PSU's to Avoid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of these PSU's are dangerous to your system, some are just sub-standard,
however NONE can be recommended, for high performance or over-clocked systems.

Achieve
Aerocool
Allied
Apex
Arrow,
Aspire > Dangerous! They don't even pretend to meet the ATX/AMD/Intel specs!
Austin
Codegen
Coolmax
Demon
Deer
Duro
Dynapower
Eagle
EagleTech
Foxconn
Foxlink
Hercules
InWin (except FSP models)
JustPC
Key Mouse
Kingwin
L&C
Logic
Linkworld
Macron Power
MGE
Mustang
Okia
Power-Man (except FSP models)
Powmax
Power-Up
Powerstar
QMax
Qtec
q-tec
Raidmax (except Topower/Tagan models, not sold with cases)
Real PC Power
Rhycon
Robanton
Rosewill
Skyhawk
Thermaltake (SIRTEC and non-Toughpower Units)
TMP-ANS
Tsunami
Turbo
Turbolink
Ultra (X-Connect only)
US-Can
Viomax

Some of these PSU's are dangerous to your system, some are just sub-standard,
however NONE can be recommended, for high performance or over-clocked systems.
I would appericate some feed-back. What do you think?

Rosewill will remain on the list of PSUs to avoid - if only because you will never know which manufacturer made a particular model of Rosewill PSU without opening the box. The good ones are just a hair lower in overall quality than the similarly priced FSP's, while the bad ones are craptacular.

_Korruption_ said:
45A on the +5V? Okay.

david, I think you mean Thermaltake ;)

I thought thermaltakes made good PSU

and it is the 12V that is good the +5V isn't the best but for the price it is an excellent PSU don't knock rosewill.

Ive actually got a codegen 350w unit thats worked for several years now, the rails are quite solid too. Im not saying that its a brand to trust, just thought I would add that :) Course this is on a spare box that just folds, I wouldnt use it for my main system thats for sure haha.

all the InWin powersupplies i have seen have been rebranded Fortron powersupplies which are fine... so you might want to add that if the model number starts with FSP its probably a fortron

FLECOM said:
all the InWin powersupplies i have seen have been rebranded Fortron powersupplies which are fine... so you might want to add that if the model number starts with FSP its probably a fortron

They are... They are Power-Man, which are rebranded FSP and always have FSP part numbers.... yet FSP and Power-Man are on the list.

That immediately makes the list bunk IMHO.

Also, Raidmax is on there. Raidmax power supplies that come in Raidmax cases are in fact crap.... but retail box Raidmax power supplies are Topower P5's right down to the word "Tagan" on the PCI-e cables.

But then again, if you make an exception for Raidmax... you'd have to make an exception for Thermaltake (oh wait... he did!) :p

rcf1987 said:
I thought thermaltakes made good PSU

and it is the 12V that is good the +5V isn't the best but for the price it is an excellent PSU don't knock rosewill.
Oh, we knock it alright. You're just not yet educated in the PSU world.

Uggh! You put Ultra on the list. You're killing me.... ;)

Seriously. Maybe put.. "Ultra's made by Youngyear" or something. Because the X2's are good too and they're made by Wintech. Just like the X-Finitys were and are.

Oklahoma Wolf said:
Actually, according to a review at Xbit, Inwin (or Powerman) is starting to make their own now :)

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/other/display/inwin-psu.html

Hmm... Oleg says that they've been doing their own power supplies "for a few years" but I just bought an InWin case a couple weeks ago and it had an FSP PSU in it.

You're going to kill yourself updating such a list. Let's say the new Thermaltakes made by CWT and HEC pan out. Are you going to put "Thermaltake (except for those models made by CWT, HEC or the one W0057 made by Sirtec." or are you going to put "Thermaltakes made by Sirtec except for the W0057." ;)

I just think it's a bad idea.

