Q6600 @ 4.1 GHZ

Vista 64 just released a update not too long ago that makes it so you cannot disable forced driver signing when you startup, so he will not be able to monitor his temps using CoreTemp.

Vista 64 just released a update not too long ago that makes it so you cannot disable forced driver signing when you startup, so he will not be able to monitor his temps using CoreTemp.

It still works for me....

And yes, I get all the updates. Like I said, just F8 it before Windows boots.

32M Super Pi, Sadly Prime95 crashed after 1 hour 15 mintes @ 4.1GHZ :(. I am not going to run it again, to stressfull it is working perfectly fine in all other daily tasks and games.

32MPi@4.1.jpg

Did you run the right prime95 settings? Don't run the complete stress test where it maximizes system memory usage and turns it into the slow dreadful page file usage, just run the cpu stress test, otherwise it couldn've been your memory that raised the flag, and not necessary your cpu.

Nice overclock by the way, makes my E6550 @ 3Ghz look wimpy!:eek:

During the single core era it made sense to be 100% Prime95 stable. No other real world application loads a single core the way Prime does so if you were Prime stable you were good to go.

With a dual core processor, being 100% Prime stable for a mega hour run isn't as important and with a Quad core it becomes even less important. The reason is that there are no real world applications that will load all 4 cores simultaneously the way Prime does and create as much heat as Prime does. Software development is not keeping pace with hardware development.

New games that are multi-threaded are not loading all 4 cores anything like Prime does. Supreme Commander is a good example. X-Bit labs showed that overclocking a Quad by 50% from 2400 MHz to 3600 MHz only resulted in a 3% increase in frame rates. That's a good sign that all four cores are not being fully utilized, even in a multi-threaded game. A Quad will barely be above an idle while playing the other 99.9% of single threaded games that are presently available.

Here's a good example with my dual core E6400 when I was feeding it lots of voltage and plenty of MHz with the Intel OEM heatsink and fan:

gamingew2.png

A temp of 73C was right on the edge of randomly re-booting during a long Orthos run but when running Need for Speed at the same specs, I had a pile of temperature head room. My computer was rock solid stable for the games I play as well as anything else I threw at it.

Being Prime stable on a Quad is sort of like hooking a semi-trailer full of bricks to the back of your Vette and heading up the highest mountain as fast as you can go to see if it will over heat or not. Brick hauling is as overkill for testing a car as being 86 hours Prime stable on a Quad. An hour plus of Prime on a Quad is plenty stable enough for any real world tasks you'll presently encounter.

There is no common app that loads a quaddie up like P95/Orthos. The flip side of that is that if an overclock can survive P95, it WILL survive absolutely everything else. Load testing is about finding the worst possible situation after all.

There is no common app that loads a quaddie up like P95/Orthos. The flip side of that is that if an overclock can survive P95, it WILL survive absolutely everything else. Load testing is about finding the worst possible situation after all.

You put alot of trust into P95, I give it a hit or miss, considering the results i've seen from P95 on perfectly stable machines, even stock machines, that would fail P95, but once you update to a different soundcard driver or video driver, the problem went away? Kind of odd that it would raise a red flag in regards to a software driver?

Either way, it is a nice OC for sure. Manny and Diego look fantastic at 4.1ghz!

During the single core era it made sense to be 100% Prime95 stable. No other real world application loads a single core the way Prime does so if you were Prime stable you were good to go.

With a dual core processor, being 100% Prime stable for a mega hour run isn't as important and with a Quad core it becomes even less important. The reason is that there are no real world applications that will load all 4 cores simultaneously the way Prime does and create as much heat as Prime does. Software development is not keeping pace with hardware development.

New games that are multi-threaded are not loading all 4 cores anything like Prime does. Supreme Commander is a good example. X-Bit labs showed that overclocking a Quad by 50% from 2400 MHz to 3600 MHz only resulted in a 3% increase in frame rates. That's a good sign that all four cores are not being fully utilized, even in a multi-threaded game. A Quad will barely be above an idle while playing the other 99.9% of single threaded games that are presently available.

Here's a good example with my dual core E6400 when I was feeding it lots of voltage and plenty of MHz with the Intel OEM heatsink and fan:

gamingew2.png

A temp of 73C was right on the edge of randomly re-booting during a long Orthos run but when running Need for Speed at the same specs, I had a pile of temperature head room. My computer was rock solid stable for the games I play as well as anything else I threw at it.

