Quake II RTX

So DF states that they took a performance hit. Perhaps the game takes better use of multi GPUs now? My FPS is about 10% higher than it was on release, and I have everything cranked to the max.

On my 4k Display I can Use Dynamic Res and stay at 55 - 60fps with a RTX2070 which is pretty cool. I have no clue about multi GPU's, and how Vulcan works with those.

Here's 4k:

Quake 2 RTX Remaster Screenshot 2019.11.29 - 17.50.34.94.png

Quake 2 RTX Remaster Screenshot 2019.11.29 - 19.47.51.00.png

Quake 2 RTX Remaster Screenshot 2019.11.29 - 20.33.38.46.png

Only 1440p, but everything maxed (high illumination, 8 levels of reflection recursion, no dynamic scaling. I'll have to test that out). Since I moved, unfortunately my 4k display is in another room, so stuck @ 1440p. Why didn't the nice 4k 144p HDR displays go on sale today???

View attachment 203399

Only 1440p, but everything maxed (high illumination, 8 levels of reflection recursion, no dynamic scaling. I'll have to test that out). Since I moved, unfortunately my 4k display is in another room, so stuck @ 1440p. Why didn't the nice 4k 144p HDR displays go on sale today???

That looks sharp man, love the textures on the "Metal" wall.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/1089130/announcements/detail/1701729747592051834

Quake II RTX 1.3.0 PATCH
Hey, everyone! Today we're releasing v1.3.0, featuring an exclusive Photo Mode, support for video cutscenes, and further improvements. Read our full article here.

New Features:
  • Added Photo Mode
  • Added free camera controls for Photo Mode when the game is paused. See the Readme for more information.
  • Added support for Depth of Field in Photo Mode
  • Added support for campaign video cutscenes.
  • Added support for selecting which display should be used for the fullscreen mode.
  • Added support for loading map-specific files with sky clusters, which should be useful for custom maps.
  • Added display of the selected inventory item name in the status bar.

Photo Mode Instructions:
When a single player game or demo playback is paused with the pause key, the photo mode activates. In this mode, denoisers and some other real-time rendering approximations are disabled, and the image is produced using accumulation rendering instead. This means that the engine renders the same frame hundreds or thousands of times, with different noise patterns, and averages the results. Once the image is stable enough, you can save a screenshot.

e0b9f22633842c0f1fa60dbda079d9ea11628b59.jpg

Depth of Field (DoF) - simulates camera aperture and defocus blur, or bokeh. To control DoF in the game, use the mouse wheel and Shift/Ctrl modifier keys: wheel alone adjusts the focal distance, Shift+Wheel adjusts the aperture size, and Ctrl makes the adjustments finer.

526a9fec7d7017c5c948bdb9d60c3976be2149fe.jpg

Free Camera Controls - once the game is paused, you can move the camera and detach it from the character. To move the camera, use the regular W/A/S/D keys, plus Q/E to move up and down. Shift makes movement faster, and Ctrl makes it slower. To change orientation of the camera, move the mouse while holding the left mouse button. To zoom, move the mouse up or down while holding the right mouse button. To adjust camera roll, move the mouse left or right while holding both mouse buttons.

Settings for all these features can be found in the game menu. To adjust the settings from the console, see the pt_accumulation_rendering, pt_dof, pt_aperture, pt_freecam and some other similar console variables in the Client Manual.

Fixed Issues:
Fixed a crash that happened at map load time when a custom map has no analytic lights.
Reduced the noise in the biggun map next to the barred windows.
Reduced the noise from yellow lamps next to the entrance of the jail4 map at night.

Misc Improvements:
Improved the menu settings to show units for various sliders, such as degrees or percentage.
Made the volume controls logarithmic instead of linear.

Enjoy! Let us know if you have any questions.

I like how they're simulating a lens with five aperture blades; quite rare, because it makes most stuff look like ass, but it seems that they simulated less ass :D

[for photo geeks: the most prolific lens I'm aware of was Canon's EF 50mm f/1.8 II -- the first model had six, and the current model has seven rounded blades -- having five blades seemed like a product segmentation thing at the time, but given that the lens was US$100, it was hard to complain about]

I can't believe I'm benchmarking Quake 2 in 2020, what a time to be alive! Just fired up the latest version on the new rig and getting 80fps at 1440p with the settings on maximum. GI high and 8 bounce whatever. Not sure if this is good or bad lol. I do notice there is quite the input latency, maybe something isn't set properly but it's my first trip with RTX enabled.

I can't believe I'm benchmarking Quake 2 in 2020, what a time to be alive! Just fired up the latest version on the new rig and getting 80fps at 1440p with the settings on maximum. GI high and 8 bounce whatever. Not sure if this is good or bad lol. I do notice there is quite the input latency, maybe something isn't set properly but it's my first trip with RTX enabled.

What are your specs? I'm getting about 60-70 fps @ 1440p, but no input latency.

No input lag here either, 1080p. RTX2070. 55-65 FPS avg.

While Nytegard seems to have no issues, I recall the dev mentioning that 1080p is optimal.

Try "Low Latency" mode in the "On" position in the Nvidia Control Panel maybe?

