Quake Remastered

Armenius

Extremely [H]

UPDATE 1900 UTC
The remastered version of Quake went live on Steam and is included with the original game, so no additional purchase is necessary. It has launch options to choose to run the original version or the remastered version.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2310/view/2945904318371492362

UPDATE 1730 UTC
Quake Remastered has just been sprung a release on Microsoft Store for PC, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, PlayStation 4, and PlayStation 5. The game includes coop and deathmatch for both online and local play, unlike the recent Doom releases. Online play supports crossplay between all platforms. Link to the Microsoft Store provided thanks to TaintedSquirrel. Since it's a Zenimax game it is also include with Xbox Game Pass.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/Quake/9P1Z43KRNQD4?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

1629394439858.png

1629394561691.png

1629394474208.png

1629394526735.png

Original Post Below

A new listing for Quake appeared on the ESRB website for Gen 8 and 9 consoles, along with "Windows PC." A new port like that for Doom and Doom 2 using Unity may be incoming. I highly doubt that it will be a remaster or remake.

https://www.esrb.org/ratings/37924/Quake/

1629380064361.png

Last edited:
The rumor mill is suspecting/hoping its a reboot like Doom 2016 with a collaboration between ID/MachineGames. Hopefully this is true!

Hugo let it slip that they have been working on Quake at QuakeCon, so we'll see what that ultimately means.

I always liked the setting and concept behind the first Quake game. As much as I enjoyed the sequels and their sci-fi direction, I wanted them to go back to the inter-dimensional dark fantasy setting. If they could give me a Doom (2016) style of game set in the original Quake universe I'd be all about it.

I always liked the setting and concept behind the first Quake game. As much as I enjoyed the sequels and their sci-fi direction, I wanted them to go back to the inter-dimensional dark fantasy setting. If they could give me a Doom (2016) style of game set in the original Quake universe I'd be all about it.
The Lovecraftian theme of the original is definitely why it's my favorite. I frankly could never get into any of the games from 2 onward. I'd love to see what a game based on the original concept for the first game would look and play like.

They mention time travel, so maybe they can include elements of Q2 and Q1. I love both horror and sci-fi, and like both Quakes equally, so this can be their chance to meld the two together.

I remember being disappointed by the soundtrack initially (I think I expected a NIN album), but I grew to really enjoy how atmospheric and creepy it was. Assuming this actually happens, I hope they follow suit with a similar style. I don't necessarily expect Trent Reznor again, but someone else could emulate the style of the first game.

I was hoping for a totally new game. Can't say I really have much interest in a re-release. Oh well. Maybe this is the first step toward a new one.

SteamDB shows the beta branch being updated yesterday for the original game, so the remaster may be free for owners of the original on Steam. Might want to hold off buying it on the Microsoft Store, but go for it if you have Game Pass.

https://steamdb.info/app/2310/depots/

quite the step up in system reqs ;)
the recommended side was all "not specified" and its $13.46CAN but if you have it id check that last post^^^^
1629395147938.png

edit from steams page
1629400555913.png

Last edited:
I was hoping for a totally new game. Can't say I really have much interest in a re-release. Oh well. Maybe this is the first step toward a new one.

This is a texture update for a 25 year old game. Even adding ray tracing doesn't really get you very far in terms of visuals. Sure, the game looks better but it still looks like a game that came out a quarter of a century ago. No thanks.

This is a texture update for a 25 year old game. Even adding ray tracing doesn't really get you very far in terms of visuals. Sure, the game looks better but it still looks like a game that came out a quarter of a century ago. No thanks.
but it has a new expansion too... :)

I remember being disappointed by the soundtrack initially (I think I expected a NIN album), but I grew to really enjoy how atmospheric and creepy it was. Assuming this actually happens, I hope they follow suit with a similar style. I don't necessarily expect Trent Reznor again, but someone else could emulate the style of the first game.

This is my first time hearing the soundtrack in a long time. My original CD got scratched to shit about 20 years ago, so I've been playing without it ever since. It was worth the $10 just for that.

Got $10 that says Quake HD Remix from 2015 is better. From our article in 2015 on HardOCP.

The Quake Community Lives

I began poking around on Google, the Steam forums, and couple of other places looking for Quake mods that would give me better visual fidelity in this 4K world. Now believe or not, there has been a lot of modding done to Quake in the last 19 years. Crazy huh? What is really crazy, is that looks like a decent amout of modding has been done to Quake in the last three or four years.

After reading for about an hour, I came across the Quake HD Remix by Nick Wride. This seemed to be the one. The one mod I wanted anyway. What truly surprised me is that Nick has been working on this in 2015. His last update on this page is dated May of 2015. I figured anything I found for Quake modding would be 5 to 10 years old at the least. Obviously there is a still a small but busy Quake community still churning out mods and maps. If you check the QuakeOne site you will see three postings for this month with one of those pointing to 5 new map releases from within the last few weeks! From there I found a guy on a Youtube channel doing Quake Grave episodes, which his last one being episode 98 posted a few days ago. Another good resource for maps and tips I found along the way is QuadAddicted, so you might check it out too.

