Question about Windows Activation

I recently had to RMA my motherboard due to a fault and decided to get a new one. I'm currently using Windows 8 Pro and used my existing key for the new motherboard. Of course, it failed to validate because the key was tied to my old motherboard. I called Microsoft and they gave me a number to activate my copy of Windows.

The main question is, the next time I format and reinstall Windows on my new motherboard, will I be able to activate my existing key on my current motherboard without issues over the internet or do I need to call MS again?

Thanks for the replies guys, seriously I must call MS again if I format and need to reactivate, argh, I wish I bought more licenses when Windows 8 was $15.

I do not believe you will have trouble with a reinstall later as MS will have already tied your to the new system board. I had the same issue with 7 when I RMAd an ECS board. Once I called and activated the first time, the 2 reinstalls since then worked without incident.

You mean technet abuse FTW. You're not allowed to install software under technet license to other use than evaluation / development.

The way they've crippled Technet to combat abuse is criminal. I don't know why I even bother paying for it anymore.

You mean technet abuse FTW. You're not allowed to install software under technet license to other use than evaluation / development.

This was his personal motherboard. This is exactly what TechNet is for! There is no abuse here.

This was his personal motherboard. This is exactly what TechNet is for! There is no abuse here.

AFAIK technet is not supposed to be used on 'personal' motherboards. They're for system evaluation in a corporate environment.

If he's doing development on his *personal* computer then it's a whole other deal of course.

Back