Radeon 5700 (Visiontek reference model) $279 @ Dell

Discussion in '[H]ot|DEALS' started by deruberhanyok, Dec 29, 2019.

1. deruberhanyok

deruberhanyok [H]ard|Gawd

checked listings on Amazon and Newegg after someone mentioned that this wasn’t actually a typical sale price.

visiontek brand, reference model RX 5700 for $279 on sale. Been a pretty common price drop so far so if it isn’t showing when you check, check back in a day.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/accessories/apd/aa762435

they also have a visiontek reference 5700xt that goes on sale for $379 regularly but I don’t think that’s quite as big a deal.

SamirD likes this.
  2. Revenant_Knight

Revenant_Knight Limp Gawd

I grabbed one. I actually have a need for a blower card due to an airflow challenged SFF system that’s hooked up to a Samsung Freesync TV.

3. ir0nw0lf

ir0nw0lf [H]ardness Supreme

Can this 5700 be flashed up to a XT?

SamirD likes this.
  4. Revenant_Knight

Probably. Might net an extra 10% performance wise providing that all the shaders are in working order. If it is a a binned XT reject card you could loose stability.

SamirD likes this.
  5. Revenant_Knight

Mine arrived today. This has to be the most generic box I've ever gotten a video card in. Refreshing actually. Just a Visiontek box with a sticker for the card.

6. VoloxitySF

VoloxitySF Gawd

Got mine yesterday. I see the price went up to 449.. RIP deal. Had a hell of a time getting the drivers to install correctly, coming from GTX970 Mini. Driver would install but still gave error 1603 and I was getting really weird performance in games and system lockups. I also wasn't able to control the fans despite setting a manual override in Adrenaline. I tried safe mode DDU and/or AMD Clean up utility, also Windows Update, SFC and DISM repairs. Ended up reinstalling Windows before driver install went through fully with no errors. In a year, after warranty expires and I get my 3800x, I'll probably try to bios flash and add a VGA AIO cooler. For now it's staying stock on my 4670k system.

edit: Looks like the XT version is on sale for 349 at Dell now: https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/vis...rds?ref=p13n_ena_pdp_vv&c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
    deruberhanyok likes this.
  7. Revenant_Knight

I’m having some Driver issues too. Mostly the odd lockup here and there, as well as black screens. I suspect that it’s because i was running an Nvidia GPU prior to this. I didn’t have these issues on my RX590 build or my RX570 build but those were both a clean install of Windows 10.

Otherwise the card has been running fine. Performance is good. I’m running it in an NCASE M1 case which has a fan feeding it fresh air. Temps are mid-60s while gaming and it’s been pretty quiet. Actually, it’s quieter than the 2080 Founders that was in this case before. The NCASE M1 benefits from the blower cooler quiet a bit.

VoloxitySF likes this.
  8. VoloxitySF

VoloxitySF Gawd

The clean install (of windows) really did seem to do the trick for me. Performance went up drastically after I was able to get through the driver install without errors. I also ended up disabling the game advisor and the overlay and the stutters/lockups seem to go away. I've only tested with BFV so far so we'll see about the rest tonight when I test more. I may end up trying to disable caching on my SSDs if I get any more stutters or hangs since I was getting them occasionally here and there even on my 970. This is my first AMD GPU since 2011ish when I had 2 HD4850s in crossfire. It's crazy that they still struggle with software after all this time, but I have the feeling like a solid update will come out in the near future. :oldman:

edit: was recently informed that GamersNexus has a cheap mod using 0.5-1.0mm washers that could yield some lower average temperatures for minimal effort. Might have to give that a shot.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
  9. Revenant_Knight

I'll be doing a fresh install on Sunday or Monday. I need the system running right now.My Sabrent drive in my 9900K/2080 machine was defective so I need something to do work on.

I got the card to pass 3D Mark Timespy stress test with 99.1% and no errors. I had to set the power settings of Windows to High Performance, and then make sure the monitor never turned off. That resolved that issue.

