• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Q6600 and 975x

xxEIEIOxx

2[H]4U
Joined
Feb 1, 2008
Messages
2,276
I have a Q6600 G0 on an Intel D975XBX motherboard. 975x chipset. I have 4 1 GB sticks of OCZ Platinum PC2 6400. When I had an E6600 and 2 of these modules, I could run 3.0 Ghz without problems. I thought the current setup would too for a while, but I get random BSODs. Runs fine at stock 2.4. I can actually push it farther with a couple of cheap Kingston sticks of value RAM than I can with the OCZ. Removing 2 sticks does not help. No amount of voltage helps either, be it the RAM, CPU, MCH, or whatever. I would like to get it back up to 3.0. I guess my question would be, has anyone here had any luck getting a Q6600 to 3.0 with 4 sticks RAM on a 975x board? I'm willing to buy different RAM for it, the prices for DDR2 are dirt cheap right now. The OCZ modules need at least 2.1 volts, I am wondering if I would have better luck with something that requires less. Ultimately I wouldn't mind buying 4 2GB modules and going 8 GB, but I fear that would be really pushing it. Maybe 2 2GB modules would do better than 4 1GB. I know the board is getting old, and would love to go i7, but with Windows 7 and DX11 coming most likely sometime next year, I am going to wait for that before doing a new build. Any suggestions for RAM are appreciated, unless it wouldn't help anyway. Which it may not on this mobo.
 
I managed it with 2x1gb and 2x512mb of corsair value select, latest bios applied and 333 FSB, no volt tweaks on anything
 
When I first gor my Q6600, I have it running at 3.2 on a DFI 975x board with 2x1GB and 2x512Mb sticks of RAM.

Do you have the latest BIOS for your motherboard?
 
Yes, latest BIOS. Being an Intel board it lacks options. That's what I get for jumping on C2D when it came out. It was about the only board that supported them at the time. I'm trying to avoid doing the same thing with i7 right now, as tempting as it is to just get one.
 
Are you running the original bad axe like your first post indicates? If so, you may have some problems OC a quad, that was one of the reasons for the xbx2. I have my Q6600 at 3.0 on a xbx2 with 4 sticks of ballistix, no issues.
 
Dont be scared, come on in the waters lovely :D

If you're talking about i7, I very well may do it. I assume you feel it was a worthwhile upgrade?

Just as an aside 3ghz should be no problem on the d975xbx2, there are enough tweak options to get you there,, try not to use all 4 dimm slots as that can limit you. Do you have a b3 or a g0

see http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=124131

helped me

It's a G0. I'll check out that thread but I have been looking on that site too, and it doesn't leave me with a good feeling about this mobo.

Are you running the original bad axe like your first post indicates? If so, you may have some problems OC a quad, that was one of the reasons for the xbx2. I have my Q6600 at 3.0 on a xbx2 with 4 sticks of ballistix, no issues.

I'm running the bad axe 1. I was able to go much higher with the E6600, which I can get back, but the Q6600 feels faster, even at a lower speed. If I have to get a new mobo, I'll just go i7. I want one anyway. I would like to see some better RAM prices first, but that may be a long wait. :(
 
I'm running the bad axe 1. I was able to go much higher with the E6600, which I can get back, but the Q6600 feels faster, even at a lower speed. If I have to get a new mobo, I'll just go i7. I want one anyway. I would like to see some better RAM prices first, but that may be a long wait. :(

P45 boards aren't very expensive right now. For around $100, you could drop all your hardware in a newer board and have it OC a little better. Might be worth it since DDR3 pricing is outrageous (well, I think that since I've been spoiled with DDR2 pricing).
 
Just grab a used P35/P45 based board for cheap. That Intel badaxe board has lasted you quite a while.:D
 
Any thoughts on a GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128358
Some of the reviewers claim getting to 3.4 or 3.6 fairly easily. If I knew I could hit those clocks I would get one. If I get one and it turns out to be the CPU it would really suck. It looks like my options are get a new board and maybe get a decent clock out of it, or go i7 and spent a couple thousand on a new build.
 
Any thoughts on a GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128358
Some of the reviewers claim getting to 3.4 or 3.6 fairly easily. If I knew I could hit those clocks I would get one. If I get one and it turns out to be the CPU it would really suck. It looks like my options are get a new board and maybe get a decent clock out of it, or go i7 and spent a couple thousand on a new build.

I have a Gigabyte P35-DS3R in my main system right now. If I was building another system or needed to replace one of the three motherboards I have for my quads, this is the board I would go with to replace my current board. The price is right and it includes just about everything including the kitchen sink.

I saw this board on the newegg email promotion that was just sent out (and I'm going to guess you saw it as well) and it made me wish I had the money for this board. It would be especially nice as I would grab another video card to match my 8800GT for some triple or quadruple monitor goodness which I have been wanting for a while now.

 
I have a Gigabyte P35-DS3R in my main system right now. If I was building another system or needed to replace one of the three motherboards I have for my quads, this is the board I would go with to replace my current board. The price is right and it includes just about everything including the kitchen sink.

