Quad port nic for ESXi 5.0 - Sandybridge host

MrReplay

n00b
Hi,

I am looking for a quad port gigabit nic for my vSphere ESXi 5.0 host - I've bought a few nics in the past that haven't fitted (getting confused with the various PCI types...)

Motherboard = Z68 Fatal1ty Gen 3

Any help greatly appreciated!!

:cool:

Intel or Broadcom would probably be the easiest to get ahold of. Look for an Intel Pro/1000 PT quad nic on ebay. You could also do 2 dual nics too.

Hey thanks for reply - could you link me to quad port nic's that would fit that motherboard??

I keep getting ones that don't fit :(

You have to use one of your red slots.

QHalo is correct. If you are trying to us the black ones then the best you are going to get is a single port card. Anything beyond that (dual port+ cards) were PCI-X. You could "technically" use a PCI-X card in a PCI slot but the bus speed of PCI slots is too slow for that.

Just use one of the red slots if you can. Otherwise, get another board for ESXi.

LOL, thank you for explaining in layman's terms!!

It hadn't occurred to me to use one of those slots, I thought they were just for graphics :rolleyes:

:D

i have a Intel PRO/1000 VT "Intel Gigabit VT Quad" you can find them on ebay for around a 100$

running on ESXi 5.1 Update 1 (Build 1065491) on a Asus RIVG and has virtual machine device queues (VMDq)

0TuEcxJ.png

i have a Intel PRO/1000 VT "Intel Gigabit VT Quad" you can find them on ebay for around a 100$

running on ESXi 5.1 Update 1 (Build 1065491) on a Asus RIVG and has virtual machine device queues (VMDq)

0TuEcxJ.png

Why so many Nics? A bunch of VM's or running a VM router?

0TuEcxJ.png

Did you end up using anything on your nics? I'm considering a quad nic for my esxi server and can't really justify use, besides utility.

Mostly it's for messing around with link aggregation or using for a router. If you have the room you can get two dual ports for half the price. You might even find 1000PT's for cheaper as well.

Last edited:
Look for some Dell pulls.

Intel cards = $100

Dell pulls that are the same card = $30

Thats for the Dual Port models. The Quads experience the same cost differential
and the ones I got don't even have Dell #'s on them, its straight Intel parts.

Back