 yesterday, downloaded Skyrim, and played for a while. It eventually locked up, but did so in a slightly different manner. The audio loop didn't happen, and I was able to ctrl-alt-del out of the app, but couldn't click on anything or use the keyboard to navigate through task manager to force quit the app. Hitting shutdown from the c-a-d screen killed Skyrim and then prompted me to save a document I had open in another app, at which point I was able to regain full access to my system. This is only one datapoint and I need to do further testing. I've installed superf4 with hopes that I might be able to use that to force kill a hung game.

If this holds out, while it's certainly not an ideal situation, it's loads better than having to power cycle my system every time a game hangs. More details as I test more tonight.

I've been doing all my testing on Win 8 ... and I get both that situation, and sometimes i have to hold the power button down. Either way... I may be throwing in the towel here soon and going with 1 monitor and 1 or 2 cards... instead of trifire. I'm very disappointed, Last few days I've been playing window mode just so it will stay stable...

I've done some further testing under Win8 and I still can't seem to get it to lock hard. I'm not thinking I'm out of the woods yet, but it's definitely better.

Also, for the first time ever on this system across at least 10 installs of Win7 across I don't know how many Catalyst versions, I can finally use the CCC profiles to switch between Eyefinity and Extended mode. I cannot express how excited I am by this development, as enabling Eyefintiy has always involved a voodoo ritual of stabbing at things in CCC to hopefully maybe get a working Eyefinity config working when I'm done. Typical process is to enable Eyefinity, have it fail, switch to extended, have it work but disable one of my monitors, enable the monitor, have it fail, enable it again and it will work, then enable eyefinity again but this time select a different primary monitor. That exact sequence will maybe 50% of the time get me a working Eyefinity setup. Not doing all this crap is exciting indeed, as I can skip trying to make HydraGrid behave somewhat close to Aero Snap (which it never will duplicate exactly).

So far so good, maybe?

also for svideo, have you installed msi afterburner? or anything like that? I've been using windows 8 and my system freezes all the time.

So far I have tested Skyrim (which had pretty reliably failed in the past) along with Dirt 3 (which had also failed in the past but I was just in the mood for some racin' last night). Both of these were prone to the audio-loop hard crash in the past. I have a huge steam library, so I'm still in the process of re-downloading and installing games.

Are there any titles that others have had issues with that I might try?

Also, no Afterburner yet, as I keep reading that it might be a source of issues. I've been using Open Hardware Monitor to track GPU temps to ensure that I am in fact running all 3 cards.

you dont by any chance have guild wars 2? thats the game i play and i get constant freezes on trifire. I just bought windows 8, I will probably do a clean install again and not install msi afterburner... maybe try open hardware monitor.

No GW2 unfortunately. Here's what I do have, if you see something there that you know will crash, let me know and I'll give it a shot.

As mentioned, Dirt 3 would reliably crash on every install when used in crossfire + eyefinity, only in both, looping audio, etc etc just like everyone else in this thread. X79 motherboard, trifire 7970s, full details here.

Tonight I ran a race in Dirt 3 then let the replay loop while I went to a neighbors house to watch a movie. Can back 2 and half hours later and the replay was still running, and everything worked fine as I raced a couple more.

This has literally never happened on this system with crossfire + eyefinity enabled. I built this system beginning in dec of last year and bought the first pair of 7970s within minutes of them being available on newegg. Since receiving them, I haven't once been able to get a crossfire (and later trifire) config to work for anything longer than maybe 30 minutes, more typically hanging within seconds.

I have to say I'm a little surprised. I'm not 100% certain this thing is fixed, but since standing up Win8 with the 12.11b4 drivers I have yet to have the audio looping, hard power reset hang that I would receive constantly in every previous build of this system under Win7 and the previous drivers (literally, all of the release drivers, and most of the betas). As I mentioned above, crashes with crossfire+eyefinity would most often happen in seconds, so this is very positive news.

If this holds out for a few days I'm going shopping for a 4th card :D

Update: got another hang in Deus Ex: HR, was able to c-a-d out, couldn't use key/mouse in my session when launching task mgr, but was able to logon as my local admin, lauch task mgr, then kill the game process from that session, then log back in with my main user account with everything working fine.

It's still not ideal, but it's working, and I have yet to have to hard power off my system as a result of a video hang since I installed Win8 RTM + Cat 12.11b4.

I'm happy to hear its working for you. keep us updated on the 4th card and how it works.

svideo, are you currently Over Clocking your CPU? and what about RAM? and to what speeds? (I know your full details show your speeds, just wondering if you changed anything or reset bios when reinstalling windows)

svideo, are you currently Over Clocking your CPU? and what about RAM? and to what speeds? (I know your full details show your speeds, just wondering if you changed anything or reset bios when reinstalling windows)

I was experiencing problems with my RAM clocked over 1600, but there's not much performance to be gained there anyway so I now just leave it at 1600. The CPU is currently running at 4GHz on all cores until I'm satisfied that I have some sort of stability. These are also the settings I was using under Win7.