Back on topic. Nick is very clear that all of the mod work done is not his original work. He is very clear on this and not in any way trying to take credit from anyone else. What Nick has done is that he has taken the work of some very talented Quake modders and put it all into one big package. The package was fairly easy to install as well. Overall it works pretty damn well too when it comes to making Quake look like it actually belongs on a 4K screen. In fact, I was down right blown away by the visual fidelity. There are some glitches here and there, but not enough to turn me off to Nick's Quake HD Remix. The surface of the water on the maps is odd sometimes, and there is an issue with lens flares and monster models being able to be seen through walls when you are under the water's surface. One big glitch was the Chthon boss level. There were some monster spawing issues, and the Chthon itself was not textured. Even then it is still not a dealbreaker. (I always thought the Chthon level kinda sucked anyway.)

Movie industry: We've run out of original ideas and anything else we try, we get hit with a ton of usage violations. So we're recreating movies we've already done.

Game industry: Hold my beer....

We're definitely in an era where developers know they can re-package old games and sell them at a huge profit. Nintendo probably opened the door when they introduced old games to the Wii store. I'm not opposed to something like the PS5 Demon's Souls or the new RE2 and RE3 games. Even compilations like the Uncharted Collection are cool. This is pretty lame IMO. It's only $10, but it's still a 25 year old game that looks 95% the same. A new DLC map doesn't add much when you consider the sheer amount of free Quake levels and content out there.

Got $10 that says Quake HD Remix from 2015 is better. From our article in 2015 on HardOCP.

Well, yeah, of course. I have a modded version Quake on every machine I own, and they are all more visually impressive than this, by a long shot, but they all have their quirks. The problem is, my OCD kicks in every time, and I get distracted from playing and waste time trying to make it perfect. Then I fail, and then I get pissed off.

Was really hoping for more than this when I saw the trailer announcement. May still pick it up but I think it deserves better.

EDIT: It looks like if you already own Quake, it's free? That's cool.

If it’s free to me I’ll check it out.

The original Quake is my favorite out of the series.

Thanks to posters here went and got this update as I bought Quake on Steam years ago. Playing the new episode and so far, so good. New episode is more of a challenge to me then the originals and two levels in now I like what they did. Runs fine on my machine even though I'm below their minimal 'specs'. Only complaint is mouse movement, figured out that turning vsync off helps quite a bit, but movement still feels clunky and 'slippery'. Definitely not crisp like the original Quake. I see others having the same issue so hopefully they patch that up.

Thanks to posters here went and got this update as I bought Quake on Steam years ago. Playing the new episode and so far, so good. New episode is more of a challenge to me then the originals and two levels in now I like what they did. Runs fine on my machine even though I'm below their minimal 'specs'. Only complaint is mouse movement, figured out that turning vsync off helps quite a bit, but movement still feels clunky and 'slippery'. Definitely not crisp like the original Quake. I see others having the same issue so hopefully they patch that up.
Feel ya, brother.

1629435458277.png

Nightmare difficulty was changed for some reason. Enemies no longer move and fire fast, but your health is limited to 50 max and enemies track you a lot better. It's a dumb change.

If you're having stuttering issues put this in the launch options on Steam:
Code:
+vk_compileShaders 1
If you have the Microsoft Store version you'll have to put it in your config file without the '+'.

Was really hoping for more than this when I saw the trailer announcement. May still pick it up but I think it deserves better.

EDIT: It looks like if you already own Quake, it's free? That's cool.
I put an update at the top of the OP under the trailer yesterday saying it's free if you already own it on Steam.

G-SYNC on and V-Sync off and the mouse is crisp and raw for me. Got rotation to equal pretty much 1-1 with my mouse movement.

I wish they would have remade it from scratch with modern graphics.
A fresh quake with a team fortress mod would have made me so happy.

Some stores are still selling keys for $1.50 ~ $3, using the old prices I guess.
It's $2.79 on GMG.
Just bought Quake 1 code for $2.49 at eGaming. Downloaded and upgraded through Steam. Came with all the mission packs which was a nice little surprise. Played a few MP games and it brought back some nostagilia. Used to have this game way back but cannot find it. Looked at what original big box versions are going for on Fee Bay and almost crapped. Have to look for mine again.

For me, the old graphics really are part of the charm of the game. Back in the Unreal days I worked at 3dfx, and those early 3D graphics just take me back to that memorable time.

For me, the old graphics really are part of the charm of the game. Back in the Unreal days I worked at 3dfx, and those early 3D graphics just take me back to that memorable time.

I would really expect a remaster to have some kind of CRT filter. That was a consideration for devs then, it should be the same now.

Back