Quoted material from deleted post removed. -Spectre

I just do not want any of my [H] brothers to end up in the same situation I have ended up in. If you read the whole thread, you will see that when I did have a receipt for them they closed my ticket. I do not want to threadjack, so anyone who wants to read the whole thread can go to the link and those who don't or who have good responses with antec are free not to read it.

Rob

jonnyGURU said:
Uggh! You put Ultra on the list. You're killing me.... ;)

Seriously. Maybe put.. "Ultra's made by Youngyear" or something. Because the X2's are good too and they're made by Wintech. Just like the X-Finitys were and are.
Updated "Ultra (except X2 & X-Finity)".

This list was suggested & 99% created by others & I agree it is a good idea,
but keeping it fully up to date will of course be impossible,
just as it is impossible to keep the PSU Guides fully up to date, but they are still useful.

More input please.

Thanks,
Dave ;)

A lot of these power supplies aren't bad, you just shouldn't expect to run them at a full load. I've been running the Raidmax 420w that came with my Scorpio 686 for 2 years. Of course, the calculated power draw of my system using one of those calculators is only about 380w. Though, I decided to upgrade to an Antec case and psu.

I'm new to the forums so I'm sure I'm missing a thread here somewhere, but what is wrong with Thermaltake PSU's?

so to get this straight are the fsp blue storms good reliable psu's?, not that involved in psu world

Here's a few names I don't see up there yet, that should be (about half of them are Deer relabelers): US-Can, Arrow, Tsunami, Okia, QMax, Hercules, Q-Tec, Real PC Power, Macron Power, Key Mouse

-=JacKaL=- said:
so to get this straight are the fsp blue storms good reliable psu's?, not that involved in psu world

Very much so :)

Updated to reflect [H]ard wisdom.

Please remember this is titled "PSU's to Avoid for High Performance or OC'ed Systems"

This is not a universal avoid under any circumatances list,
but a list of PSU's that just doesn't come up to our [H]ard standards.

Your continued input is requested.

Thank's
Dave ;)

BBowermaster said:
A lot of these power supplies aren't bad, you just shouldn't expect to run them at a full load.

So if the PSU doesn't do what it says it does that isn't bad?

Spectre said:
So if the PSU doesn't do what it says it does that isn't bad?
That's like taking a new car on a test drive & having the salesman tell you,
that although there is an "R" on the transmission housing, there is no reverse gear. :rolleyes:

Oklahoma Wolf said:
Here's a few names I don't see up there yet, that should be (about half of them are Deer relabelers): US-Can, Arrow, Tsunami, Okia, QMax, Hercules, Q-Tec, Real PC Power, Macron Power, Key Mouse
Of those, the worst may be Q-Tec, while the best may be the Macron or Key Mouse (Soyo), although that's not saying much.

Oklahoma Wolf said:
Just found a thread over at Badcaps.net with a few interesting pics of an expired Deer unit: http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=862

Post #6 - I've never seen one fail that catastrophically before :eek:

Thanks to this forum, I've also uncovered another two Deer aliases - TMP-ANS and Skyhawk.

http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1026
http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=900

Hmmm...Skyhawk was on my original list....not sure what happened. I will add them to David's since he is out.

I've got a Skyhawk that isn't a Deer. I need to look at it next time I have my case open, but it's served me well for months. It's in my main system, which draws ~350W. I believe the power supply is listed as 480W.

CEpeep said:
I've got a Skyhawk that isn't a Deer. I need to look at it next time I have my case open, but it's served me well for months. It's in my main system, which draws ~350W. I believe the power supply is listed as 480W.

Well post the UL number if you can.

TESLA said:
I do not know which models, but some Demon PSUs can hold their own.

Demon = Pomax. Your statement is incorrect.

so like where is the thread for PSU to want?

performance wise as well as Pricing//////////////

pairdice said:
so like where is the thread for PSU to want?

performance wise as well as Pricing//////////////

The sticky at the top of this forum.

I believe a list of PSU brands that _aren't_ shoddy would be more efficient as you'd only have 6 or 7 entries. But that's probably been done. Heh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back