• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Quiet Drives

Certainly not WD SE's..

I just put a 80gb SE in my Tivo and the whining annoys the pee out of mee..

-scoob8000
 
scoob8000 said:
Certainly not WD SE's..

I just put a 80gb SE in my Tivo and the whining annoys the pee out of mee..

-scoob8000

The 4 WD SE drives I have beg to differ. I have an 80, two 120s, and a 250 that are all extremely quiet. I have drives from all the major makers, and I'd have to say they are all very quiet except Maxtor. I really don't get why this question is asked so often. In a normal case, your not going to here the hard drives that much over any case fans and HSFs...other than when it's writing and reading the drive intensly. I don't typically use a page file, so I am sure that cuts down on the drive usage...but still...hard drives are that loud.

If your getting noise and whining, it's probably not the drive, it how you have it mounted. No one ever takes into account the mounting.
 
djnes said:
If your getting noise and whining, it's probably not the drive, it how you have it mounted. No one ever takes into account the mounting.

Possibly, I had it in my PC for awhile and couldn't hear it, but in my room with the Tivo, it stands out like a sore thumb.. :(

-scoob8000
 
scoob8000 said:
Possibly, I had it in my PC for awhile and couldn't hear it, but in my room with the Tivo, it stands out like a sore thumb.. :(

-scoob8000


See if you can mount it with some rubber grommets in there. Makes a world of a difference in HTPCs.
 
djnes said:
The 4 WD SE drives I have beg to differ. I have an 80, two 120s, and a 250 that are all extremely quiet. I have drives from all the major makers, and I'd have to say they are all very quiet except Maxtor. I really don't get why this question is asked so often. In a normal case, your not going to here the hard drives that much over any case fans and HSFs...other than when it's writing and reading the drive intensly. I don't typically use a page file, so I am sure that cuts down on the drive usage...but still...hard drives are that loud.

If your getting noise and whining, it's probably not the drive, it how you have it mounted. No one ever takes into account the mounting.

HAHA I put a 160 GB Maxtor in my Xbox and that thing is so freaking loud when I'm loading a game.
 
Lots of people have more than adequate cooling via multiple fans yet it's a silent enough setup that they can still hear their HDDs over it, even low noise models... Just because you in particular can't or because your particular fans are louder than the drive doesn't mean other's are.
 
i hear ALL hard drives that i put into my system at home




damn i miss my wc....
 
djnes said:
See if you can mount it with some rubber grommets in there. Makes a world of a difference in HTPCs.

Did so, well the best I could do was some small rubber washers on either side of the screws.. Close enough..

Anyway, it's a great improvement.. I'll live with it.. :)

Thanks
scoob8000
 
Back
Top