PSU or GPU issue.

vegeta535

[H]F Junkie
So tonight my system black screen while mining. I rebooted and everything worked fine when idle or doing web browsing. After a few minutes running a game or mining it would black screen. When I start up Tomb raided it works til gets to the option screen before black screening. When I start up older game like HL2 it runs without issues. I have not seen any artifacts. It started after a windows update but seems like it's a coincidence. I tried different driver and even a clean install of windows 10. I am going to say it is the gpu but I will dig out my spare PSU tomorrow to do more troubleshooting. It powered this system with no issues. CPU and GPU are under custom loop. Temps are fine.

5950x
Gigabyte x570 Master
EVGA 3080 FTW 3
Seasonic FOCUS PX-850, 850W 80+ Platinum

When it doesn't reboots sound stops.
I’ve heard of this happening with a 6900xt and it turned out that it was because there were 2 pci power cables being used on the three 8 pin power ports on the graphics card. (The user used both of the plugs on one single cable to connect to two 8 pin ports then used another cable for the third 8 pin) When the user switched to using 3 power cables, 1 for each 8 pin, the black screens and restarts went away. Try that and see if that helps

I’ve heard of this happening with a 6900xt and it turned out that it was because there were 2 pci power cables being used on the three 8 pin power ports on the graphics card. (The user used both of the plugs on one single cable to connect to two 8 pin ports then used another cable for the third 8 pin) When the user switched to using 3 power cables, 1 for each 8 pin, the black screens and restarts went away. Try that and see if that helps
I am using 3 separate power cable not using a.ny pigtails. This just started last night. System been rock solid since January.

Some PSU's have overaggressive over current protection and shut off the computer when running with 3080's and 3090's. I had a problem like this with my 3090. I RMA'd the PSU and my new one is fine.

What were your memory temps while mining?

Some PSU's have overaggressive over current protection and shut off the computer when running with 3080's and 3090's. I had a problem like this with my 3090. I RMA'd the PSU and my new one is fine.

What were your memory temps while mining?
Memory were in the 50s. GPU was in low 40s. None of the power phases past 60 per Evga Precision. It is making me think it is the PSU since it only happens under a high load. I need to do more trouble shoot and testing today after work. I got a Seasonic focus gold 750 watt that I will test with later.

Memory were in the 50s. GPU was in low 40s. None of the power phases past 60 per Evga Precision. It is making me think it is the PSU since it only happens under a high load. I need to do more trouble shoot and testing today after work. I got a Seasonic focus gold 750 watt that I will test with later.

What was the memory spot temperature? If your memory was in the 50's, then your hashrate must have been terrible. Even very well cooled GDDR6X is in the 80s and 90s with a 3080. Most well designed AIB cards will be right around 100C without a thermal pad mod at a decent hash rate (95MH+ on a 3080).

I guess my point is just wondering if poor memory cooling killed the card.

What was the memory spot temperature? If your memory was in the 50's, then your hashrate must have been terrible. Even very well cooled GDDR6X is in the 80s and 90s with a 3080. Most well designed AIB cards will be right around 100C without a thermal pad mod at a decent hash rate (95MH+ on a 3080).

Yeah I'm thinking the gpu might be the problem, temps should not be that low even @ 60% power.

VRAM T was in the low 90s. I was getting 100mh/s. The 50c memory temp was what evga precision was giving me on icx. I really hope it isn't the gpu. I will likely get a LHR model if I have to RMA it.

Last edited:
Definitely swap the psu out and see, although a 750 watt probably isn’t enough for a 3080 ftw given it has 3 8 pin connectors for 450w + pci-e 75w = 525w just for your graphics card

Definitely swap the psu out and see, although a 750 watt probably isn’t enough for a 3080 ftw given it has 3 8 pin connectors for 450w + pci-e 75w = 525w just for your graphics card
Yea it was cutting it close. It is why I bumped it up to the 850. It ran without issue for a couple months before the new PSU.

Try rolling back the drivers. Been getting a lot of problems with the latest, even watching videos on my APU.

Back