Quad Core Cell phones 4 VZW?? Just wondering

tangoseal

[H]F Junkie
Does anyone have any amount of details on any models of upcoming 2012 Verizon Quad Core mobile phones? I am excited about rumors of quad core phones for 2012.

I am not asking the merits of or to downplay quad core. Just asking if anyone has heard anything about them.

Thanks

There is no real information. Only rumors. LG is rumored to have the first Tegra 3 (*barf*) based phone and the rumors are only 3D renders of an LG device.

Does anyone have any amount of details on any models of upcoming 2012 Verizon Quad Core mobile phones? I am excited about rumors of quad core phones for 2012.

I am not asking the merits of or to downplay quad core. Just asking if anyone has heard anything about them.

Thanks

Hello..

Though 2011 was the year of dual-core, 2012 will bring quad-core processors to smartphones.
The rumored HTC Edge will supposedly be the world’s first quad-core smartphone, running the Tegra 3 chip.

I am not even sure if the Tegra is any good. I know nothing about it really. I just know nvidia is making it.

Make this thread again next month when Mobile World Congress is about to happen.

I would think so for sure this Spring/Summer. Seems like the big next gen phones get announced at the two upcoming tech shows in Feb + March, with those phones releasing typically from April - July. The Samsung Galaxy S]l[ is said to be released sooner than it was last year, supposedly to be previewed at the tech show in February, and possibly released in May worldwide.

Rumors point to the iPhone5 being a QuadCore chip, with a 4"+ large AMOLED screen, and totally revamped iOS, that's if your into iPhones, I am not, but if the iPhone5 is radically upgraded and revised, I am open minded to it. Back to the Summer release time frame possible too.

The Samsung Galaxy S]l[ is said to be released sooner than it was last year, supposedly to be previewed at the tech show in February, and possibly released in May worldwide.

I wouldn't count on it. Take whatever the manufactures/rumors say and +2 to 4 months to that.

I wouldn't count on it. Take whatever the manufactures/rumors say and +2 to 4 months to that.

The Galaxy SII was announced in February, and released in April. But the fucking U.S. carriers got the shaft, or shafted us, and held out another 5 months.

Maybe this time Samsung will actually do a true worldwide release ?

The Galaxy SII was announced in February, and released in April. But the fucking U.S. carriers got the shaft, or shafted us, and held out another 5 months.

Maybe this time Samsung will actually do a true worldwide release ?
Or how about having the carrier customized phones just be the international ones with swapped radios? Heck AT&T can use every single international model without issue, ditto with T-Mobile if the phone comes with pentaband GSM.

Remember reading somewhere HTC is coming out with a quad core soon. Forgot what the code name was.

Or how about having the carrier customized phones just be the international ones with swapped radios? Heck AT&T can use every single international model without issue, ditto with T-Mobile if the phone comes with pentaband GSM.

I agree, Samsung could have released the international Galaxy SII stateside in April in the U.S too, on ATT + T-Mobile.

The U.S carriers have our balls in a vice, not much we can do right now. Sure buy an unlocked international phone for $600-$700, but most can't afford to do that. And for a single line unlimited plan to be close to $100 a month for one smartphone is ridiculous, the European and Asian markets do not pay that much at all.

Man I can't wait for the quad cores, but what I'm really curious about is how long these phones will last before the battery dies!

wow talk about battery not lasting.....and need a rewrite of the OS to handle 4 cores effectively......

I feel that the current crop of dual-core telephones are fast enough. they need to focus on making batteries that last much longer. the R&D folks seem to only be working on one part of the issue and that's power consumption. of course, power consumption is being negated by faster/mode processors and bigger screens. so they need to focus on both parts: smaller power consumption AND denser batteries to hold more power.

wow talk about battery not lasting.....and need a rewrite of the OS to handle 4 cores effectively......

Actually, it isn't as bad as people say in terms of using 4 cores well. Battery life is actually really good on Tegra 3 chips. See below.

Man I can't wait for the quad cores, but what I'm really curious about is how long these phones will last before the battery dies!

See below.

I feel that the current crop of dual-core telephones are fast enough. they need to focus on making batteries that last much longer. the R&D folks seem to only be working on one part of the issue and that's power consumption. of course, power consumption is being negated by faster/mode processors and bigger screens. so they need to focus on both parts: smaller power consumption AND denser batteries to hold more power.

As far as performance overall goes, the more the better for app developers :D. On the rest of your post... batteries really don't have much more to wring from them in current forms, so working on performance per watt and overall power consumption is all they can do for now. As far as quad core CPU's, the Tegra 3 has a 5th companion core that is very light on juice that handles things not needing full strength, so it's actually a good chip for a phone. It gates off the cores that are unused.

A number of Quad core phones are going to be announced towards the end of Feb at the Mobile World Congress.

Back