Qualcomm Snapdragon 1000 Rumored to Be Specifically Built for PCs

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Qualcomm is expected to continue their push into the PC market with the Snapdragon 1000. Its predecessor, the Snapdragon 850, was merely a higher-clocked smartphone chip, but the 1000 will supposedly target PCs and more powerful devices. Sources say it will provide a 35% speed increase, while supporting up to 16GB of RAM and two 128GB storage modules.

New details on the chip were obtained by Germany’s WinFuture, including that it will be able to match the performance of Intel’s Core processors. Specifically, the SDM1000 system-on-a-chip is said to be a much larger 20mm x 15mm, and use 12W of power, significantly more than a smartphone processor.

So a re-spin with a higher power process and it'll be great for all in ones and mining. Nice.

If Apple ever does this Intel is in big trouble. And I'm pretty sure Apple is poised to do this. They have already announced that they will no longer use Intel processors in their upcoming products.

This is the first legitimate threat to the x86 architecture.

i don't keep up on snapdragon chips - but the i7 8550u in my ultrabook is pretty damn snappy and supports 32GB of addressable memory. only consumes 15W too

let's see the benchmarks and performance numbers and then Id probably care a lot more about what's going on.

At the right price point I could see this punishing Intel in The Chromebook space. It just needs to beat the Celeron N3350 while being a similar price and it will sweep them.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Apples interest isn't in challenging x86 but rather in closing any and all holes in their closed ecosystem. Qualcomm and Samsung are starting to realize there is very little difference between a laptop and a cell phone and plenty of benefits to bringing cellphone features to a laptop platform. Should be good for consumers provided they don't go full retard and pull an apple.

If Apple ever does this Intel is in big trouble. And I'm pretty sure Apple is poised to do this. They have already announced that they will no longer use Intel processors in their upcoming products.

The legitimate threat isn't moving away from x86. I mean how can we forget PowerPC already? The threat comes from combining OSX and iOS into one and then making a legitimate push to eliminate the PC entirely in favor of a phone + accessories (dock, etc.). Apple has such a small and niche percentage of the PC market that moving away from x86 is irrelevant.

Last edited:
The legitimate threat isn't moving away to x86. I mean how can we forget PowerPC already? The threat comes from combining OSX and iOS into one and then making a legitimate push to eliminate the PC entirely in favor of a phone + accessories (dock, etc.). Apple has such a small and niche percentage of the PC market that moving away from x86 is irrelevant.
It could happen. Really the only ones clinging on to x86 for dear life are Intel and Microsoft. I guess AMD to some extent also. Everyone else in the industry would *love* to see MS's monopoly finally broken. x86 is a bottleneck from what I understand also. I would love to see a free and open gaming platform such as Linux take over. It would be wonderful.

A "fab-less" company that doesn't actually produce a physical product, designs a chip and rumors claim this design is 35% faster blah blah blah...

Talk to me when you have a product in hand that does exactly what you say it does. Until then its just investor-bait.

The problem with America is its own success. Too many smart people got rich quick, paid for someone to "educate" their children and then left all their money to them. Life doesn't work that way. King Darius, a warrior from birth, conquered all of Persia and it was a mighty empire while he lived. His son Xerxes was spoiled from birth. He couldn't even conquer a fractured backwoods country protected by a few thousand soldiers... not to mention his mighty Persian navy met the same fate on the sea from a people that weren't naval warriors themselves. Plato's "Laws" is an amazing read, and along with things like the "Bible" and "Quran" and other "religious" or "philosophical" texts you can actually figure out the crap that goes on today while not knowing a damn thing. The patterns just repeat.

Most of the news articles and rumors you hear about are simply to get rich stupid people to throw their money at one company or another so that said company doesn't have to spend a dime of their own. First rule of Business, Investing, and general Moneymaking, don't use your own money. Second, you don't have money until you have enough that the money makes itself.

Just watch a companies stock value change according to stories and events that happen. Its always hilarious to watch the huge jumps and falls when a news story about the company hits the front page.

The legitimate threat isn't moving away from x86. I mean how can we forget PowerPC already? The threat comes from combining OSX and iOS into one and then making a legitimate push to eliminate the PC entirely in favor of a phone + accessories (dock, etc.). Apple has such a small and niche percentage of the PC market that moving away from x86 is irrelevant.

They'd have to convince the power players that make the popular professional software for their platform to go along with it, such as Adobe.

They can do the switch for most of their apps no problem, and many users will come along. But the professionals that swear by their products make up a fair amount of their larger unit sales. If they had to use emulation at a performance reduction, they'd be only hurting themselves.

