Radeon 5850 Availabilty

I'm not paranoid. I just don't like Sapphire. 2 year warranty is plenty for what I'd need it for.

I didn't mean that, I meant all the hand-wringing over shipping and tracking numbers. I wouldn't buy Sapphire either. Had a 9800 non-pro die on me back in the day and they wanted me to ship it to them and they'd send it back fixed after 10 weeks. Yeah right, GTFO. I swapped it for an ATI branded one at Circuit City.

^ waiting for a lifetime warranty vs a 2 year warranty is being paranoid? I would rather be a little patient on this considering the difference.

I believe he's referring to the fact that people are having trouble finding the card, and are accusing ATI of performing a soft launch (how it can be soft with hardware in customer hands is beyond me), and are also accusing AT of holding-back stock while they clear-out the 4800-series.

The first is bullshit. The second is unlikely.

First off, this is a popular new release card that blows everything Nvidia had to offer at that price out of the water (275 and 285). But at the same time, the price/performance fits-in nicely with the existing 4890 ($190), so people with only $200 will still buy the older cards, even if there is plenty of stock.

And did I mention there is plenty of stock? The Gigabyte cards first mentioned by ToastyBread are still in-stock eight hours after he first posted. Sure, the more "popular" brands like XFX and Sapphire will be perpetually out of stock during the early launch days, but that's pretty normal for a card as hot as this. All the enthusiasts are buying now, and most enthusiasts love the high-end brands with the better warranties.

Anyone who can remember the 8800GT launch knows exactly how this works: when you release a high-end card that blows-away an entire product line in price/performance, you get a whole lot of demand. Despite large numbers made, it was difficult to get an 8800GT in the brand you wanted for over 3 months after release. My guess is, since the 5850 is not as-disruptive as the 8800GT, you'll be able to find them in your favorite brand after just a couple weeks.

Last edited:
Actually, he was referring to the people who are paranoid about not receiving tracking info right away.

my HIS will be here tuesday, pretty excited. I plan on getting a gtx260 for physx to go with it

I didn't think they sorted out the physx when using an ATI card yet, but I could be wrong. 260 seems like overkill :eek:. Heck, I'm still using a 8800GTX for my regular video card :D.

for those waiting for Tigerdirect to stock it (for the bing cashback + ebillme discount) their bing cashback has dropped to 3.2% (was 15% yesterday!).

Circuit City though is still at 10.3% (no 5850 stock yet)

Patiently waiting for an XFX model that's not on Newegg (NJ tax)...

I used to live in Cali where all the newegg stuff was taxed as well. It almost broke the deal on a lot of stuff I bought.

Sometimes... it was easier to ship it out of state to someone I knew then get them to ship it back to me in Cali to avoid the tax.

Patiently waiting for an XFX model that's not on Newegg (NJ tax)...
I'm beginning to think that we'll never see any XFX cards restocked, lol. *joking*

It does suck though, how I keep seeing other brands become available for a bit, but XFX cards continuously say out of stock.

I'm beginning to think that we'll never see any XFX cards restocked, lol. *joking*

It does suck though, how I keep seeing other brands become available for a bit, but XFX cards continuously say out of stock.
I snagged the last XFX 5870 from MWave over the weekend. Shipped today. :D

My local Frys had two diamonds in stock. I almost bought them both but picked up an XFX 5870 for crossfire instead.

anyone knwo where can the XFX 5850 be found?
Newegg had them on September 30th, the first day they became available. Sold out within a couple of hours. Since then, I don't think anyone has actually see them "in stock" anywhere. I sent off a message to Newegg, and they responded saying it could be at least two weeks from when it sold out, before they'd get some back in stock.

However, some have mentioned that they've "pre-ordered" them on Amazon, and seen them ship at periodic intervals, so depending on how soon you want it, Amazon may be the best way to go.

Newegg had them on September 30th, the first day they became available. Sold out within a couple of hours. Since then, I don't think anyone has actually see them "in stock" anywhere. I sent off a message to Newegg, and they responded saying it could be at least two weeks from when it sold out, before they'd get some back in stock.

However, some have mentioned that they've "pre-ordered" them on Amazon, and seen them ship at periodic intervals, so depending on how soon you want it, Amazon may be the best way to go.

i've preordered the one in amazon, so i locked the retail price at least. If i find some retailer like ewiz with coupon and bcb i will cancel my preorder. :D

I really hope the XFX 5850's come in soon. It's kinda hindering the process of my new PC build.

amd seems to be focusing more on hd 5870, those seem to be more available almost everywhere, I just think they are just trying to sell as many hd 5870 as they can after all it seems to be the one that is making them more proft. if they can have hd 5870 readily available I don't think there should be a reason for hd 5850 shortage, everyday newegg has one or another brand hd 5870 available but they never seem to have the 5850.

amd seems to be focusing more on hd 5870, those seem to be more available almost everywhere, I just think they are just trying to sell as many hd 5870 as they can after all it seems to be the one that is making them more proft. if they can have hd 5870 readily available I don't think there should be a reason for hd 5850 shortage, everyday newegg has one or another brand hd 5870 available but they never seem to have the 5850.

This could also be attributed to the fact that the 5870 has been out for a week longer than the 5850, and the pricepoint of the 5850 being more appealing to the majority of the world, causing a higher demand for it == bigger shortage. Now I don't have any hard numbers for 5870 vs 5850 shipment quantities to back it up, just trying to pose another viewpoint.

^^ very true, but I have never seen the damn things in stock, lol. I wonder how many people are actually able to order it, unless oem's order shit load of them.

Why thanks Staypuft, I just grabbed one myself. It was so painful looking for the 5850 let alone from a good manufacturer like XFX.

Just got my new Gigabyte 5850 installed this afternoon. Time to fire up some games and 3DMark!

Did the tigerdirect xfx thing. Just shipped... Psyched! Saw the Asus post right after I ordered. Dang I wanted the Asus one too! Hmm... Double life warranty vs. Better Bios. Hmm... I can finally retire my 8800GT to a life of PissX...

anyone knows what's the warranty in the asus 5850? I can't find anything about it in neweggs or asus website.

Back