• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Q6600 or E6850. Which is better?

Oh boy, here we go AGAIN with the quad vs. dual. I usually stay out of these but I am bored, so here is my 2 cents (now worth about 4 cents due to the rise in the cost of copper).

For GAMING, and if OCing the dual because it will probably OC a bit higher.
If not OCing the dual for the faster stock speed, all these chips need to run 3.0GHz+ to really enjoy the "snap".

That said.

Me, personally, even for gaming, I would buy the quad just for the unbeatable price/performance of having two extra cores sitting there (set CPU affinity for Ventrillo or team speak to one of the "un-used" cores or run dual game instances and Alt tab to my buff bot thus not having to fire up my "ole faithful" bot machine ) and the knowledge that my personal game crack, DAoC, runs great on my machine specs below so I know it would run just dandy on the quad with a easy 3.2 OC. But thats just me.

So WHAT game and how you play it would matter a lot and if you use secondary programs while gaming would/should have some influence in the decision as well. But, to my twisted way of thinking, getting two more CPUs for about just $40 more and knowing I can easily OC them to performance level I need, makes it a no brainer, for me.

For you /shrug.
 
I bought the E6850 for $100, and the Q6600 w/ mobo for $180, so I'm figuring out on getting rid of which one. I pretty much only play fps games like CS:S, Team Fortress 2, MOHAA, etc. I do plan on OCing with the max with a Zalman. Don't usually run more than 2 secondary processes.
 
Do a search as well you will find alot of discussion on this exact same topic, many threads. Personally ditch the Dual core and keep the Quad, you will enjoy the performance :)
 
I bought the E6850 for $100, and the Q6600 w/ mobo for $180, so I'm figuring out on getting rid of which one. I pretty much only play fps games like CS:S, Team Fortress 2, MOHAA, etc. I do plan on OCing with the max with a Zalman. Don't usually run more than 2 secondary processes.

Where did you get a e6850 for $100?
 
If you do anything other than gaming, while you're gaming, go with the quad core. :) For instance, I run outlook, browsers, ventrilo, some sort of music player, games.... all at the same time. :)
 
I thought I misread the title, I thought it was q6600 vs e8400(again). IMO e8400 is a better buy, unless your mobo doesnt do 1333fsb.
 
Gaming duel, anything else Quad.

I game but play multiple clients of eve online (7) so a quad core is needed.
 
I dumped my Quad and got the E8400 and play lots of games and am well pleased with the overclocking ability and higher frame rates over my q6600.

" For instance, I run outlook, browsers, ventrilo, some sort of music player, games.... all at the same time" Mentioned above by another poster.

Wow, when I play games, I just play the darn game not a whole bunch of other stuff. Gaming needs all my attention, not understanding the reason to start up other programs as well. :)
 
I'm a "leave everything running" person.. I start programs very rarely! But they're always running in the background, I don't typically start them while playing the game (although I often alt+tab out to use browsers or IM clients). I'm glad that my current system allows me to do that, as I tried to do it with my old 1GB Pentium M laptop and it really wasn't having it.
 
I dumped my Quad and got the E8400 and play lots of games and am well pleased with the overclocking ability and higher frame rates over my q6600.

" For instance, I run outlook, browsers, ventrilo, some sort of music player, games.... all at the same time" Mentioned above by another poster.

Wow, when I play games, I just play the darn game not a whole bunch of other stuff. Gaming needs all my attention, not understanding the reason to start up other programs as well. :)

i did the same thing. the whole 3ghz thing had been done to death, i was doing 3g with an x2 3800+ years ago. it was time for 4ghz. but if i was in the position of the op, i would keep the quad. if i am playing tf2 or something, i wouldnt be running anything in the background that might cause me to stutter or lag anyway. "boy this video encoding/decoding that i do constantly is needed so quickly and is so important that i have to run it while i am gaming". not me.
 
Back
Top