PS3 vs Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
consolechartyr2yb63272359.jpg

Kind of an age old question here, and a tricky one to boot.

The PS3 is without a doubt the most bang for the buck console that's probably ever been made. That being said its still not a PC.

Both have their + and their -.

If a game is developed for console and then ported to PC there's a pretty substantial chance that it will be plagued with issues and probably suck on PC. The inverse is true as well. If the game was developed for pc, then ported to a console, the controls are usually clunky or lacking.

Even still, some titles just aren't available on every platform. So if you want to play some games, you really have no choice as to which you buy. If you want Brutal Legend, you need a console. If you want Uncharted, you want a PS3. If you want Halo, you need an Xbox 360. If you want Dawn of War, you need a PC.

So, I would say "ask yourself what you want." If you guys want to play multiplayer shooters, roleplaying games, AND rts games (starcraft) - he needs a PC.

In my house, we have 2x PC for gaming, a Wii, and a PS3. We spend more time on the PCs than the consoles, but we still play Sports Resort on the wii (archery is fun) and Rock Band on the PS3.

Which is the best for gaming, PS3 or PC? Why and proof?

my computer hardware:
i7 920 4ghz
asus p6tse
sapphire 5870 1 gb
corsair 1600mhz 6 gb 3 stick

I am trying to convince my father for pc, please proof.

lets see

SNES
Gamecube
Wii
PS3
PS2
PS1

and a PC so I guess I'm good :D

Comparing the hardware is pointless. A PC is better, but you pay more for it. I won't say all multiplatform games are better on the PC, but it is rare that the PC version is worse if you have the hardware for it, I actually can't think of any. If you are wondering about the controllers and TV, which some people do, keep in mind you can easily attach those to a PC as well.

The thing to consider though is what you want to play and what you want to do with it. For instance if you primarily want to play fighting games, you probably want a console due to much greater selection of titles. If you want to say play COD with your friends who primarily own consoles, again you need a console. And there are many other scenarios where a console will be more desirable.

So from a technical perspective, not factoring in cost, a PC is better, and can mimic a console hardware wise. But depending on your usage, a console may be better. So you are better off deciding what you want to play and how you want to play it first.

The really nice thing about a PC for gaming is that you get all the added benifit of having a nice system for everything else.

Hands down for any price now the best gaming is on a PC, I dont even know where to begin, better FPS, better control everything. And in the long run its cheaper especially if you build yourself. But to me it is just really nice to have a faster PC. The reason I say this is most people who buy consoles go buy the cheapest POS computer they can buy for doing everything else like office, web surfing and so on. Then end up with something that is just really slow. But if you tack that extra $300 you would have spent on the console into upgrading the PC you really change the game the PC can go from really low end to a really solid middle end system. And at any price point that remains true. You dont need 2000 for a gaming rig, I have never spend near that in my life.

I will post some quotes from the PS3 section of the BF3 forums..

"i put it simple

pc was never made for gaming, youll buy 2000 $ desktop, for gaming you get 1000$

console was made for gaming, 500 $ console, you get 800$ of gaming power

thats because :

1) they are not made for gaming
2) they are not overclocked, you can do that, but youll do it really badly and make it even worst
3) console are overclocked by 20 years experienced engineer
4) console software is designed by the guys above only 4 gaming
5) there is 2 hardcore console MICROSOFT and SONY, those have R&D capabilities and COMPETITION between the 2 make console a product without comparision
6) windows or other operating system allow gaming but also other 1000 things

7) take an example of the new 3D awesome graphic card, or those card that enable you to use 3 display. many people buy those just because are the most awesome but do not use triple screen sorrownd or 3d display
that way you ll use like 50% of the power

console are designed by the best IT in the world and are overclocked to give with few hardware the best, witout burning them, way better then kids of 16 overclock they re desktop

we are speaking of a bussiness with billions of dollars and users"

I rest my case

I think all that gibberish he was trying to say you are able to program for the hardware on consoles, allowing graphics wise you to squeeze out more performance from comparable hardware. I THINK.

Also, who knew IT guys designed consoles?

I think all that gibberish he was trying to say you are able to program for the hardware on consoles, allowing graphics wise you to squeeze out more performance from comparable hardware. I THINK.

Also, who knew IT guys designed consoles?

Sony should have followed MS's in requiring Network+ and Security+ when working on the PS3.

I love my PS3. I love watching blue rays on it and watching my nephews play Little Big Planet on it while I play whatever I want on my PC, while having a web browser open and music player running on another monitor. Syncing my phone or iPod, editing family videos or pictures. Easily using the web for stuff I need for work, play or hobbies. Answering my nephews questions or showing them pictures of animals or places we can't travel to, easily without a shitty web browser that won't load half the pages we are interested in. I love my PS3, it's a very cool third piece of personal electronics; right behind my computer and phone.

Also, that flow chart is pure awesome.

lets see

SNES
Gamecube
Wii
PS3
PS2
PS1

and a PC so I guess I'm good :D

wtf, you have all those and call yourself a gamer? no where in that list do i see a dreamcast, sir. for shame! :p

(opinion) sega dreamcast = most epiK (not to be mistaken for the overly used epic) gaming console of all time/ most tragic failure in gaming history.

