PSU Question

AliceCooper

[H]ard|Gawd
So I have been researching with PSU calc's and such, but I would like some opinions as well before I dump more money into my system, I am now kind of regretting not getting the 850. Anyways, I have the SeaSonic M2ii 750watt bronze PSU. This is what I am wanting to power off of it.

Intel 2500k 4.7ghz (1.45v core)
2 x 4GB DDR3 1600mhz
2 x GTX 760
60GB SSD
750GB 7200rpm
80GB 7200rpm
2 x DVD/CD combo burners
6 USB devices
5 x 120mm fans

I am also hoping to OC the cards a tad. I used to run a 6870 xfire setup on this PSU, but I know they use less power than two 760s. Thanks for any input!

the only parts will draw a lot of power are GTX 760s, they will be over 300W, that leaves about 400W for other components, there is no way those will pull that much power from the PSU, you will be definitely okay using your 750W PSU.

If you want to know the actual power draw, nothing beats a $20 Kill-A-Watt. The actual power draw will be about 80% of the Kill-A-Watt reading. Blast away with power hogging programs like Prime95 and Furmark to see what you need.

If you want to know the actual power draw, nothing beats a $20 Kill-A-Watt. The actual power draw will be about 80% of the Kill-A-Watt reading. Blast away with power hogging programs like Prime95 and Furmark to see what you need.

Except that tons of things beat a $20 K-A-W, because the K-A-W is only accurate with resistive loads. It's not worth buying for this usage, even at $20. If you want a power meter, you don't have to spend all that much more to get a decent UPS with one, or a managed PDU like a Baytech RPC-4 (note: I had a link a few minutes ago here, but I realized that while I searched for the RPC-4, what I linked was just an incorrect result from Ebay's search - not all of their PDUs have this capability - see here) which has a current meter (just multiply that by your line voltage to get power). I actually have one of the Baytechs, and you can get them for cheaper than that auction sometimes. (The auction isn't mine and I paid $10-20 less than that one when I bought mine.)

But either way, a power/current meter isn't necessary here at all.

Also... why SLI the x60 series cards? I still can't understand why people think that's a good idea. Considering that's still their latest line of cards, clearly they haven't been bought over a long timespan, so why didn't you just buy one good card instead? If they were a generation or two ahead and you bought the second card used for cheap, that's one thing, but why buy 2 new mid-range cards for that purpose?

Last edited:
Ok great and I do have a KAW, got it as a stocking stuffer for fun. Also I went with SLI because I got my first 760 as a gift and recently sold some junk so I thought I would grab another for when I grab a 1440p monitor and they just about match the performance of a Titan at 1440p, sometimes winning sometimes losing so why not. Glad my 750w will be enough to power my setup :D.

Ok great and I do have a KAW, got it as a stocking stuffer for fun. Also I went with SLI because I got my first 760 as a gift and recently sold some junk so I thought I would grab another for when I grab a 1440p monitor and they just about match the performance of a Titan at 1440p, sometimes winning sometimes losing so why not. Glad my 750w will be enough to power my setup :D.

No offense, but don't upgrade things in preparation for upgrading other things. Don't buy a part until you need it. It is a poor use of money.

If you want 1440p at some point, then save your money now and upgrade both GPU and monitor at once. That way, you'd likely be able to buy a newer GPU or pay less for the GPU you want. In the meantime you've got money in the bank making a bit of interest (these days very little, but better than nothing). No benefits to upgrading the GPU first (unless you were already getting slowdowns).

No offense, but don't upgrade things in preparation for upgrading other things. Don't buy a part until you need it. It is a poor use of money.

If you want 1440p at some point, then save your money now and upgrade both GPU and monitor at once. That way, you'd likely be able to buy a newer GPU or pay less for the GPU you want. In the meantime you've got money in the bank making a bit of interest (these days very little, but better than nothing). No benefits to upgrading the GPU first (unless you were already getting slowdowns).

Since that upgrade is going to be very soon I didn't see the harm in upgrading now and since my specific brand and model seems to be going out of stock every where I wanted to pick it up now. And 2 months down the road I'm not going to be buying a newer GPU since there won't be anything newer out there yet, plus I got a free game out of the deal.

Now if I was going to get 1440p like next year then I would have done exactly what you said and waited to pickup another card used or went with the next gen solution. And the amount of interest I would have made in the 2 months waiting for the card would have netted me less than a penny. I understand where you are coming from, but my situation is different, anyways thanks for the advice ;).

Back