I had previously been able to get up to 5GHz but it ran pretty hot. A task for another day, right now I have video games to play!

You are brave sir. Good luck to you. Nice to see you sort of have all your problems resolved.

I wouldn't say all the problems are resolved, but it's definitely better. The occasional hang is something I can live with. I'd rather it didn't ever hang, but at least they're few and far between, along with being recoverable, if a bit of a pain to recover from.

Let's say it's good enough that I'm off the AMD hate train for a day or two, which was long enough for me to self-justify that 4th card that I've been waiting to buy until I had some hope of actually being able to use it. It's been over 10 months since the cards were originally purchased, I'm now just happy that I can use the damned things.

I wouldn't say all the problems are resolved, but it's definitely better. The occasional hang is something I can live with. I'd rather it didn't ever hang, but at least they're few and far between, along with being recoverable, if a bit of a pain to recover from.

Let's say it's good enough that I'm off the AMD hate train for a day or two, which was long enough for me to self-justify that 4th card that I've been waiting to buy until I had some hope of actually being able to use it. It's been over 10 months since the cards were originally purchased, I'm now just happy that I can use the damned things.

I'd have lived with it myself if that was the worst of my issues with my Radeon HD 7970 CrossfireX setup.

I've just gone back to Dan's original post. His original ASUS Rampage III Black Edition uses a X58 chipset and his replacement ASUS Rampage IV Extreme a X79. A perfect match, alas.

Thanks for that - in that thread, the dude was asking for PMs with people's email addresses that have been affected by this. Today an AMD employee emailed me a code for the never settle promo, which would have been great except that 4th card I just got also came with the same package.

Here's the contents of that message:
Hi,

My name is Simon Ng and I come to you from the Graphics Product Group (formerly known as ATI), here at AMD. I am reaching out to you because your email address was provided to me by Juan Lorenzo from the ASUS ROG forums, regarding the Eyefinity bug on the ASUS Rampage IV motherboards. As you are undoubtedly aware, we’ve identified a hardware incompatibility between certain Intel X58/X79 chipsets and our AMD Radeon™ HD 7000 Series products when run in CrossFire™ and Eyefinity. I would like to personally apologize to you on behalf of AMD for the frustration and the inconveniences this has caused you. It’s 100% understandable and while I won’t pretend to know how you and the others feel, I’m an avid gamer myself, so I do sympathize.

Nevertheless, you have my personal word that we’re doing all that we can to address this issue and that your feedback has been instrumental. We will do whatever we can from our end to resolve this and we won’t rest until it’s done. As a sign of your continued support in helping fix this bug, I’d like to provide you with a free coupon to our recently announced NEVER SETTLE bundle. Included in the code below is a copy of Far Cry 3, Hitman Absolution, Sleeping Dogs and a 20% off coupon for Medal of Honor Digital Deluxe Edition. You will need to visit the redemption site at www.amd.com/neversettlepromo where you be prompted to get your individual keys for each of those aforementioned games.

Your unique promotional code is: <yeah right, i'll find something to do with this>

Again, from one game to another, I apologize for the trouble and thank you once again for your continued patience. Stay tuned on the forums as we will provide any and all updates we get. If you have any questions please feel free to reach out to myself or Juan Lorenzo. Thanks again and we&#8217;ll be in touch.

Regards,
Simon Ng
AMD Graphics Product Group | [email protected]

So that's the good news! The bad news is that my PSU isn't up to running that 4th card, which resulted in a bunch of screwing around with the existing driver stack to get the 3 cards working again, and once all that was sorted... audio loop within a minute of starting Sleeping Dogs.

Whatever I had working is no longer working and I'm back to square one. I'm now waffling over re-re-re-re-re-re-re-installing Windows and hoping that I get lucky 2 times in a row, or just waiting some more to see if the email above is a precursor to AMD finally getting their shit together.

It's been since January. I'd just like to have these cards work reliably for a change.

Maybe before they release the next generation would be a good time. That could just be the release cycle! New hardware every year, then each following year you might get drivers to get the old cards to work. At all.

agreed, got my code too but i'd prefer my $2400 worth of cards to work 8 months after purchase...

How do you get that code? I bought my 4 cards when they first released.. was it included in the original boxes? Hate to dig them out and check if this is something that recently started.

How do you get that code? I bought my 4 cards when they first released.. was it included in the original boxes? Hate to dig them out and check if this is something that recently started.

The link above was to a guy asking for email addresses over the weekend, which turned into codes for games as a thank you for waiting thing to people posting on the Asus ROG forum. Alternatively, they just started a promo with new 7000 series cards with the same promo package for new purchases.

Oh ok.. i'm a member of that Asus ROG forum.. i guess i need to go look there.

im using 3 7970 dc2t's on the rampage iv extreme with eyefinity 5760x1080 and have no problems other than with skyrim.

1404 bios and 64gb (1333mhz) ram...

i retract this as my problems have come back... bf3 crash, skyrim crash...

Back