That's the dumbest shit I've ever heard.

Couldn't agree more. Pretty sure that OP was coming down from his meth high.

PC gaming is superior to everything else in reality. Console gaming is the most convenient without question but being convenient doesn't mean its a better experience.

Whenever I think of console gaming I think of my youth and that's why I play them still , to relive those moments I so enjoyed. PC gaming on the other hand I enjoy vastly more as an adult hobby because I feel its the more adult perspective of gaming. Despite the trolls, PC gamers are more mature overall and I enjoy the games that are only released on the PC platform and find many of them to be innovative and they end up heavily influencing console gaming down the line.

PC can evolve...ps3 is for a couple of years.. Pc is more accurate play. Ps3 can be more for fun than actual gaming

wtf, you have all those and call yourself a gamer? no where in that list do i see a dreamcast, sir. for shame! :p

(opinion) sega dreamcast = most epiK (not to be mistaken for the overly used epic) gaming console of all time/ most tragic failure in gaming history.

Sorry I really only got those consoles for first party wii games and the FF series :)

wtf dude?

It's a multipurpose system. It can do whatever. Costs more? Sure...but it can do gaming.

So what if it's not OCed? You don't NEED to OC to game. I OCed and did fine. You can BUY OCed PCs too.

I know engineers with less experience than that working on hardware. Moreover, overclocked? The fuck? Consoles aren't OCed. You don't know what OCing means. The CPU and GPU are designed for a clock speed and voltage.

Uhhh....no. My 360 does DVDs, streaming netflix, media center...ESPN...chat. MS is going for the home entertainment thing. 3 screens in the cloud and all.

So does the XBox and PS3 OS. Weeee.

3 screens and turn down graphics, or one screen with awesome graphics...moreover, THREE SCREENS COST TOO MUCH FOR MANY.

This is an insult to hardware and software engineers. IT != engineer. IT is someone setting up servers and whatnot. Important people, sure...but they're not designing consoles.

Christ dude, wth is this.

You do know I didn't write that right? Hence the "I will post some quotes from the PS3 section of the BF3 forums.." Maybe the pc in sig was another clue as well.

You do know I didn't write that right? Hence the "I will post some quotes from the PS3 section of the BF3 forums.." Maybe the pc in sig was another clue as well.

Awesome how people are taking the time to respond though

One is not better then the other they cater to different crowds.

PS3 is better for fighting games, sports games and platformers (many of which are just not availalbe on the PC). The PS3 is also better if you want to play games from your couch.

The PC has better graphics, a better control scheme for FPSs, MMOs and RTSs. The PC also has mods for existing games and better backwards compatibility.

You can't prove that one is better then other as it is personal opinion. I prefer the PC, but a PS3 has it's own place as well.

PS3 is better for fighting games, sports games and platformers (many of which are just not availalbe on the PC). The PS3 is also better if you want to play games from your couch.

what if you buy a wireless gamepad for the PC and then connect the PC to your living room TV? :p

Although, yes, when it comes to exclusives, you have no choice but a console.

I can't believe I missed this thread!

I vote both! I maintain both a PC and PS3 for gaming and get the best of both worlds. PS3 has some incredible exclusive titles. So with a PS3 you get those, the cross platform games, and have the option of buying the PC version for better controls (in most cases) and graphics.

You can't go wrong with a PC/PS3 1-2 punch.

IMHO, the only way to really play the majority of the best games is to own both a console and a gaming capable PC. This has always been the case.

Oh, and as for this drivel...

"i put it simple

pc was never made for gaming, youll buy 2000 $ desktop, for gaming you get 1000$

thats because :

2) they are not overclocked, you can do that, but youll do it really badly and make it even worst
5) there is 2 hardcore console MICROSOFT and SONY, those have R&D capabilities and COMPETITION between the 2 make console a product without comparision

7) take an example of the new 3D awesome graphic card, or those card that enable you to use 3 display. many people buy those just because are the most awesome but do not use triple screen sorrownd or 3d display

console are designed by the best IT in the world and are overclocked to give with few hardware the best, witout burning them, way better then kids of 16 overclock they re desktop

I rest my case

Yep, sounds like a teenage console fanboy to me. Reading that quote makes me want to reach for the Excedrin in a hurry.

Last edited:

Guess he isn't a Sega fan. For shame, indeed.

"i put it simple

thats because :

I rest my case

4/10

Was a weakly successful troll, you got some people.

From a Technical Standpoint, PC gaming is superior to console gaming. When a new console is released, it closes the gap a bit, but then stagnates for years while PC's continue to improve. When the 360 and PS3 were released, they were pretty beefy compared to most PC's, but today, PC's are more powerful with new capabilities.

As mentioned, you also have more controller options on the PC as well. 360 style controllers, Mice and Keyboard, Flight sticks/yokes/pedals, Steering wheels... It's all there.

From a developer point of view, Programming for consoles is perhaps easier. Not because it's less complex or anything, but simply because you really only need to target one performance level to work on all systems. If you write a PC game, you need to consider the lowest common denominator for hardware.

