Questionable Games Quality' Threatening EA's Stock

EA does way too much marketing, viral and otherwise, and not enough in support, quality control and production values. They are an example of a company that believes if you shove enough advertising down the throat of the public, that you can release utter crap and it will sell. And mostly it will...until people start catching on.

They need to spend more time on making the games so that we want to spend more money on them, rather than spending money to try to market blitz away the fact that they are basically selling shit in a box. Valve comes to mind as a company that, love them or hate them, sells outstanding games that are ready for release. Blizzard also comes to mind.

this thread makes me happy. I hope they can get their stuff together because they have an awesome amount of resources at their disposal to be great. i just hate their constant rehashes and quality.

I dont neccesarily agree with EA buying up every video game company, or buying stock in those companies. But to say they are releasing utter crap is a pretty bold statement.

Skate - Better than Tony Hawk games
Medal of Honor Airbourne - Best Medal of Honor game in years
Madden 08 - best madden ever
NHL 08 - Absolutely amazing game

All these games are made by EA and are all good games, and are better than their competitors or are a vast improvemnts over their predecessors.

**EDIT**
Mass Effect made by Bioware, Bioware is owned my EA

The ultimate thing to really hope for here is rather than bankruptcie, that EA will split up into all the companies it swallowed that were good before EA took leadership... well known companies and franchises were swallowed up only to be shut down, just like wallmart buying out the competition via hostile takeover only so that it can shut down the operations of its only rivals.

However, its going to take bigger and consecutive hits on EA profits to shut down the behemoth.

All I can say is that I will maintain my boycot of their products, and that they are the only reason why I will not purchase titles such as Hellgate: London, and the upcoming Warhammer MMO.

Many people do not realize how sub-par EA's games are because EA floods the market where more than half the games you buy are either made by or published by them and they just all seem crappy. Companies known for releasing quality works release fewer games... id, Relic, Westwood (rip), Bungie, Valve, Activision, Funcom, SEGA, Raven, Infinity Ward, Human Head, etc..etc..etc.. and on occasion even ubisoft release VERY noticeably better titles.

On the list of bad developers, EA is joined by 2K Games, whose stock is also plummeting as they oust one board member after the next.

Between 2K and EA bruising the gaming industry like an unstoppable stream of spam-like quantity over quality, it may seem like the world is coming to an end with so many bad, rushed or half-playable titles, but you can revive your faith in computer gaming by simply not picking up on their titles and ignoring their hype. It is the only way really to salvage both your faith and your dollar.

A well known propagator and beneficiary of hype and false advertising surrounding the titles crated by EA and 2K to sell enough before people realize title (x) is terrible; is IGN, a terrible outlet for all media started by a convicted pedophile and a now defunct investment group that gave birth to and has its hands deep into the unauthorized after-market sales of virtual property that we so lovingly call "gold spam" that ruins in-game economies and depleats the value of MMO titles by harassing and financially alienating gamers who dont wish to or simply cant afford to participate in these underground gamer markets that IGN helps establish in all respectable MMO titles.

As shady publishers and developers hire people to edit their own wiki entries, I could point to many other culprits and companies undeserving of your mention or your dollar, but in the end, all I could tell you is to spread the knowledge, vote with your pen, keyboard, voice, and (sadly) most importantly your dollar; and maybe one day you'll no longer be ashamed to be labeled as a gamer in public and be proud to flaunt your well-heeled ethics that led to that better consumer-focused future we like to hold up as our Nirvana. Last but not least, push as hard as you can publicly and otherwise for retail outlets to begin taking returns on game titles, because as of the current state of the industry, its one of the few that is able to get away with accepting no returns on anything across the board, and that is making both people and quality suffer and is the biggest driving force for piracy than any other factors combined.

I guess I "unofficially" boycot their products, as I haven't bought an EA game in I don't know how long.

I like skate and all, but the control scheme really isn't for me. As for MOH...dude, enough WWII games for me. Madden - I don't like sports games that much, but my brother gets the new Madden every year, and the game is always just an upgrade of the years' before...sometimes, not being an upgrade at all, but a downgrade. Need For Speed lost itself after the first "Hot Pursuit".

There's just no games I've liked from them since about '96-'97.

