Quake Champions Official Thread

Is this game any good in comparison to other arena shooters these days? I got this with the humble monthly and am getting the itch to play some Quake or UT.

Is this game any good in comparison to other arena shooters these days? I got this with the humble monthly and am getting the itch to play some Quake or UT.

It's by no means perfect yet, but they are actively releasing updates. I've only played it a little bit, but so far I like it. It'll be a while before I'd call it ready for serious playing, but I'd say it's worth an install, hopping in, and giving it a try to see what's coming. I think it's a huge mistake that they're not releasing a dedicated server, but that's just kind of the way things are these days. They did say they'd be "exploring" more possibilities for bots, offline play, etc. so who knows. It is looking good though, and it feels like a Quake Arena style of game. Just needs refinement IMO. I've been planning to hop back in and play more for a bit now, but have been distracted with other games for a bit. I'm not sure what the Humble version includes. I bought the $30ish Steam version that I believe includes most characters, etc.

I'm not really a fan of how they're attempting to market this. It's kind of all over the board. I just figured buying the most complete version would cut down on the BS. I do like where the game itself appears to be headed though so far.

Installing now, going to give it a try tonight or this weekend sometime. I haven't played an arena shooter since UT2K3 so it's been awhile.

I played this for a while in beta and after release. Net code needs help and some cheaters (not too many). The match making was horrid so you end up facing off against the old school players who never took a break from Quake and are godlike. Which I would not mind if the hero's were not bs. Unless they patched it in the last month to remove or fix the OP ults and balance the characters out meh. If it wasn't for those two issues for me it would be great and I was more of a UT99 guy.

It's going to be free to play I'm not sure when though if you ask me sooner the better. I see a guy on steam and his name was Quake Champions is Dead.

I really need to jump back into it, and see what they've been working on. It definitely needed a bit of work before, but seemed to be coming along decently. I haven't touched it much yet.

If you check your email they gave away free codes today at 12:49 today just not for the characters pack free Plat.

Game still isn't that great, hit detection has gotten a little better. Certainly in no way an evolution of the Quake series. Having different player speeds and hitboxes was a really bad idea.

This game is dead as shit I couldn't find a game with 5 minutes in the browser Refund for sure.
I didn't even have fun in the tutorial I should of know better in the Beta. Movement is way too fast to even be enjoyable unlike Quake I.

Just bumping this in hopes of getting more people playing. Lots of changes have been made and it is pretty good now. Lots of new players but also a good amount of older ones so be prepared to get wrecked.

I have mixed feelings on the gore, personally I think it is pointless but if it has an on/off feature than that's cool. Games are usually too fast paced to appreciate the details and more hardcore players usually turn down the graphics anyway to get a higher stable FPS. IMO, a lot more maps are needed before a gore system but that's just me.

I have mixed feelings on the gore, personally I think it is pointless but if it has an on/off feature than that's cool. Games are usually too fast paced to appreciate the details and more hardcore players usually turn down the graphics anyway to get a higher stable FPS. IMO, a lot more maps are needed before a gore system but that's just me.
I agree 100% on the maps. That is basically the sole reason I haven't played it in a few months. I couldn't even tell you if I even have it installed right now.

I agree 100% on the maps. That is basically the sole reason I haven't played it in a few months. I couldn't even tell you if I even have it installed right now.

Someone brought up an awesome idea on forums, hold a map creation contest for the player base and use the best ones created. Even if they have to edit the submissions that would save them a boatload of time and effort and include the community at the same time.

I do wish for more maps, but i'm a map whore, they have a decent enough amount of them now for DM TDM. But we mostly play Sacrifice, so i want more Sacrifice maps. The gore system is fine and all and should make for some extra lulz as long as it's not frame wrecking or you can turn it off or down. It already gets a bit crazy with explosions and ability effects.

As of right now, the game is playing the best it ever has. If you have lag it's not nearly as bad as it was early on, it's still perfectly playable most of the time with a few floaty moments or some random delayed hits, but lag is lag, and all online games have it at some point.

There is currently more players playing lately, depends on the time and day, but you can almost always get a DM or TDM match in a few minutes or less and more people are playing Sacrifice, which is good, as imo it's the funnest thing about the game, plus now Instajib!
The core players that have been playing since the beginning of alpha are mostly still here, the ones who truly love Quake, and to them this is Quake, it's a modern take on Quake but it's Quake none the less and everything else feels slow and dull in comparison. It's an uphill climb in 2018 for a game like this, it's hard on newbies, there isn't a lot of insta gratification, i guess it's for weirdos who can take it to the face but just can't quit and want to get better and return the favor.

