Radeon HD 7970 CrossfrieX Issues

Does anyone know if you still get problems if you don't have eyefinity enabled but you have multiple monitors in extended setup, but when playing games only 1 is being used in full screen?

Does anyone know if you still get problems if you don't have eyefinity enabled but you have multiple monitors in extended setup, but when playing games only 1 is being used in full screen?

In my experience that configuration should work fine.

I didn't. It was only when I'd play games on multiple monitors.

This appears to be fixed! One year later and I think I might have a working 7970 quadfire stack.

Here's the latest 12.11 Catalyst beta 11

• Resolves a sporadic system hang encountered with a single AMD Radeon HD 7000 Series GPU seen on X58 and X79 chipsets.
  • Resolves an intermittent hang encountered with AMD Radeon HD 7000 Series GPUs in a CrossFire Eyefinity setup.

Reports from a number of users over here have confirmed this. A user there has been beta testing updates on this issue directly with AMD (confirmed by the fact that he got us all "Never Settle" codes while we waited). This is the fix that they've been working on to resolve this specific issue. Performance looks good and the crash issue with eyefinity+crossfire+x79 appears to be resolved.

Makes me wish I still had a second Radeon HD 7970 to test this with.

Indeed issue is fixed. I put my cards back in and tested all night last night. Performance is the same or better depending on the game being played as well.

Glad to hear it.

Oh I'll bet you're sorry now bud! You and your working NVIDIA cards that you've been using all year like some sort of normal person that doesn't love hating their computer with a seething passion, just drowning in green tears :D

WOW! Looks like i'll be installing these new betas tonight! haha.. seriously?? Possably able to FINALLY use ALL 4 7970s after all this time?? WOW. Looks like a Merry Christmas after all!

Oh I'll bet you're sorry now bud! You and your working NVIDIA cards that you've been using all year like some sort of normal person that doesn't love hating their computer with a seething passion, just drowning in green tears :D

Yep. Pretty much. :cool: While I wish I could test this for myself without going out and buying 7970's again I've been enjoying my GTX 680 4GB cards and I don't regret my decision. If nothing else I don't have to deal with those stupid dual-link DVI to mini-DP adapters.

Yep. Pretty much. :cool: While I wish I could test this for myself without going out and buying 7970's again I've been enjoying my GTX 680 4GB cards and I don't regret my decision. If nothing else I don't have to deal with those stupid dual-link DVI to mini-DP adapters.

hahaha.. yeah thats the iching on the cake for Nvidia users! Miss those days no doubt.

Looks like Nvidia still hasn't fixed the issues that I jumped ship over. ;) I don't regret my decision either.

no. fucking. way.

they actually fixed the crossfire hangs on x58 and x79 systems? And it only took them an entire year?
I know what i'll be doing tonight...

I CANT BELIEVE IT!!! I was just playing BF3 for the first time with Quad 7970s and it never locked up!! HAHA All 4 cores pumping out along with eyefinity tripple screen runing, everything maxed out and on and it was butter smooth! BUTTER SMOOTH! 64 player Metro map! That map always locked up on me within 15-30 secs in the past using 4 cards.

I had well over 100 FPS.. even noticed it peaking up around 140 FPS and nothing is overclocked! The system is all default settings.. been beat up so bad with the card problem thats where i left it in the past since i've always been trying to eliminate the overclocking as a problem.

Like freakin wow! After all this time of never using my $$$$$$ money PC (months i tell ya!) i finally am now able to enjoy it! Might actually get around to getting the CPU bakc up to around 5GZ and then crank the cards for the fun of it.

THANK YOU AMD FOR STICKING 2 IT AND GETTING IT RIGHT!

No more thoughts of the biggest waste of money i've ever blown for nothing while looking at my PC.. Really the last time i'll prob ever get a chance to go over board building a rig ever.. and now i can truely smile about it.

Merry Christmas!

Not working for me.

Using the latest 12.11 Beta drivers from here with the CAP 2 profile, I am hard locking with looping sounds with two GIGABYTE 7970's windforce cards in CrossFire using EyeFinity on 3 monitors. Will try to see if it keeps crashing using a single monitor tomorrow when I get home.

I get a hard lock using 3 monitors and 1 gpu in eyefinity maybe once every 1 hour on average, But with crossfire enabled I get it 5-10 minutes into gaming.

Not working for me.

Using the latest 12.11 Beta drivers from here with the CAP 2 profile, I am hard locking with looping sounds with two GIGABYTE 7970's windforce cards in CrossFire using EyeFinity on 3 monitors. Will try to see if it keeps crashing using a single monitor tomorrow when I get home.

I get a hard lock using 3 monitors and 1 gpu in eyefinity maybe once every 1 hour on average, But with crossfire enabled I get it 5-10 minutes into gaming.

You should update your sig, also I look forward to seeing your results. I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on another 7970 Lightning.

Don;t know what good it will do me but I will try reformatting today to a fresh OS install. Also have heard that running voltage monitoring programs while gaming with crossfire + eyefinity causes lockups. I have only gamed with HWMon running so i will try disabling that too to see what it does.

Alright, without further adieu, I finally solved the problem. After trying everything imaginable, the last thing I tried was a fresh install of windows but not even this worked. Finally I said, what the hell, and cranked the manual fan speed control of the fans on both cards to 85% in OverDrive. And what do you know, I'm 3 hours into gaming and no crashes/freezeups/lockups. Never would have thought it was a heat problem. Monitoring temps on the GPU, it maxes out at 69C on load with fans at 85%. I never bothered to setup a log file that I can check when I crashed to see what temps maxed out at during a crash. I guess my troubleshooting methodology had some pretty serious holes in it, but alas, lesson learned.

I'm still having an issue with the PSU generating a lot more heat than without CrossFire enabled but it seems to be working. Now it sounds like the PSU has developed some coil whine but nothing too terrible.

Back