Being Prime stable on a Quad is sort of like hooking a semi-trailer full of bricks to the back of your Vette and heading up the highest mountain as fast as you can go to see if it will over heat or not. Brick hauling is as overkill for testing a car as being 86 hours Prime stable on a Quad. An hour plus of Prime on a Quad is plenty stable enough for any real world tasks you'll presently encounter.
So you don't consider Folding valid?

annaconda, you are gonna get pulled over for going very way too fast...

try to keep it under 4ghz next time buddy. ;)

thanx nagle and klinkman.

To be honest i don;t consider Prime95 a real stability test also. I mean there could be any thing that went wrong in my try for 1Hour and 15 minutes, as i see my temperatures were perfectly under 50C and that was not by one temperature monitor Nvidia's Nmonitor also confirmed that.

I would never do that again with my CPU, like mavalpha said and we all know there is no way in hell that CPU will be under that much pressure in real world. Then why the hell put your CPU at risk.

Just to try Prime95 i had to raise my VCORE above 1.65 or upto 1.6875. I think that was really stupid of me to just get verified that my CPU is stable, i put my CPU at risk. Here is a kick, now i am not trying Prime95 and in real world day to day use since yesterday i dropped my Vcore back to 1.5 @ 4.1ghz is running perfectly fine. I played Games, like BioShock, C&C3, both Games for 1 hour at least. Ran Multiple Operating systems in Virtual PC, Watched HDTV broadcasting on PC @ 1080i, SuperPi32M, and it all went fine and i thought why in the hell i need to run Prim95 for 4 hours or so. Why ?

Like UncleWeb said;

" Table 3 shows absolute maximum = 1.55 volts.
Beyond 1.50 volts is considered to be outside "functional operation limits."

You are pushing the envelope annaconda. A little crazy but definitely good work! "

I give alot of credit to people who tried Prime95 for 4 hours or so, and put their CPU at risk.

You put alot of trust into P95, I give it a hit or miss, considering the results i've seen from P95 on perfectly stable machines, even stock machines, that would fail P95, but once you update to a different soundcard driver or video driver, the problem went away? Kind of odd that it would raise a red flag in regards to a software driver?

Hell, just last night, Windows shat itself and hardlocked without P95 even warning. I was running small ffts and I think my memory caused the lockup as a general Windows fault, so wrong test to see that weakness. I'll probably need to dial the mem back to 1:1 and see what happens. Half of running a diagnostic is correctly interpreting the results.

To date, I've never seen P95 fail due to software. I have seen it fail on stock machines and it has always been due to a hardware flaw (two most common: inferior PSU or inadequate cooling).

So you don't consider Folding valid?

Folding is very valid. I'd be interested to see a comparison of core temperatures between running Prime95 small FFTs on all 4 cores vs running Folding on all four cores. If your core temps are significantly lower when Folding, then running Prime for 8 or 24 hours is a little overkill.

annaconda: How about a temperature comparison between Bioshock and Prime small FFTs?

I'm just trying to say that with a Quad core processor, you can have a 100% usable, stable computer for real world apps even if you are not 100% Prime stable for an extended period of time. The extra cores give a user a lot more flexibility when overclocking to the max.

To date, I've never seen P95 fail due to software.

QFT

Running any stress test app %100 stable is important on any processor. Just because you can't think of something that takes up all cores doesn't mean there aren't programs now or in the future that will. LAME, Povray, Distributed Computing & certain games(Supreme Commander) are just a few examples of software that can take advantage of quad cores.

It's flat out wrong to say that it's not important for your quadcore to be %100 stable with P95 because you're never going to use them that much anyways. While it may work for day to day situations, when you really need it to work for you on CPU intensive apps it may come grinding to a halt. At that point you're tasked with the process of troubleshooting it when it's less convenient. Plus there is always the chance that running your hardware in an unstable state could cause damage or failure. Maybe the ram/cpu is failing because it's too hot? Keep running it that way and you're liable to have it fry on you.

I think you are asking for trouble. Doesnt matter that you are doing 1.5 @ low temp. You cpu is obviously not 100% stable. You are forcing it to run at 4.1ghz even thou your cpu is telling you (failing prime) that its NOT capable of running 4.1ghz. Your cpu wouldn't even make the Hardocp overclocking database ( 4+ hours of prime). Does that tell you something?

You can keep telling yourself that 4.1ghz is fine for your so call everyday tasks but you are only kidding yourself. There is no need to brag about having a 4.0ghz cpu. I take a 100% stable 3.5ghz over semi stable 4.1 anyday. BTW, my quad is running at 3.5@ 1.46. If i feed it enough juice, i am sure i can post some screen shot like you at 4.0ghz or something close to it. what good is that? btw 3.5 is 100% stable.. pass 3dmark loop overnight...10+ hours of prime 25.3 :D:D:D:D:D

Klinky: I'm well aware that there are multi-threaded applications and games that use 4 cores today and that there will be more in the future. At present though, there aren't any applications that load 4 cores at full load and create as much heat as Prime95 does.