I do wish for more maps, but i'm a map whore, they have a decent enough amount of them now for DM TDM. But we mostly play Sacrifice, so i want more Sacrifice maps. The gore system is fine and all and should make for some extra lulz as long as it's not frame wrecking or you can turn it off or down. It already gets a bit crazy with explosions and ability effects.

As of right now, the game is playing the best it ever has. If you have lag it's not nearly as bad as it was early on, it's still perfectly playable most of the time with a few floaty moments or some random delayed hits, but lag is lag, and all online games have it at some point.

There is currently more players playing lately, depends on the time and day, but you can almost always get a DM or TDM match in a few minutes or less and more people are playing Sacrifice, which is good, as imo it's the funnest thing about the game, plus now Instajib!
The core players that have been playing since the beginning of alpha are mostly still here, the ones who truly love Quake, and to them this is Quake, it's a modern take on Quake but it's Quake none the less and everything else feels slow and dull in comparison. It's an uphill climb in 2018 for a game like this, it's hard on newbies, there isn't a lot of insta gratification, i guess it's for weirdos who can take it to the face but just can't quit and want to get better and return the favor.

I know a lot of people that straight quit the game, more than are still playing.

The game has a real problem in that it's incapable of keeping new blood especially in TDM/SAC. The player base is very small compared to other games. And there are a lot of premades in TDM and SAC. Premades VS randoms is always going to be a curb stomp, it's even worse when the premades tend to be vets and the randoms noobs. So TDM and SAC are actively driving people from the game currently.

The content has been steady and quality though. And the game plays much better than it did in alpha.

IMHO what they really need to do is.

• Get the game out of early access and into full release with a marketing blitz.
  • Segregate premades from randoms just like ranked is segregated already.
  • New maps, CTF, arena.
  • Don't stick new blood with just ranger. Give ranger and one random other a week.

I know a lot of people that straight quit the game, more than are still playing.

The game has a real problem in that it's incapable of keeping new blood especially in TDM/SAC. The player base is very small compared to other games. And there are a lot of premades in TDM and SAC. Premades VS randoms is always going to be a curb stomp, it's even worse when the premades tend to be vets and the randoms noobs. So TDM and SAC are actively driving people from the game currently.

The content has been steady and quality though. And the game plays much better than it did in alpha.

IMHO what they really need to do is.

• Get the game out of early access and into full release with a marketing blitz.
  • Segregate premades from randoms just like ranked is segregated already.
  • New maps, CTF, arena.
  • Don't stick new blood with just ranger. Give ranger and one random other a week.

Agree. Some good ideas.
When i come across newbs usually i relax and let them kill me here and there, or actually try to give tips ect. I'd rather let them kill me than drive them away.
Game has felt like it's on life support, i know a lot of people left, but also some of them pop back in from time to time, or have returned semi regularly, currently it's on an upswing actually.

Avg. Players
Gain % Gain Peak Players
Last 30 Days 600.1 +168.8 +39.15% 1,486
April 2018 431.3 +112.7 +35.35% 1,486
March 2018 318.6 +7.9 +2.55% 881
February 2018 310.7 -26.3 -7.79% 756
January 2018 336.9 -20.7 -5.78% 870

That might seem pretty poor, but it was never going to compete with Overwatch or Fortnight ect, and i don't think anyone should have ever thought it would, it's still the best skill based arena shooter out there right now. I have been playing almost daily since alpha weekend two when i finally got my key and i still see people i have never seen before all the time.

Agree. Some good ideas.
When i come across newbs usually i relax and let them kill me here and there, or actually try to give tips ect. I'd rather let them kill me than drive them away.
Game has felt like it's on life support, i know a lot of people left, but also some of them pop back in from time to time, or have returned semi regularly, currently it's on an upswing actually.

Avg. Players
Gain % Gain Peak Players
Last 30 Days 600.1 +168.8 +39.15% 1,486
April 2018 431.3 +112.7 +35.35% 1,486
March 2018 318.6 +7.9 +2.55% 881
February 2018 310.7 -26.3 -7.79% 756
January 2018 336.9 -20.7 -5.78% 870

That might seem pretty poor, but it was never going to compete with Overwatch or Fortnight ect, and i don't think anyone should have ever thought it would, it's still the best skill based arena shooter out there right now. I have been playing almost daily since alpha weekend two when i finally got my key and i still see people i have never seen before all the time.

