• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

R600: Unreal Overclocking?

Pepsiennis

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Feb 5, 2007
Messages
1,290
VR-Zone has a preview of their review. Look at Page 19. :D
http://forums.vr-zone.com/showthread.php?t=150024

Reminds me of the old story about violinists:
'When Jascha Heifetz, who went on to be acclaimed the greatest violinist of the 20th century, first arrived in America, the leading violinist of the time Mischa Elman went to hear him play with his accompanist. During the performance Elman was visibly uncomfortable, and at intermission asked his accompanist, "Is it hot in here?" To which the accompanist replied dryly, "Not if you're a pianist."'

Wonder how Nvidia's thermostat reads this next week? I guarantee you we'll see more Nvidia = good, Vista = bad (as ATI owns Nvidia in Vista) articles around the web
 
I just canceled my order for a 8800 GTX after reading some of these new numbers for the R600... Will have to wait one more week I guess...
 
I just canceled my order for a 8800 GTX after reading some of these new numbers for the R600... Will have to wait one more week I guess...

smart move, so even though if the r600 dosen't out perform the 8800gtx, the 8800gtx will most likely drop in price when the r600 is out.
 
Yes, very smart move. If HD 2900XT rocks, you're in 3D heaven. And if it's delivered by ATI at night ...on a door-step ...in a flaming brown paper bag, then the Nvidia prices drop and you can buy a 'Borat' babe a bauble, to boot. Either way, it's going to be a FUDlicious week until the 14th! :D
 
I couldn't wait, I bought the 8800GTX :cool:. I've got to much time off to sit and wait for the R600 to show its face. Even though I may return my purchase if it does indeed beat the GTX handily.
 
I couldn't wait, I bought the 8800GTX :cool:. I've got to much time off to sit and wait for the R600 to show its face. Even though I may return my purchase if it does indeed beat the GTX handily.

Previous preview numbers show the 2900XT as a bit better than the 8800GTS. I bought my GTS 640 several months ago, for cheaper than the R600 will launch at by far (I got it for $370 back then). Late+slow = no go :(... which I hope is incorrect, since competition = good and this card's pretty late to the party already.
 
Reminds me of the old story about violinists:
'When Jascha Heifetz, who went on to be acclaimed the greatest violinist of the 20th century, first arrived in America, the leading violinist of the time Mischa Elman went to hear him play with his accompanist. During the performance Elman was visibly uncomfortable, and at intermission asked his accompanist, "Is it hot in here?" To which the accompanist replied dryly, "Not if you're a pianist."'

Wonder how Nvidia's thermostat reads this next week? I guarantee you we'll see more Nvidia = good, Vista = bad (as ATI owns Nvidia in Vista) articles around the web


That's a great story, I'd never heard that one.
 
if it's delivered by ATI at night ...on a door-step ...in a flaming brown paper bag, then the Nvidia prices drop

Why would nv drop prices if they've still got the best product?

Shit, nv is RAISING prices right now with that goddamn stupid Ultra. Mark my words, nv prices are not going to drop on May 14th. If the 2900 is a realistic competitor, then they might drop in a few months. If the 2900 is not a realistic competitor, nv will have absolutely no reason to drop prices, and guess what? They won't.
 
I wonder what could warrant a title like that. Over and beyond the regular OC chapter ?

Maybe they swapped out the stock cooler ?
 
I wonder what could warrant a title like that. Over and beyond the regular OC chapter ?

Maybe they swapped out the stock cooler ?

vmod? Usually reviews don't go as far as to do anything beyond overclock the board they've got with whatever it came with, but it should be interesting to see what that means :D
 
just take it for what its worth, its probably a great over clocker..

do you remember the original Slot A AMD Athlon CPUs?

they where an OCers dream..

AMD would just downclock their CPU's and sell them cheaper..

i remember buying the Athlon 550 and getting a 650 chip, add onto that the gold fingers device and it was soon OCed to 900.. (it was no wonder AMD beat Intel officially to 1Ghz after seeing those chips)..


i dont' know if this is the same situation, but i remember just loving those Athlon's for their OC ability..
 
do you remember the original Slot A AMD Athlon CPUs?

they where an OCers dream..

AMD would just downclock their CPU's and sell them cheaper..

i remember buying the Athlon 550 and getting a 650 chip, add onto that the gold fingers device and it was soon OCed to 900.. (it was no wonder AMD beat Intel officially to 1Ghz after seeing those chips)..


i dont' know if this is the same situation, but i remember just loving those Athlon's for their OC ability..

lol I remember my old Socket A T-bird core that did 1.5ghz from stock 1.0ghz.
 
ATI releasing a fast videocard is good for competition, which in turn, drives prices down on both ends.

But, 320 stream processors as well as more memory bandwidth should not be as slow as those "benchmarks" showed. Personally, I hope the speed isn't true and that the released R600XT will be fast as well...hopes and dreams...hopes and dream.
 
Wow! One computer here has a 7800GT and the other a X1950XTX. The wait is killing me--which will win, the Red Team or the Green Team? Good lord, ATI, why are you making us wait?

:p
 
Back
Top