I saw this board on the newegg email promotion that was just sent out (and I'm going to guess you saw it as well) and it made me wish I had the money for this board. It would be especially nice as I would grab another video card to match my 8800GT for some triple or quadruple monitor goodness which I have been wanting for a while now.


Yes, I did just get that Newegg email. I think you've talked me into it. $100 beats $2000. I know it has to be a way better overclocker than this Intel board.
 
Ok, the GA-EP45-UD3P is on the way. Since DDR2 is dirt cheap, I am entertaining the idea of going 8 GB of RAM. I currently have the 4 1GB modules. I could keep those, get 2 2GB modules, or get 4 2GB modules, which would be my preference if I can get a decent overclock out of 8GB and a Q6600. Has anyone gotten 3.0 or better out of a Q6600 on a P45 board with 8GB? I'd of course love to see 3.4 or better, but anything over 3.0 would be fine. Until I eventually do the i7. :D
 
I can't say for sure in regards to overclocks, but I don't think overclocking to 3Ghz with 8 gig in a 4x2gig setup will be much of a problem as long as the RAM is DDR2 800 or better. I wouldn't think higher would be a problem outside of possibly having a bum Q6600. The northbridge would be the main culprit in regards to problems with an overclock and that much RAM but I would bet the P45 chipset is up to the job. If I had the money I'd get another 2x2gig set of RAM to drop in mine for a total of 8 gig and it's a P35 chipset board. Then again, I could always use the RAM in another system if I wasn't able to keep my quad at 3.6Ghz since I have two other systems with only 2 gig and one other with only 1 gig.

 
I see the P45 supports 16 GB RAM, so I don't feel it is too risky to go for 8. DDR2 800 should be good to 3.6 on a Q6600, so if I can get anything even close, that will work. I would love to see 3.6, but anything over 3.0 is good. Newegg has an 8GB OCZ kit for less than $100. Not sure if I should stick with them or try some G.Skill.
 
I see the P45 supports 16 GB RAM, so I don't feel it is too risky to go for 8. DDR2 800 should be good to 3.6 on a Q6600, so if I can get anything even close, that will work. I would love to see 3.6, but anything over 3.0 is good. Newegg has an 8GB OCZ kit for less than $100. Not sure if I should stick with them or try some G.Skill.

I'm partial to Corsair XMS myself.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145184
I have that kit running in my main system right now. I would just need to get another one. In your case, you would just need to buy 2 of the sets for a total of 8 gig.

I've had really good luck with Corsair XMS RAM in the last several years and prefer to stick with what I know works.

 
I'm partial to Corsair XMS myself.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145184
I have that kit running in my main system right now. I would just need to get another one. In your case, you would just need to buy 2 of the sets for a total of 8 gig.

I've had really good luck with Corsair XMS RAM in the last several years and prefer to stick with what I know works.


Thanks for all of your suggestions. I debated between the OCZ and G.Skill last night for a while, and then remembered they had a memory compatibility list on the Gigabyte site for mobo I just ordered. I saw they had some GEIL Black Dragon 2GB modules, so I went for 4 of those. Not many reviews, but the few there are said good things about them. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820144240

I'll report back next week after this stuff comes in and I get it up and running.
 
A follow up up for anyone that may have wondered. This has to be the best motherboard I have ever put my hands on. I've been running it stable at 3.2 (8x400) with 8GB of RAM for a couple of days now. Runs at a cool 28 degrees.I'm sure I could go higher, but I don't know if I care. I will definitely go Gigabyte again when I get my i7. This Q6600 is more stable at 3.2 on this board than it was on the old Intel board at the stock 2.4.
 
I've been somewhat of a Gigabyte whore the last two years. I've purchased four Gigabyte boards and have kept three of them. All of them run flawlessly. The one I didn't keep was a P35-DS3P which was basically a stripped down version of the DS3R. The only reason I didn't keep it was because it would not overclock one bit no matter what settings or BIOS. I sold it for what I bought it for as it ran just fine at stock speeds.

Otherwise I have two Intel Gigabyte boards with quads that work and overclock just fine. I also have an AMD 690G chipset AM2 board and it runs my X2 4000+@3Ghz.

All the boards have been rock solid and easy for overclocking as well as priced just right for me. As long as that trend keeps up, I'll keep sticking with Gigabyte boards.
 
A follow up up for anyone that may have wondered. This has to be the best motherboard I have ever put my hands on. I've been running it stable at 3.2 (8x400) with 8GB of RAM for a couple of days now. Runs at a cool 28 degrees.I'm sure I could go higher, but I don't know if I care. I will definitely go Gigabyte again when I get my i7. This Q6600 is more stable at 3.2 on this board than it was on the old Intel board at the stock 2.4.

Nice...glad it's working for you. I never had a problem with the Gigabyte boards other than a very early 965-DS3 1.0 board.
 
Back
Top