PS4 + SSD

stooleywood

Limp Gawd
Has there been any release on the Sata interface of the PS4? And will it take to SSD's better than the PS3?

and id wager it would make no difference just like it didnt on the ps3.

I think it would be a waste. The game sizes are going to be large, so you will need a decent size one which means it'll be expensive. It's console, I doubt you will see much in improvement.

That was because at the time the SATA common at the time didn't have the speed, but this time common SATA does have, so there should be a greater difference.

Though drive speed isn't the entirety of load speed. :D

I think it would be a waste. The game sizes are going to be large, so you will need a decent size one which means it'll be expensive. It's console, I doubt you will see much in improvement.

Isn't there a new 1TB SSD that's not too expensive? $600? I bet it'll be about $350 - $400 by the time the PS4 launches.

I think it will work great. Sata 3 speeds or not an SSD has amazing access time and random IO performance. Something a spinner, especially a 2.5" notebook drive does not.

The PS4 comes with a 500GB drive so right now a decent Samsung 840 Non-Pro 500GB (TLC) is like Sub $350. In a year it could be sub $250. You can also go the hybrid drive route for larger sizes and cheaper prices.

As for game size I don't see it changing significantly. Games should still be around 10-25 GB. Either way you still have the same size as stock.

I'll probably put an old M4 256GB in mine. I doubt I will need 500GB for awhile as the first year a console releases their aren't going to be that many great games. Even then its not like I'm going to get every game or need to have all of them installed at once. Year 2 or 3 when SSD's are real cheap I'll upgrade.

Last edited:
Lets spend as much as the console on a hard drive for what gain? When you could buy 6 games or put towards a better TV.

Welcome to [H].

CheapAssGamer is that way --->

It's not like gaming is cheap. $400 console, ~$60 games, ~$50 controllers, $50/year PS+, ~$100 PS Eye, $150 fight sticks, and $100-300 surround sound headsets.

Sony already promised for an "instant gaming" experience without much waiting involved, I say we first see how well they can do that before installing SSDs.

Sony already promised for an "instant gaming" experience without much waiting involved, I say we first see how well they can do that before installing SSDs.

Link to where they said that about disc based games (not Gaikai streaming)?

Welcome to [H].

It's not like gaming is cheap. $400 console, ~$60 games, ~$50 controllers, $50/year PS+, ~$100 PS Eye, $150 fight sticks, and $100-300 surround sound headsets.

This.

There's a reason I refuse to have children, so I can spend my money on myself. I don't do platter drives except for mass server storage.

Oh and uncharted3 is 40gb off psn if anyone is curious about game sizes lately.

im curious if a Hybrid drive will see a benefit in a PS4, not really for game loading and stuff but atleast for the GUI and what ever OS the system has. you know to make things maybe feel more snappy. 1TB + 8GB hybrid drive isnt too bad of a price and would be a nice storage upgrade from the 500GB drive it comes with assuming the PS4 OS can make use of the hybrid technology efficiently.

Welcome to [H].

Gaming is actually very cheap compared to quite a few other hobbies. Even new computer expenses every 1-2 years really isn't much.

I think a hybrid SSD/HDD (Seagate) would probably be a better alternative than simply a SSD. You still get a good storage amount but will get a slight boost to commonly used applications.

Also keep in mind that with 8GB of memory, you may not need an SSD. If that memory acts as a cache or buffer for the HDD then the performance will be good even with a SDD.

Seems like a viable alternative to me as 250GB SSD can now be found below $200.

Skyrim on ps3 launch drive vs Skyrim on SSD will easily show you the benefits of having one.
I was just curious if I would be able to put one of the 30 Intel 160GB G2's I have lying around to use.

Wasn't there someone from Sony answering tweets about the PS4? I wish I had a twitter account so I could ask him.

Skyrim on ps3 launch drive vs Skyrim on SSD will easily show you the benefits of having one.
I was just curious if I would be able to put one of the 30 Intel 160GB G2's I have lying around to use.

Wasn't there someone from Sony answering tweets about the PS4? I wish I had a twitter account so I could ask him.

I would gladly take one off your hands :)

I'm sure that it would speed up loading games off the hd. But I would rather have a 1tb hd than a fast 1/4 size ssd for more than 3 times the price. But that's just me, I'm broke.

Get this drive!

Quote:
Endurance Rating (Lifetime Writes) - 10 drive writes per day for 5 years

That is writing the entire drive 10 times each day for 5 years - no problems ever on your console!

If average game sizes balloon a bit in the next generation -- a hybird drive won't really speed up anything in the grand scheme of things. It only caches the most commonly used data -- think the PS4 OS, and maybe a small percentage of your most frequently played game.

If SSD's really do help a ton on the PS4 -- cool by the time PS4 is out and people start wanting to tinker with them SSD prices will have fallen even more. 500GB SSD won't be terribly expensive in a years time.

I would gladly take one off your hands :)

I'm sure that it would speed up loading games off the hd. But I would rather have a 1tb hd than a fast 1/4 size ssd for more than 3 times the price. But that's just me, I'm broke.

http://i.imgur.com/B6G7vFG.jpg

Take your pick.

Should I even put an ssd in it, I doubt space will be a problem as I only have like two games for my PS3 now as it is.

GTA4 Episodes of Liberty City and RDR, I want to get Last of Us soon though.

If average game sizes balloon a bit in the next generation -- a hybird drive won't really speed up anything in the grand scheme of things. It only caches the most commonly used data -- think the PS4 OS, and maybe a small percentage of your most frequently played game.

If SSD's really do help a ton on the PS4 -- cool by the time PS4 is out and people start wanting to tinker with them SSD prices will have fallen even more. 500GB SSD won't be terribly expensive in a years time.

A good point. Taking a PS3 game as an example, the digital download version of Uncharted 3 takes up 87GB when finally installed.

I don't expect all games to be anywhere near that, but it does give me pause.

I run a SSD in my main PC and love the speed, but, I think I'll use the stock PS4 drive for a while and see what the prices do and whether any interesting deals pop up.

Though, the hybrid drive idea is tempting. I wonder if there could be any performance drawbacks to a hybrid when dealing with exceedingly large games that require a lot of transitioning between the cache and main drive? I may have to look up some benchmarks and reviews later on.

Are you kidding? I put one in my PS3 and the difference between the stock drive was absolutely night and day. Doesn't make a huge difference in boot up times, but installing games and updates is waaaay faster. If you have PS+ or a lot of games downloaded from psn I'd say it's worth it if you have an extra SSD to put in there.

A good point. Taking a PS3 game as an example, the digital download version of Uncharted 3 takes up 87GB when finally installed.

I thought that included the download + installation. Then after installation is over the downloaded/installer files are deleted leaving around 40gb for the installed game?

Last of Us has a new system where it download and installs so it doesn't take up a crazy amount of space. You can also play it after a certain amount is downloaded.

Back