Good on you for that but you're in a minority. Mixing premades with randoms is always a problem, and the small player base of "people have played for over a decade and know each other and hang out in the same chats/forums" vs "random people trying it out" is begging for issues.

FWIW the player base is gaining players from Quake Live. And that's largely been as issues have been resolved and the game has started to form. This is why CTF and Arena are so important, they do have player bases that this game needs.

They should actually just smash premades and ranked into the same thing.

It's gaining players from more than Quake Live. Tagg from TF2 came over and is fun to watch. Fatal1ty is moonlighting in QC for a bit too, coming from Fortnite. Im sure he is getting paid to play though for the exposure. I see a hell of a lot of whining comparing it to Fortnite and CS so I assume people are coming from those games as well.

At the end of the day it is staying in early access too long. They are not promoting the game very well either. Nor is there content atm to keep folks playing. But hopefully that will change and right now it is pretty fun if you are into this sort of game.

It's gaining players from more than Quake Live. Tagg from TF2 came over and is fun to watch. Fatal1ty is moonlighting in QC for a bit too, coming from Fortnite. Im sure he is getting paid to play though for the exposure. I see a hell of a lot of whining comparing it to Fortnite and CS so I assume people are coming from those games as well.

At the end of the day it is staying in early access too long. They are not promoting the game very well either. Nor is there content atm to keep folks playing. But hopefully that will change and right now it is pretty fun if you are into this sort of game.

Wendle has been off and on since alpha.

The new update with bots was just released. Looks like a pretty huge update overall. I think I'm going to give it a proper try finally. Can practice a little before I go in and get destroyed. :D Still pretty good at Q3A, but haven't played any of these in a little bit.

Grab this amazing game on the steam sale while there's still time left! I believe you can also play for free, but your choice of champions is limited.

It's really not bad now. I wish I had more time to play it actually. I have such short gaming sessions right now though due to projects I'm working on, that the only real solution is short plays on the indies I play. I feel like if I sit down at QC, I need to give it a bit more focus than that.

I just like NYX but not really a fan of the game too polished looking nothing like the Cthulu Rustic Quake where you could see the pixels.

I just like NYX but not really a fan of the game too polished looking nothing like the Cthulu Rustic Quake where you could see the pixels.

lol just drop the resolution and turn the graphics way down. Seriously though, Visor is my favorite.

About 50 hours in and I'm enjoying it. Movement is king though and QC movement is as hard as Quake ever was. Possible, but difficult, which is where players have the most problems. Circle/jump strafing aside, rocket-jumping is a must, not only to get around the maps, but to get out of trouble quickly.

The only issue I have isn't so much with the game, but with the number of players on a map. There are 4v4s on maps that are 2v2 at best, making things very spammy. That and of course, the inability for players to set up servers, but this is part of the new way I suppose.

Good game though and I'm glad to see the AFPS isn't dead yet. I'm a long time UT/Unreal series fan/player (hence my moniker) and the way the new UT is going is just heartbreaking. At least Id haven't given up.

I don't like that not zooming in does less damage with the rail and machine gun. One of the things I loved about UT and Quake is there wasn't any aim down the sights quick scoping bullshit.

Both 90 now, so zooming with the RG is pointless (unless it assists in accuracy, I suppose). All the more reason to rebind rt. mouse to something useful.

I'm all for zooming as a function, but I don't like the idea of varying damage automatically due to zooming. Sure, if you have location based damage, and you use it as a tool to hit the head, heart, etc. fine. But just an automatic boost for being zoomed is not a good idea.

I'm all for zooming as a function, but I don't like the idea of varying damage automatically due to zooming. Sure, if you have location based damage, and you use it as a tool to hit the head, heart, etc. fine. But just an automatic boost for being zoomed is not a good idea.

location damage should not be in quake

location damage should not be in quake

I don't know, a rail shot to the head as opposed to an armored body part seems ok to me. I'm not talking down to the finger, but head/chest for example? I wouldn't complain about that. I also wouldn't complain about it not being there either. I'd still rather have that than zoom-based variance.

Back