BUT - Mass Effect does, in fact, have my attention.;)

Yea, EA really fucked up Medal of Honor Airborne's multiplayer badly. The single player is good, yea, but how do you screw up the MP that badly? Espicially when you claimed you were working closely with the MoH community??? The multiplayer is espicially important when your single player game clocks in at around 5 hours.

And shit, being the best MoH game in years isn't a compliment... the games themselves were pretty shitty for a long time before Airborne.

And cmon, Mass Effect will actually be a good games, because it was fully completed before EA tainted it.

-snip-

"they are the only reason why I will not purchase titles such as Hellgate: London"

-snip-

Trust me, as someone who pre-ordered the collector's edition, HG:L has plenty of reasons to *NOT* buy it on its own. It isn't finished and bugs abound.

It makes baby jesus cry.

Those of you who say that they are going to boycot EA games are goging to be left with only first party developers then, like Mario, Zelda, Metal Gear, Halo, etc. But come on they are not that bad, Madden was not just a incremental upgrade, This years Madden was leaps and bounds better than years prior. Anyone who has played most of them has to know that. I have never been a Madden player until this years game came out. I heard they were putting in the special powers for different all-star players and i was excited about it, because that is an awesome idea. It really made a huge difference while playing that game. If you havent played NHL 08 then you should. I am not a nockey fan, but NHL is amazing.

2K, uh has someone forgot a little game called BioShock?

The Need for Speed: Underground games were very good. In the old NFS you could only drive like 10 cars and there was no vehicle customization. I am not a big fan of the whole import racing scene, but I am a car fan and a racing fan and they amount of customization in that game was revolutionary and you cant deny that. The customization in that game paved the way for most popular racing games these days.

I hope none of you are planning on buying Assassins Creed since Ubisoft owns a signifigant portion of their stocks.

Oh yeah, and I cant remember where I read it but someone interviewed a member of the development team that worked on Mass Effect. The person that was interviewed had nothing but good things to say about Bioware being aquired by Mass Effect. He stated that it had gave the team the sources and MONEY needed to complete things on the game that, otherwise wouldnt of been accomplished.

I dont really side either way but you have to face the facts before you just go and slam them for what they are doing. I was so close to posting a thread very similar to this one, but i did my research first and realized that it could possibly be a good thing happening here.

Give it some time and see what happens.

We should start worrying when EA gets there hands in NVIDIA or ATI, Microsoft, Sony or Nintendo.

I am not saying ALL EA games are bad, but its undeniable they are cutting corners in the name of profit. I stopped buying from them when they killed off motor city online, but that was more of a grudge than a boycott. I am going to get crysis at some point in time (when my computer can handle it in all its glory most likely), but alot of their games are going downhill.

The same can be said for activision and THQ although to a lesser extent.

My major beef with THQ being their continued fucking up of S.T.A.L.K.E.R, (although they aren't going to be publishing the sequel). Update patches for stalker have to go thru THQ for "quality testing" after the coders at GSC make it. And I have heard of THQ (on gsc forums) where they have lollygagged on the quality testing part delaying patches by a month with 1.00003 and 6 weeks for 1.00004.

Whatever happened to making games for gaming sake, for the experience, and not solely the money?

Those of you who say that they are going to boycot EA games are goging to be left with only first party developers then, like Mario, Zelda, Metal Gear, Halo, etc. But come on they are not that bad, Madden was not just a incremental upgrade, This years Madden was leaps and bounds better than years prior. Anyone who has played most of them has to know that. I have never been a Madden player until this years game came out. I heard they were putting in the special powers for different all-star players and i was excited about it, because that is an awesome idea. It really made a huge difference while playing that game. If you havent played NHL 08 then you should. I am not a nockey fan, but NHL is amazing.

The Need for Speed: Underground games were very good. In the old NFS you could only drive like 10 cars and there was no vehicle customization. I am not a big fan of the whole import racing scene, but I am a car fan and a racing fan and they amount of customization in that game was revolutionary and you cant deny that. The customization in that game paved the way for most popular racing games these days.

I hope none of you are planning on buying Assassins Creed since Ubisoft owns a signifigant portion of their stocks.