If annaconda is 100% stable at 4.0+ GHz, running the applications that are important to him, then he's good to go.

Prime 25,3 loads all 4 core at 100%... but i am sure if he runs the single core version of prime 95, and stress just ONE core at 4.1ghz, it will still fail. Truth is none of his cores are good at 4.1ghz. you dont have to stress all 4 core at 100% to find that out. I dont believe this 'stable enough' thing. Either you cpu is stable or its not. Sooner or later, his cpu will let him down. I hope it doesnt give up when he is writing an important paper for school or fighting the last boss of bioshock.

Let me putting it in another way. Let's say his cpu is a honda civic. It can run at 100mph perfect (3.2-3.6ghz) but he chooses to floor it and run it at 130mph (4.1). The car is loose at that speed, but it still runs...and his roads home are smooth as butter ( his so call everyday usage). But if the civic hits rough roads or it starts to rain ( othoas, prime25.3, any program that stress the cpu HARD) the civic will fishtail and crash. What i mean is, sooner or later...he will run into rough roads and crash his civic....just pray that you are driving alone (surfing the web)...so you dont bring anyone down with you(doing anything important) :D.

Impressive results no doubt, you lucked out with a quality chip there.

However, Prime95 is indeed important, you're right on the fence in my mind, over an hour you're doing pretty well.

I would suggest running OCCT for 30 minutes and seeing what results you get, I'd almost be willing to bet it fails within two or three minutes.

The reason these programs are important are NOT for day to day application use, but instead for more or less special cases.

I have been overclocking now for going on ten years, dozens of different computers and CPU's, you name it, I've overclocked it.

I have found one thing holds true, if an overclock is not able to pass certain stress tests, then you will find issues as time goes by.

Now then that doesn't mean blue screens or lock ups, instead, the problem you'll find is when you go to download a 500mb file off the internet... sure it looks good and downloads as expected, however, when you go to extract if, via Zip or Rar, or even Exe, you'll find the data is corrupt.

It's stupid little things like that, they're not everyday annoyances, but instead, little data corruption issues here and there, save a file, later go to retrieve it and it's all messed up.

Things like that.

You'll see.

Like I said, run OCCT, if it can handle 30 minutes, I'm comfortable with it for 24/7.

:cool:

Just to try Prime95 i had to raise my VCORE above 1.65 or upto 1.6875. I think that was really stupid of me to just get verified that my CPU is stable, i put my CPU at risk. Here is a kick, now i am not trying Prime95 and in real world day to day use since yesterday i dropped my Vcore back to 1.5 @ 4.1ghz is running perfectly fine. I played Games, like BioShock, C&C3, both Games for 1 hour at least. Ran Multiple Operating systems in Virtual PC, Watched HDTV broadcasting on PC @ 1080i, SuperPi32M, and it all went fine and i thought why in the hell i need to run Prim95 for 4 hours or so. Why ?

Maybe because all those programs use like 1 core :D You'll always be living in doubt, maybe this next program will crap my pc. You can never know when your pc is going to reboot or crash. For me, under 12 hours orthos isn't stable. And even if it manages the 12 hours, I still might drop down my oc just a little to be 100% sure. Running crazy ass oc's 24/7 isn't worth it at all. You lose stability and gain, well, practically nothing. Or are you telling me you'll actually see some difference between 4.1 GHz and, say, 3.5, which will run ALOT cooler and with alot less voltage. Much healthier for the cpu itself, and more practical.

Maybe because all those programs use like 1 core :D You'll always be living in doubt, maybe this next program will crap my pc. You can never know when your pc is going to reboot or crash. For me, under 12 hours orthos isn't stable. And even if it manages the 12 hours, I still might drop down my oc just a little to be 100% sure. Running crazy ass oc's 24/7 isn't worth it at all. You lose stability and gain, well, practically nothing. Or are you telling me you'll actually see some difference between 4.1 GHz and, say, 3.5, which will run ALOT cooler and with alot less voltage. Much healthier for the cpu itself, and more practical.

Back in the summer of '02, I overclocked my CPU an additional 100mhz by slapping a 45 watt peltier on it, with that simple increase of 100mhz I increased my post count by almost 20%.

Well worth it I would say. :D

I am getting my temperature number from Everest.