Screenshot - 1_12_2020 , 08_27_56.png

How come? Do I need higher clocks even? The new update did mention multiple GPU support.

I think he means it's way too high. Many of us, including myself, posted our "experience" with the 2080TIs when they were released. I think I had to go through somewhere between 5-7 replacements (forget how many, but it was quite a few), before I managed to get two working ones. I'm not really pushing the speed that much because of my bad experience with NVidia and the 2080TI.

And are you also using the dynamic resolution? I disabled mine. I mean, 60 FPS is good enough for me to be honest. And obviously, 4k is out of the question.

Good ideas. Yeah I'm only pushing them in benchmarks. Going to run with just power slider up in games. I haven't upped the voltage at all though if that helps. Does pushing higher clocks cause any other problems? These 2 have Samsung memory if that makes a difference.

Some cool stuff about DRS in Q2 RTX:

AlexP [developer] Nov 29, 2019 @ 3:10pm

Thank you for your feedback!

DRS in this game was actually fairly easy to implement, because frame times depend mostly on the resolution, and not so much on what happens on the screen. So, a pretty slow proportional controller that uses the actual over target frame time ratio as a control signal for resolution scale does the job. For games that have more variable frame times, maybe a more aggressive PID controller will do better, but it's more difficult to tune.

The more complicated part is handling the resolution changes on the renderer side so that they are unnoticeable. All temporal filters need to be aware of dynamic resolution. All spatial filters need to be aware of the actual render size, which is smaller than the render target, to avoid sampling outside of the live area. Things like that. It's still not perfect, and if you make the game change resolution on every frame, you can see some artifacts. So the adjustments happen on every 5th frame, which also makes it possible to filter the frame times to avoid measurement noise.

https://github.com/NVIDIA/Q2RTX/commit/8c38252d2be621c11c0c2d5e5aecf8ab981d46cf

Good ideas. Yeah I'm only pushing them in benchmarks. Going to run with just power slider up in games. I haven't upped the voltage at all though if that helps. Does pushing higher clocks cause any other problems? These 2 have Samsung memory if that makes a difference.

You're getting input lag, fix that first. Quake games are some of the most responsive games available, so the presence of input lag means that there's something wrong somewhere.

I finally get to give this a whirl tonight. (if work would just be over... :D ) Picked up a 2070 Super for the hell of it today. I've played a bit of Q1, Q3A and QC recently, but it's been years since I've played Quake 2. This should be fun.

Vulkan Ray Tracing is now officially released, and anyone with a supported GPU can run it. Now I'd love to figure out how to enable this, because when I fired it up on OpenGL with my 1060 3GB it loaded the old looking version of the game. Enabling RTX mode only leads to a crash upon loading, as it always has.

Sorry, rail gun was very iconic.

Indeed! In any Quake it was in too. (they're all different, but I liked all of them as they were in each Q game)

I like the actual feel of the Q3A one best, but love the look of Q2 and Q4 best.

Hmm I just tried this today and is it just me or is the aim off? At least for me it seems everything is off, like to the lower right quadrant of from the crosshair instead of dead center of the crosshair.

Hmm I just tried this today and is it just me or is the aim off? At least for me it seems everything is off, like to the lower right quadrant of from the crosshair instead of dead center of the crosshair.

Do you have any desktop scaling on in Windows? Not that this is definitely the cause. I've just seen a few games that have an offset if there is scaling enabled in Windows. (even in full-screen modes) Might be worth checking anyway.

I can tell you an I7-10700k @ 5.1 and a 3090 XC3 Hybrid will drive a true 4k experience with 4 bounces for reflections @ 30-35fps. It was playable and oh so pretty. I suspect the input was suboptimal since it felt noticeably laggy on a C8 or C9 OLED in who knows what mode and a Bluetooth mouse on a notepad.

I've written a very simple CPU based parallelized raycaster (very simple) and it takes minutes to render a sizeable image which means I am well and truly impressed by what is being done even if the game itself is old.

Do you have any desktop scaling on in Windows? Not that this is definitely the cause. I've just seen a few games that have an offset if there is scaling enabled in Windows. (even in full-screen modes) Might be worth checking anyway.
No scaling, but it's possible it isn't handling 16:10 resolution correctly. I'll have to try a windowed mode later and see if that fixes it.

Wait so how to I play this special version of Quake 2 RTX? I did download the demo posted recently, and it didn't look anything like these cool screenshots. I have a RTX 3080 card, and when I tried Quake 2 it looked brown and drab no fancy reflections and vibrant colors.

Is this the correct game to download and install, to get the amazing RTX features?

Last edited:
Yeah that's the one, tried the latest version not that long ago (vulkan now) but looks will depend on the settings you choose, not delved too much into those yet.

Yeah, that's the right Steam page. Never had any issue on my 2080 Ti. It loaded up with RTX by default.

Since this is supported via Vulkan now, does my GTX 1080 stand a chance??

I believe Vulkan does have a fallback mode for older non-RTX cards. I don't know if that it is used in Quake II, and if so it's probably slow as hell, but it's worth trying.

Back