Quad Core or SSD?

ochadd

[H]ard|Gawd
Which upgrade would I likely be more impressed with in each machine? Q9550 or OCZ Vertex?

Personal machine: e6750 @ 3.4 and a boot drive is a two platter Seagate 640GB 7200.11.
Work machine: e6420 @ 2.1 and boot drive RAID 1 of Samsung 160GB

Personal:
This time of year the majority of usage comes from kicking around Youtube, playing with/learning Linux, and maybe 30-40 minutes a week waiting on video conversions. During the winter I game 15 or so hours a week and it could be any genre.

Work:
Multitasking. Outlook and Excel open all day, 5-10 browser tabs, 3-4 remote desktop windows, log monitors, and a couple of production applications. Any number of apps I'm just checking out.

I say SSD for both. Only thing a quad will help with is video conversion.

Quad for work, SSD for personal, in my opinion, but I would be tempted to say quad for both anyway. A fast overclocked quad just rips apart everything :D.

I was underwhelmed by the OCZ vertex SSDs. Well, I was underwhelmed by one. Apparently, with two in RAID0, I'll get what I was looking for: instantaneous response from my computer. Though, it'll be a while before I try this, since I already returned the vertex to its owner, hehe.

Quad core,, 300,000 read and writes for a ssd drive before failure, you tell me how long that lasts

i say get an intel SSD for work! only video editing benefits from QC

Quad core,, 300,000 read and writes for a ssd drive before failure, you tell me how long that lasts

That's per cell, not total drive accesses. SSDs have algorithms to "spread around" and relocate existing data to minimize repeated accesses to the same cell. And that's minimum writes, not maximum. Reads don't degrade a SSD at all, afaik.

I like to have my games load faster, especially in single player games that does map changes. SSD ftw!

Regarding SSDs:
This is the best article I have yet found giving a detailed description of how SSDs work, their strengths and their shortcomings. Personally, I find this technology too experimental to get me to be willing to incorporate it into a build I need to rely on just yet. I would wait another year or two for them to work out the kinks, but that is just me.
http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3531

Back