From a gaming viewpoint, it really depends on your style of gaming. If you only play "party games" like Rockband console is better. Kinect/Wii style gaming is ideally suited for consoles. If your style of gaming is something you can sit on the couch for with a friend or two, a console is for you. You also have the added benefit of being able to play a fair representation of traditionaly PC style games. So consoles are pretty attractive.

On the other hand, if you are REALLY into playing RTS, FPS and MMORPG's at their best, you can't touch PC gaming. Console versions of these game types need to adjusted down to work with consoles well. RTS's aren't quite as complex, FPS (though they can be decent and fun) don't have the same level of accuracy, MMORPG's more basic. There are often times lower player number limits on console games vs PC. The upcoming BF3 is an example of that.

PC games also tend to have much more actively involved communities in that you often see player made additions and mods to existing titles. An example is a RTS I play called Company of Heroes. This game came out 5 years ago, and is still a game I play regularily with friends. In large part because it's one of the best RTS games out there, but also because of a very active fan base that have created hundreds of maps and scenarios that can be added for free. My friends and I play from a library of over 500 player made maps which helps keep the game fresh and interesting.

So really, the better gaming machine all depends on your gaming style, and where you like to game. I prefer gaming at my desk with MMO's, RTS and FPS. So my 360 is almost never used for gaming, but I do enjoy playing social games with friends on it from time to time.

Ain't choice wonderful?! :)

edit:
Btw, on cost comparisons, I tend not to really compare the two. On one hand, you can spend $1000 on a pretty decent gaming PC vs $300-$500 for a console, but That $1000 doesn't tell the whole story as you will be using the PC for a lot more than gaming, I hope. On the other hand, the console isn't the sole purchase either. Consoles have added expenses for things like XBox live subscriptions and Accessories. And consoles are definately a lot more accessory happy than PC's. Extra controllers, Hard Drive upgrades, new attachments...

Since I got my 360 in 2005, I have spent $400 for the console. $350 on Xbox live, $100 on the Wifi Adapter, $125 for a hard drive. $150 for Kinect. $50 on the remote control for video streaming. $200 on wireless controllers. That's $1375 right there and I never got into the whole Rockband thing, which can easily add hundreds more in accessories. So the reality is, Console gaming is not cheaper than PC gaming. The cost associated with PC gaming is more up front, while consoles get you on accessories.

Last edited:
The best argument for a PC is that it permits you to do much more than just a console.

With a console, you get games & media streaming, they do both tasks very well and relatively easily.

With a PC you get that plus massive tools for content creation and learning. You can't write a program, edit a video, (easily) browse the web, write papers, etc... on a console.

If you're trying to win an argument or make a case for the cost premium of a PC versus a console, I'd take that angle... plus, PC games tend to be a bit cheaper than consoles and and unlike the inevitable Playstation 4, there won't be a "PC 2" to worry about compatibility with (IMO Windows has been much better about this lately)...

Not really. I didn't take any real time to write out why you were wrong or not. Other people who did fed my amusement ;)

what did he say that was wrong? he was just quoting another forum and clearly not taking the author's stance.

I think the gaming experience is better on a PC, but me I change recently to game on a consol (ps3) because on PC online FPS game have A LOT of 10 years old kid with hack.

The nice thing about a console is you just plug a game in and play.

I tried to install a game to my computer just yesterday. I put the CD in and I had to patch the installer, got it to install the game, I had to download and install patches*, dicked around with drivers for a few hours, and finally, when I went to play the game, it wouldn't load because I have PowerISO.

So I spent the next few hours looking for a way to violate the EULA and the DMCA just so I could play a game I purchased.

It is better than the days when you had to have a different config.sys for every game, but goddamn. I want my shit to just work.

When I played Red Dead Redemption. I told X-Box to download it and I hit play game.

*Oh yeah, I do need to patch console games now. Fuck you developers.

PC for sure.

PS3 has some fun exclusives, but any game that is on both, will be played on my pc. My ps3 now only serves to watch mlb.tv on the tv downstairs, if ps network is up that is. Might play games more if I buy one of those kb+mouse adapters. Controllers = suck.

Ps3 came bundled with my tv, otherwise wouldn't own a console like I haven't in the past 10 years.

"i put it simple

thats because :

I rest my case

Wow, was this written by a 7 year old or a retard? I can't tell.

Because I'm sure that he, like you, will not be able to see past the first line of the post.

I don't care if it's from the BF3 forums, it's still misleading bullshit.

I know this is from a couple pages back, but I gotta bite. Congratulations. You get the "Missed The Point Award" for 2011. Take a bow :D Other people in this thread missed the point of that post as well, but not to the extremes of you my friend.

He posted that quote sarcastically, assuming anyone here would instantly realize how ridiculously retarded it was. Kind of like if I posted a quote from a Justin Beiber fan site that said "The sky is blue because unicorns fart ionized blueberry ice cream!" on an atmospheric studies forum. I doubt anyone would write a lengthy rebut explaining to me about the light refraction properties of Oxygen and Nitrogen in regards to the position of the sun in the sky. They would probably realize that it was a joke, and move on chuckling slightly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back