I brought my CPU down to 4GHZ now, and i listened to UNCLEWEB also, and running CPU not more than 1.5V. Which i think is safe for my CPU now.

Tonight i am going to run Prime95 @ Stock to see if it is even stable. Looks like some issues with the Audio drivers, and might be with ATI's Video driver, because last night computer was running fine then i turned my screen off, and after few minutes when i turned it back on right after a second the BLUE dead screen appears and it says " dumping physical memory " and it counted to 100 and computer restarted.

So after that i did not turned off the screen until i completely shutdown, and it worked fine. :confused:

Just for the record i don;t want to showoff here, people are getting wrong image. All i want to see is how things go with the Overclock and not to mention "Experience i will gain from it". After this weekend i am going to run it passive no fan in the system at all, just the exhaust fan on low speed.

A BSoD from desktop isn't going to be because of video drivers that often. Even if you saw an error from a vid-related dll, I'd suspect your memory before I'd suspect the drivers, simply because of how far out of spec you are running. Have you stressed the memory yet? Try running Memtest86, test #5 looping for an hour. You'd need an overnight test to be sure of complete stability, but an hour will let you know if there is a glaring problem.

Also, it appears you are running your DDR2 at 2.3 volts. While this is technically probably alright, you REALLY need additional cooling at that high a voltage. Just one small fan pushing air the length of the sticks is more than adequate.

One other thing, are you still running all of this off that 500W Ultra PSU? You are EXTREMELY close to that PSUs rated ability with your rig under load. I checked jonnyguru's review and I think you might have an issue with that PSU on the medium-long. If possible, you might want to look at picking up a new PSU next time a good deal rolls around. Antec Quattro 850s keep popping up at Compusa for $130.

Yes my second thought was PSU, because i am running a lot of thing now on 500watts PSU. It served me well for years and it is still an excellent PSU, but now it is at its limit that could be a problem.

The things i am running on 500Watts PSU are:

Q6600 @ 4.1
XFX 680i Sli motherboard
X1900XT 512MB video card.
4GB Memory @ 1000mhz
2 x 320gb SATAII hard drives RAID0
DVD Writer
MCP 655 PUMP
Thermaltake 's Pump 400l
12" Cathode tube
9 x 120mm fans.
2 x 80mm fans (for memory).
1 x 90mm fan (for hard drives)
Fan controller.
ATI HDTV 650 Pro TV Tunner.

If I were you, I would invest in a better psu like a corsair 620w or something higher, honestly thats the only thing lacking on your rig. Overall I think you should be fine around the 4ghz range which is awsome.

According to my conclusion. I think my PSU is the week point here, i have Kill-A-Watt power meter. I am going to check tonight how much power i am using from the wall and i will report back.

As i stated before my temperatures are 50C under load (prime95) then suddenly it crashes, does not make sense. Also i notices in the last few days, since i get this CPU @ 4.1, my PSU 's fan is spinning at full speed, and throwing really HOT air from the back.

Oh GOD i loved this PSU. It serverd me good for all those years, i love Ultra Products.

Also i notices in the last few days, since i get this CPU @ 4.1, my PSU 's fan is spinning at full speed, and throwing really HOT air from the back.

Your CPU alone is likely drawing near 200 watts under load. The other components in your rig will account for another 150-250 watts under load. You are looking at a best case 80% load on your PSU when the system is stressed and you might be closer to 95%.

As a personal preference, I like lots of headroom from my power supply. At load, my systems max out around 50% of rated capacity. For instance, my current rig draws somewhere around 450 watts at load and I have an 850 watt Quattro handling it. The PSU exhaust doesn't even seem to warm up.

Wow, PC are using 500 Watts means $400 / per for Electric usage at least. These companies need to come up with lowe Power CPU like 1 W cpu from VIA.

Congrats highest OC I know of with the Quad!

Thanx man, i really appreciate that. I see TurtleTrax got it stable @ 4Ghz with Prime95 for more than 4hrs.

That is awesome man, how you did not, wanna share some info of your setting. How did you manage 4 hrs of Prime95 ?

Wow, PC are using 500 Watts means $400 / per for Electric usage at least. These companies need to come up with lowe Power CPU like 1 W cpu from VIA.

Per year? No, much less really. If you ran a 500 watt PSU at 100% load and 75% efficiency 24/7, you'd spend about $500 a year. However, no home user is going to be running a machine like that. Between the time the computer spends turned off and tasks that require very little power (internet browsing), I'd suspect the average hourly draw for a computer is well under 100 watts. Probably more like under 50 watts for the majority of home PCs.

Back