Q6600 @ 4.1 GHZ

Thanx osalcido, Well my PSU is definately holding me back this time. Just to keep some people happy i ran 4 Hours of Prime95. I will let the result do the talking, but it was @ 3.825 ghz, i can still run prime95 @ 4050 for couple of hours or so, but not for 4 hours. Like i said PSU is the key factor here.

30.jpg

Wow, why you are so upset ? lol. Speak for your self when you say stop braging i am not braging about any thing.

Which is why you made a whole thread for this instead of posting it, like everyone else, in the C2D/C2Q OC sticky.
:rolleyes:

"OMG! Look at me! Look at me! I got 4.1Ghz!!!"

Gratz, btw on the OC. :D

I am bringing the thread back because i change some hardware:

New Hardware:

Asus P5K Deluxe Motherboard
4GB Crucial Ballistix PC6400 DDR2 800 mhz memory @ 1080mhz

You changed some hardware huh, well if your PSU is still crappy and limiting why don't you change that out?

Then you can stop blaming your PSU for your inability to run over 4 hours of prime at 4GHz and get on with it.

You changed some hardware huh, well if your PSU is still crappy and limiting why don't you change that out?

Then you can stop blaming your PSU for your inability to run over 4 hours of prime at 4GHz and get on with it.

Dude, PSU are really expensive, specially 800Watts ones. Just for the future reference, CPUs + GPUs will comsumes less power, so 500 watts will be enough.

Umm strange and good. Good in a sense to get 4ghz, strange i see your computer resources show only 184mb of memory used.

How that is possible ?

Devious is using Windows XP32, which is considerably leaner than any version of Vista, especially Vista Ultimate 64bit which I believe you are using. That alone is a huge difference in the amount of memory that is being used. The other thing to note is that the correct way to stress test a CPU for stability using Orthos or Prime95 is to use Small FTT's. This minimizes or eliminates accessing ram (the FFT's are small enough to fit in cache I believe) and thus the CPU is going to be working at its hardest since it isn't waiting for the memory to give it data. That's my understanding of it at least, if anyone wants to chime in with a correction that'd be great. I think these two differences explain why he has very little memory usage (he also has almost nothing running I would have to imagine aside from his benchmarking software)

I noticed in your screenshot for 4 hours of Prime95 at 3.825 that your Prime showed iterations with 320K length, is that with Small FFT's? I'm not sure but I don't think it is, I could be wrong though. If that is the case though you may or may not want to re-run your Prime95 test.

I think a good stress of a whole system is better with blend, I doubt at all that it really matters much if FFT or blend is used despite the data fitting in memory, we're talking really really short wait times that in a long run of prime will make little difference in temp (it takes longer to drop 0.1C than it does to fetch data out of ram.

I also noticed on a previous rig setup that I could get prime to "last" longer running on FFT alone than with blend. Before claiming that oh the memory was failing it the memory I had was rated WELL beyond the overclock that was given it and successfully went through 8hrs+ of memtest. The memory was tested with a different CPU with a higher FSB and identical timings/voltages and worked fine leading me to conclude that small fft's do not stress a cpu as much as a blend does.

How many times did you test to verify that small FFT lasting longer than blend statement? If it was just one time and both were after several hours it can just be a fluke. Did you verify if the temps were higher in either case? Also, it's possible something else like the northbridge and not the memory was what was causing the errors in your scenario since it is involved as well. I just can't see how blend could 'stress' the cpu more than small fft's does by the definition of what the two are doing. It may be harder to be *stable* in blend as opposed to small fft's on some machines though, I'll give you that, since there are more things at work, and it's obviously a good thing to run at some point for testing.

annaconda,what is the real voltage in bios,show my please picture of your rig.
You use water cooling or vapochill?

i see,its watercooling with 3 x120 fans,swiftech
Me i have just 2 x120 fans alphacool nexxos pro 2 rev 2
me at 3,8 ghz i have 39-40 grades celsius.

wow, really nice
so this means that I can OC the
Core 2 Quad Q9450 2.67ghz 1333fsb 12 l2cache LGA775
to something like 4.2 or even more

Back