Radeon HD 4850 X2 Spy Pics?

HardOCP News

[H] News
Is there a Radeon HD 4850 X2 still in the works? After the initial launch of the Radeon HD 4870 X2 you never heard a thing about the rumored 4850 X2 so it seems a bit odd that the card would be coming out now but, if it is priced right, it could be a popular option.

The card will have 2GB GDDR3 memory, core/memory clock will be 625MHz /993MHz. Our sources hints that the card’s final name will be “HD4850 X2 2GBGDDR3 PCI-E QUAD DVI-I / TVO”, that means the card will come with 4 DVI and one TV out.

highest im going is 350 and it can rival the 280, i mean the 4850s are only about 150$ now right?

Our sources hints that the card’s final name will be “HD4850 X2 2GBGDDR3 PCI-E QUAD DVI-I / TVO”, ...

sheesh...I've seen medical terminology that's prettier than that... and I've seen quite a bit of medical terminology in the past 6 months...

Seems like an impossible card to bring to market, it'd have to be priced at about $300-325 (the price of dual 4850's at this point) and at that pricepoint it'd cannibalize 4870 & 4870 1GB sales wouldn't it? Unless they plan to drop those in price for the holidays, and they should, the old GTX 260's have been a better buy for a few months now based solely on price and rebates ($200-220 after MIRs)...

sheesh...I've seen medical terminology that's prettier than that... and I've seen quite a bit of medical terminology in the past 6 months...

Those are specification summaries, not device names.

If the price is good, and the performance is as good or better than my 4850 crossfire setup than count me in. :D~

You'd think two GPUs on one chip would cut down on manufacturing costs.. but business seems to think the opposite direction..

Besides the fact that ATI's multi-GPU system is called CrossfireX and not SLI, GPU folding does not combine multiple GPUs in SLI or Crossfire for a single task. Each GPU gets its own job and they run independently of one another. If the ATI client gets competetive with the nVidia client I plan to build an ATI multi-GPU setup hopefully with these 4850X2s. Currently the ATI client does not fully utilize all of the shader processors on these GPUs. Rumors from within F@H say that they will be releasing more effective ATI clients eventually.

I don't think it's real. The photo looks like complete crap and could be photoshopped, and as another has pointed out, it doesn't have much room to fit in price-wise. It would severely take away from sales of the 4870 and 4870x2.

Also, I'm not positive by the pics, but is the retention bracket 3 slots wide? It looks like it's got 6 DVI ports on the back.

Oh, and to the poster who mentioned it would be better manufacturing to put both cores on a single die, it is. Aside from the physical chips getting bigger, I don't see why AMD and Nvidia couldn't do this. Dual-core video cards. Every multi-GPU card I've seen for years has been two GPUs hacked on to some monstrous PCB. I remember Nvidia 6800 and 7800 series GPUs on one huge PCD (single slot of course), and from some no-name chinese manufacturer. The 7950GX2 was the first card I've seen that actually did 2 GPUs right.

Anyone else care to chime me in on why GPU companies aren't into making dual-core GPUs?

Yuck! The cooler should ALWAYS remove the heat from the case. That's a barn burner there. 4X DVI-D is nice but that can be accomplished with HD connections instead.

I'm at a loss.

I just installed my 2nd 260. The 2nd card is only pushing 4k when the first is pushing 7k.

OC are the same. I'm so confused..... don't even know where to begin, any ideas?

This should be a nice addition to the ATI family. With many people seeing the perfect option for advanced gaming to be the HD 4850 in cross fire, this should make things much easier.

As long as the 4850x2 2GB performs as good or better than two 4850 1GB versions in Crossfire and is at the same price point as two 4850 1GB cards then I can see it taking off. It would be a great solution for those who only have a single PCIe slot on their motherboards.

Hmm, I hadn't even noticed they specified 2GB... I haven't read a single review of the 1GB 4850's, how do they compare to the 512MB 4850's? I figured it wasn't much of an improvement at the resolutions the 4850 can comfortably handle anyway...

If this makes it out and around 300-350, I think I'll buy this when I upgrade to a C2Q and 4GB RAM.

Though I suppose I'd also have to buy a new PSU. :3

Thanks to [H] reader Edward Cabarles, we have two official pictures of the Radeon HD 4850 X2. The crew at GPUReview also has pictures of the card and some box shots as well. So all of you that were jumping for joy yesterday when you saw the spy pics we posted can now rest assured this card is real. Still no pricing info yet though.

ahh i cant even be bothered watching ATi anymore, after all the issues i've had with their cards running CCC in Vista lately... i'm back on nvidia 100%...

ahh i cant even be bothered watching ATi anymore, after all the issues i've had with their cards running CCC in Vista lately... i'm back on nvidia 100%...

4850 Crossfire here, CCC working fine and dandy in Vista 64. Something to be said about user error.

4850 Crossfire here, CCC working fine and dandy in Vista 64. Something to be said about user error.

yeah thats why therese a 8month old unresolved thread in the ati forums about

these are both actually the same error.. i got them both on a large number of P45 ATi4850 rigs i've build.. when one windows update can fubar your pc so bad, you cant uninstall and clean the drivers, restore windows to an earlier point, install every version of the drivers and CCC available etc and the only solution is to re-install vista on what was already a fresh (only drivers and office) install of windows vista.. but hey if you think leaving windows update is a fault.. welll... thats your call.

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=260&threadid=92659&enterthread=y&STARTPAGE=15
http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=260&threadid=96981

when a simple

yeah thats why therese a 8month old unresolved thread in the ati forums about

these are both actually the same error.. i got them both on a large number of P45 ATi4850 rigs i've build.. when one windows update can fubar your pc so bad, you cant uninstall and clean the drivers, restore windows to an earlier point, install every version of the drivers and CCC available etc and the only solution is to re-install vista on what was already a fresh (only drivers and office) install of windows vista.. but hey if you think leaving windows update is a fault.. welll... thats your call.

Stop building with P45's? Just a thought. My X38 works great.

id rather make $40 on a nvidia card than make $70 off an ATi card.. cas i know the nv card wont come back with what you refer to as 'stupid user problems'

Anyone else care to chime me in on why GPU companies aren't into making dual-core GPUs?

I used to think exactly the same thing, until I read a a response from Nvidia about why they don't do this.

Each shader unit, stream processor, or whatever is essentially a core. The architecture is very different from CPUs and the GPU manufacturers have been using parallel cores a lot more extensively.

In order to get dual-chips on the same die it would make the chip prohibitively large. They would also need to have some kind of crossfire or SLI controller on the chip, making it even bigger. Heat dissipation would also become an even bigger issue.

id rather make $40 on a nvidia card than make $70 off an ATi card.. cas i know the nv card wont come back with what you refer to as 'stupid user problems'

Well have fun with your P45 builds and some nice price gouging there. No wonder your builds went down in flames.

yeah just an extra $100-150 per motherboard.. customers love that.... i'd rather pay the extra on a nvidia gpu...

Interesting. The DFI P45 is ~$35 less than the DFI X38. That will get you a sweet deal on a used 7900GS that you can make a killer $40 bucks of profit on! SCORE!

I think its safe to say he is a troll and the reason for his PCs going down in flames is bad kharma with that price gouging lol!

Anyhow, the 4850X2 looks interesting. If it's anything like the 4870X2, it should be what, 10-20% faster than a normal 4850 Crossfire setup? If it maintains a price point of at least near 325-370, that'd be pretty spot on. Considering you can get into a 4850, 512meg Crossfire set-up for 230-300, depending on whether or not any rebates are going and/or MS Cashback/Ebay.

Back