Temps during 20 loops of 3DMARK Timespy topped out 78. Noise was a gentle woosh.

I'm very, very pleased with this card. For $279, it's hard to find a better deal.

VoloxitySF likes this.
  10. /dev/null

/dev/null [H]ardForum Junkie

11. Revenant_Knight

RMA time. Card instantly crashes on any game workload now. Reinstalled OS/drivers/games. Just keeps getting worse. Cross tested it in other systems with the same results.

Luck of the draw.

12. kirbyrj

kirbyrj [H]ard as it Gets

That isn't what happens. What it does is unlock the power so you are able to boost above 1500 megahertz or so. Mine would boost to closer to 1900 after I flashed it. They're really isn't a big difference between the two cards in terms of shaders. When it is flashed to the other BIOS it is within two or three percent of the performance of the XT card.

SPARTAN VI and Revenant_Knight like this.
  13. Revenant_Knight

I stand corrected. Good to know!

I couldn’t exchange the card so I returned it and got the 5700XT deal instead

kirbyrj likes this.
  14. SPARTAN VI

SPARTAN VI [H]ardness Supreme

Were you running any sort overlay? Even a FPS counter was enough to make my 5700 XT crash with 100% consistency.

15. primetime

primetime [H]ardness Supreme

thats crazy lol......if that were the case how are they bench marking these cards?...i would likely return it if it was that way

16. SPARTAN VI

SPARTAN VI [H]ardness Supreme

Well I did not test them all. The biggest culprits in my experience were Afterburner and Radeon overlays. The Steam FPS counter didn't seem to cause any issues, while the GOG overlay may have IIRC. Also haven't tested FRAPS.

17. lightsout

lightsout [H]ard|Gawd

I have a 5700 and use Afterburner without issue (with the overlay). So it definitely can work.

SPARTAN VI likes this.
  18. Revenant_Knight

Tried with an without. Multiple Windows installs. My guess is that their was a manufacturing defect with the memory cooling. After 5 minutes of play the card crashes. Then it consistently and repeatedly crashes within a minute of loading it up again. I tested it on an 8086K system, and a 9900K system. Different mainboards, PSUs, cases. Open air with a desk fan blowing on it didn't matter.

Sadly, the card is just defective. You win some, you loose some.

Ranulfo and SPARTAN VI like this.
  19. Revenant_Knight

5700XT came in today. I installed it with the 8086K. Almost had a heart attack when it crashed like the 5700. However, this time it was due to the overlay and not the card itself.

Broke it in with BFV running at 60FPS IN 4K Ultra on Samsung Freesync TV. It was...nice.

/dev/null, SPARTAN VI and mazeroth like this.
  20. ir0nw0lf

ir0nw0lf [H]ardness Supreme

Is it loud?

21. compcons

compcons n00b

For comparison Microcenter sells an Asus reference for $379. Also, several youtube videos place the Gigabyte Gaming Overclocked ($399 at Micro Center) at the top of the heap of after market designs. The Power Color Red Dragon ($399 @ MC) seems to rate pretty high with reviewers and is only a 2 fan design. That Visiontek should be a sold choice especially if you plan on doing your own cooling.

22. Revenant_Knight

It's noticeable but the tone isn't bad. It's a woosh noise instead of a whine and quickly fades in the background of any game. At idle I don't really hear it, but it's also across the room. It's not as annoying as my 2080s coil whine and ticking. THAT drives me up the wall.

Technically it's $329 with $20 of shipping. Not a bad deal really, and I need the blower card for my SFF builds.

I would talk about Temps, but the overlays crash the card. AMD still hasn't fixed this. However, I did play BFV at 4K Ultra on a Freesync monitor for a few hours and never saw a performance degradation. Performance was always at 60FPs or a few below except for an occasional stutter.

ir0nw0lf likes this.