Oh yeah, and I cant remember where I read it but someone interviewed a member of the development team that worked on Mass Effect. The person that was interviewed had nothing but good things to say about Bioware being aquired by Mass Effect. He stated that it had gave the team the sources and MONEY needed to complete things on the game that, otherwise wouldnt of been accomplished.

I dont really side either way but you have to face the facts before you just go and slam them for what they are doing. I was so close to posting a thread very similar to this one, but i did my research first and realized that it could possibly be a good thing happening here.

Give it some time and see what happens.

We should start worrying when EA gets there hands in NVIDIA or ATI, Microsoft, Sony or Nintendo.

I'm sure EA thanks you for chiming in to support them and reminding all of us that they will soon swallow up the entire games industry. That should put us in our place, mangy customers. :(

you cant compare Skate with any tony hawk games...

its like comparing Need for speed with Gran turismo

I'm sure EA thanks you for chiming in to support them and reminding all of us that they will soon swallow up the entire games industry. That should put us in our place, mangy customers. :(

Yep, you nailed it right on the head. I am an employee of EA and am trying to justify their domination of the gaming industry.

No, really I just think people are looking to far into it. It has had a negative effect on some games but a positive effect on others.

Well, I hope EA becomes super small. Maybe they'll get a bit better cuz then, they might start concentrating on a good game instead of millions of bad ones. But thats more than wishful thinking >.>

I dont neccesarily agree with EA buying up every video game company, or buying stock in those companies. But to say they are releasing utter crap is a pretty bold statement.

Skate - Better than Tony Hawk games
Medal of Honor Airbourne - Best Medal of Honor game in years
Madden 08 - best madden ever
NHL 08 - Absolutely amazing game
Mass Effect - will likely be a great game

All these games are made by EA and are all good games, and are better than their competitors or are a vast improvemnts over their predecessors.

While I won't bother arguing about the quality or your opinion of the first 4 games you mention, saying Ea had ANYTHING AT ALL to do with Mass Effect completely discredits you.

LOL, you guys all act like these gamehouses didn't welcome EA's money when they were snatched up.

It takes money, gobs of money to make a game. EA has money to fund these games.

Yep, you nailed it right on the head. I am an employee of EA and am trying to justify their domination of the gaming industry.

No, really I just think people are looking to far into it. It has had a negative effect on some games but a positive effect on others.

Sure are a lot more negatives than positives... I cant even list the positives unless you count as throwing money at a purchased game developer and then having them rush out an unfinished game for the holiday season as positive...

LOL, you guys all act like these gamehouses didn't welcome EA's money when they were snatched up.

It takes money, gobs of money to make a game. EA has money to fund these games.

Finally a realist, you made a good point.

... Espicially when you claimed you were working closely with the MoH community??? ....

Lol, I've been gaming online since quake, 99% of the time "working closely with the community" is code for "we did what the 10 loudest assholes on the forum wanted".

EA Monopolising the scene was getting tiresome, they kept buying out smaller companies and destroying the value we held in PC games, often disrespecting PC brands and selling out to consoles.

I would be glad to see EA die and a bit more balance and veriety return to the PC gaming industry, I admit we do need some larger producers to step up and fund games like Crysis and Spore which take unimaginable amounts of money to design and build, but we just dont need the cheap production values and lack of support that EA generate along with their games.

The biggest problem I have with EA is that some of the games they are best known for (sports titles) are often so changed so incrementally on a year-to-year basis that they sometimes feel like nothing more than a roster update. I don't want to be served the same mediocre formula for several years running with only minor refinements. At $60 a pop these days, we deserve better.

This is ridiculous..

You don't have to buy what they make. You act as if your forced to buy bad products.

Heard of the saying, "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me?"

If you buy an EA sports game, say, FIFA 07, and dont like it. Then you go buy FIFA 08 and dont like it and curse the game company... Who looks like the idiot there?

*BTW: FIFA 08 is sweet*

Anyway, it seems absurd to me that people complain about something like this..

This is ridiculous..

You don't have to buy what they make. You act as if your forced to buy bad products.

Heard of the saying, "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me?"

If you buy an EA sports game, say, FIFA 07, and dont like it. Then you go buy FIFA 08 and dont like it and curse the game company... Who looks like the idiot there?