They'd have to convince the power players that make the popular professional software for their platform to go along with it, such as Adobe.

They can do the switch for most of their apps no problem, and many users will come along. But the professionals that swear by their products make up a fair amount of their larger unit sales. If they had to use emulation at a performance reduction, they'd be only hurting themselves.
Apple doesn't care about professionals. The common isheep doesn't care about performance. They can sell desktops with phone CPU and charge $1000 more. They call it the next great innovation and the isheep will eat it up. The profrprofess market is peanuts compared to the isheep market.

I don't think these are a singificant threat to x86 chips currently on the market in the PC space for one reason. Software catalog. The ARM catalog is still tiny.

It could change over time, but as it stands today the software catalog is not there.

It could happen. Really the only ones clinging on to x86 for dear life are Intel and Microsoft. I guess AMD to some extent also. Everyone else in the industry would *love* to see MS's monopoly finally broken. x86 is a bottleneck from what I understand also. I would love to see a free and open gaming platform such as Linux take over. It would be wonderful.

The gaming market is tiny compared to business/enterprise, where the real bulk of revenue and profit is generated from. x86 isn't going anywhere.

Apple did not announce it. It just some random bloomberg post. People have been saying this for years as well.

Apple cannot shift their OSX system entirely to none X86 platform. If they ever do that, it's will kill their entire Macbook Pro line up for professional uses, especially in software industry, which is also a big chunk of their revenues for Mac.

Apple did not announce it. It just some random bloomberg post. People have been saying this for years as well.

Apple cannot shift their OSX system entirely to none X86 platform. If they ever do that, it's will kill their entire Macbook Pro line up for professional uses, especially in software industry, which is also a big chunk of their revenues for Mac.
Can't they just port all the apps over to IOS? Or use emulation?

I don't believe this announcement has ever happened. But i do agree that apple is wanting to make their own.. hence the scant mac updates.

Sure they can. Apple makes the majority of their money these days on the device market: phones, tablets, accessories, that kind of thing. While they do make money on their computer business for sure, they could discontinue it entirely and still be doing very well financially. So ya, they could decide to go full iOS and just screw pro users. Apple has never been an enterprise company and as of late they've cared less and less about the pro market. While there are still pros who hitch their wagon to Apple, that doesn't mean Apple is hitched to them.

This is a company that can and has made massive changes with no announcement leading up to them, they can very well do it again.

They have switched archtictures before, and Amc loyalists just stick with it, and software developers promptly release new versions for the new architecture.

Apples blind loyalist following allows them to defy many of the typical laws of the gravity in the industry.

Think of it this way Apple has switched as follows:

Motorola 68k + MacOS -> PowerPC + MacOS -> PowerPC + OSX -> X86 + OSX

Going to Arm + OS X would just be doing it one more time. If past performance is any prediction of future success, the odds are in their favor.

Already back in 2016, Apples A9X was going head to head with Intel's Core-M chips, so they have the performance. Remember, Apple designs BY FAR the best Arm chips on the market. No one else comes even close, not Samsung, not Qualcomm, no one. Sure, they have been limited to low wattage mobile use thus far, but if they crank up the power envelope who knows what they can accomplish, especially now that Intel is struggling with 10nm.

Intel is in an unenviable position right now. Sure they are the 800lb gorilla in the room, but despite trying (I actually liked my Intel based x86 Asus Zenfone 2) they ahvent been able to really break into mobile, they are losing Apple as a customer, and they are facing renewed competition in their "safe" baseline market in desktop and laptop PC's all while struggling in the next gen production process.

The empire will probably strike back (they usually do) but it's going to cost them.

Kindof a baity title.(from bloomberg, the second) I don't doubt they are doing it, they have just never confirmed it.

Fair. I didn't mean that there had been an official statement from Apple. They don't do that. They like to make "magical" presentations with "courage" at their developer conferences, or whatever they call them.

The assumption is that if Bloomberg had an inside source telling them these things, they probably wouldn't publish it, unless they felt pretty comfortable with said source.

Fair. I didn't mean that there had been an official statement from Apple. They don't do that. They like to make "magical" presentations with "courage" at their developer conferences, or whatever they call them.

The assumption is that if Bloomberg had an inside source telling them these things, they probably wouldn't publish it, unless they felt pretty comfortable with said source.

I believe them, i figured they would have already come out with a new macbook air on arm, and slowly moving the others over as the speed improves. People doing heavy video editing are gonna be pissed lol.

Back