*BTW: FIFA 08 is sweet*

Anyway, it seems absurd to me that people complain about something like this..

I agree well put, oh btw I just got a letter from EA telling me that I have to go buy and play NBA Live 08 or else they will come burn my house down.

EA Monopolising the scene was getting tiresome, they kept buying out smaller companies and destroying the value we held in PC games, often disrespecting PC brands and selling out to consoles.

I would be glad to see EA die and a bit more balance and veriety return to the PC gaming industry, I admit we do need some larger producers to step up and fund games like Crysis and Spore which take unimaginable amounts of money to design and build, but we just dont need the cheap production values and lack of support that EA generate along with their games.

We also need more people to buy PC titles and stop downloading them via torrent,etc.

Click for interview with Greg Zeschuk from Bioware

Read and weap mfer! Do your research before your holyness discredits me.

Read what and "weap"?

Aside from Mass Effect, the studios' current projects will now be published by EA.

Do you know what the word aside means?

Or how about...

The upcoming first entry in the series is an Xbox 360 exclusive published by Microsoft.

Box art: http://kotaku.com/gaming/boxart/mass-effect-box-art-230833.php

Strangely enough I don't see anything "EA" even on the box. Do you? You obviously have trouble with reading comprehension, maybe that extends to visual interpretation as well.

Read what and "weap"?

Do you know what the word aside means?

Or how about...

Box art: http://kotaku.com/gaming/boxart/mass-effect-box-art-230833.php

Strangely enough I don't see anything "EA" even on the box. Do you? You obviously have trouble with reading comprehension, maybe that extends to visual interpretation as well.

When I said what I said, I didnt mean EA had a serious hand in the making of Mass Effect, what I mean is if you buy Mass Effect your still supporting EA. Did you forget that there are going to be 2 more Mass Effect games coming out in the coming years?

When I said what I said, I didnt mean EA had a serious hand in the making of Mass Effect, what I mean is if you buy Mass Effect your still supporting EA. Did you forget that there are going to be 2 more Mass Effect games coming out in the coming years?

Bullshit, here's exactly what you said:

Mass Effect - will likely be a great game

All these games are made by EA and are all good games...

Ok I apologize I will go back and edit it, I wasnt trying to imply that Mass Effect is made by EA, but they are in the same family tree.

Bullshit, here's exactly what you said:

:D pwned.

I just got Mass Effect from a store selling it early and oh my is it awesome! I hope EA can keep their money grubbing mits out of the creative department at Bioware, and Bioware can continue to make masterpieces.

The quality of Hellgate: London sure won't help EA's image any. Flagship is the developer but EA is the distributer. It looks like someone shoved it out the door WAY too early.

hey, this is good.

Though ironically, this is also the only year in recent memory where EA's released anything I'm interested in playing (C&C3, Crysis, etc.) As a developer, EA is terrible though.

The quality of Hellgate: London sure won't help EA's image any. Flagship is the developer but EA is the distributer. It looks like someone shoved it out the door WAY too early.

The concept was so good, but the execution was laughable. If they would take their time and give the develop time to get a quality product, people wouldn't be bitching and moaning about EA

EA's a powerhouse with gaming, period.

this loss will be a wake up call to them, hopefully

the only EA game I play a lot is BF2....and as soon as they released patch 1.31 I think it was, where the anti air missle suddenly started doing all sorts of funny loops and rarely missing a plane, I got a clue that it's way more then a fuckup, it's clearly lack of care

or the two expansions, armored fury and european whatever, which I purchased both, sucked royally and weren't worth a dime, clearly it was my fault for buying into the hype

whatever, hopefully they get their shit together and start producing better games, cause in the end that's all I really care for

on that note, one of the reasons I admire Blizzard like I do, is because their games for the most part are bug free by the time they are released...a lot of companies should take note

The concept was so good, but the execution was laughable. If they would take their time and give the develop time to get a quality product, people wouldn't be bitching and moaning about EA

its quite interesting because I was counting the days down to HL...then I started reading about all the issues people are having...

gonna pass for now, TF2's got me pretty busy anyhow

Well, you certainly don't seem to know why 2K ruined Bioshock. The PC version that is. Maybe you should read their forums and have a clue on why they destroyed what could've been a GOTY contender.

Back