PS3 Update: 2.42 Live

Another update which doesn't add shit worth having. Color me unsurprised.

I'd put money on the hackers having a version which works on this firmware up within a couple of weeks, if not sooner.

As for Rash's comment... do you feel the same way about this updating blocking the open source version of the jailbreak which has piracy disabled?

I'd put money on the hackers having a version which works on this firmware up within a couple of weeks, if not sooner.

I doubt it, it's kind of like the xbox 360's brief but hackable firmware along time ago (jtag, not the crappy pirate drive firmware crap that is only for pirating). The exploit wasn't open for long and after they closed it it was long gone. Right now jtagable 360's are worth a little more because they aren't common at all you need to have a very very old dashboard version, I could see that happening for ps3's also.

I'm not necessarily talking about updating a 3.42 machine, I'm talking about taking a 3.41 machine to a modified copy of 3.42.

No-one interested in using the Jailbreak is going to be stupid enough to update to the default 3.42. (The 360 hack was slightly different... it wasn't hacked until quite a while after the firmware had been already updated from the vulnerable version, meaning that not many people could use it, short of finding an old dashboard model in the shops)

I'm not necessarily talking about updating a 3.42 machine, I'm talking about taking a 3.41 machine to a modified copy of 3.42.

No-one interested in using the Jailbreak is stupid enough to update to the default 3.42.

That could happen. I think Sony is nipping this in the bud as a preemptive strike, and I think many ps3 owners will update their ps3 not knowing about the jailbreak or not caring because the homebrew is limited at this time and later on when the homebrew scene has grown into something more usable people will find that they can't jailbreak their ps3.

In terms of average Joe, you're probably right. I don't much care about them though... 90% of them would just use it for piracy anyway.

As for Rash's comment... do you feel the same way about this updating blocking the open source version of the jailbreak which has piracy disabled?

As long as it does not allow piracy in any way then i'm all for it being jailbreaked, it does suck and i do feel for those that want the open source for good honest reasons. BUT i also beleive it should void your warranty.

i would be the first to get a terrabyte hard drive and run all my paid for games off hard disk but there are too many wanker pirates! I agree it would increase hardware sales aswell, It just annoys me when I spend my hard earned cash (and its a hell of a lot of it!) on stuff when people steal the same thing.

As long as it does not allow piracy in any way then i'm all for it being jailbreaked, it does suck and i do feel for those that want the open source for good honest reasons. BUT i also beleive it should void your warranty.

i would be the first to get a terrabyte hard drive and run all my paid for games off hard disk but there are too many wanker pirates! I agree it would increase hardware sales aswell, It just annoys me when I spend my hard earned cash (and its a hell of a lot of it!) on stuff when people steal the same thing.

This.

Also, I play my PS3 every day for one thing or another. If this turns into a battle of dueling firmware updates between SONY and the jailbreak community I am going to be pissed. I know the updates don't take that long, but I still don't want to see it.

Now I have my phone rooted, and I love it, but I like using custom ROMS not stealing from the market. If the jailbreak community could give us a better browser, the ability to make apps for different websites, and other custom improvements and not steal games, I'd be all for it.

Do not update your PS3 if you ever plan on using the jailbreak exploit. According to musclenerd (iphone hacker currently porting PSgroove over to the iphone), it's 100% possible to upgrade the (I assume, modified) firmware through a USB key, not so much with the latest firmware.

Yep, I pulled the ethernet coord out of mine and disabled the wireless network. For the time being.

Seeing some reports that this update may be bricking some consoles. :eek:

Nothing new there. Everytime Sony release a firmware some website reports that the update bricks consoles for some people and its usually people who have upgraded their hard drive.

3.41 http://www.maximumpc.com/article/ho...ly_bricks_consoles_during_hard_drive_upgrades
3.30 http://www.ozcarguide.com/technology/gaming/2775-ps3-update-330
3.21 http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/sony-ps3-update-bricks-consoles/7949
3.00 http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/...s3-update-that-supposedly-bricks-consoles.ars
2.40 http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2008/07/03/2-40-ps3-update-withdrawn-may-brick-ps3s/1
2.01 http://www.ripten.com/2007/11/30/ps3-turns-into-useless-brick-after-firmware-update-201/
etc, etc, etc

With all the PS3's in the wild its bound to go wrong for a few of them. The majority of people don't have a problem. :D

Looks like the jailbreak already has a patch for the new update. I just might have to get one of these now.

Yeah, right now there's a way of still accessing PSN without upgrading, but no way of jailbreaking a 3.42 PS3.

i wouldnt have the patience of waiting to be able to play games online again for x amount of time.

That's the point Rash, you can play online right now. You just can't update your firmware.

Now when games require the new firmware... that's going to be a different story.

Well, I just bought NHL11 and don't care enough about the jailbreak to change my domain name servers to avoid the 'update'...

Ah well. :eek:

That could happen. I think Sony is nipping this in the bud as a preemptive strike, and I think many ps3 owners will update their ps3 not knowing about the jailbreak or not caring because the homebrew is limited at this time and later on when the homebrew scene has grown into something more usable people will find that they can't jailbreak their ps3.

These are my reasons. There's no reason for me to hold on for the games. If there were some useful apps then I might. I almost miss the idea of having linux on the system but not really. The homebrew is just not mature enough.

Not really playing anything on my PS3 at the moment that requires online play, so I think I will hold off updating for now.

my PS3 hasn't been updated since i last bought some DLC back a few months ago, maybe May or June? I think i'm good for now, I don't have my PS3 connected to the internet, cause I think it's bullshit that I have to update when all I want to do is sit down and play a friggin game.

I've never understood the point of hacking systems or why people complain. Everyone says homebrew which is complete bs, you can homebrew your 200 dollar HTPC to your 58" HDTV.

Everyone want's to hack the Xbox, Wii, and PS3 to play "backup" games.

You certainly did not originally buy a PS3 to play homebrew, you bought it either for a BR player or game console. Why cry?

People hack systems to get more functionality out of it. I would love to turn my PS3 into a dedicated media center since I don't even play games on it anymore. The PS3 hardware is capable of so much, but it's neutered for the narrow purpose of just games and bluray. It's not that hard to understand.

I updated mine to 3.42 last night so I could get Rock Band songs.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

K
People hack systems to get more functionality out of it. I would love to turn my PS3 into a dedicated media center since I don't even play games on it anymore. The PS3 hardware is capable of so much, but it's neutered for the narrow purpose of just games and bluray. It's not that hard to understand.

How is it not already? I have 300 gigs of tv shows and movies ripped onto it all sorted nice and neat. You can stream from a NAS tucked away next to a router or simply use psmediaserver from a pc. It's a bs excuse, you want more functionality buy a htpc. It would be better in every single way, provide a hugely better "homebrew" platform, etc.

K. You ever use XBMC? I want that, on a PS3. Your suggestions are pretty crappy when a PS3 should be able to do all of that satisfactorily. Ps3 media server is good, but Sony's XMB makes a poor media center interface.

Last edited:
K. You ever use XBMC? I want that, on a PS3. Your suggestions are pretty crappy when a PS3 should be able to do all of that satisfactorily. Ps3 media server is good, but Sony's XMB makes a poor media center interface.

I haven't used xbmc since I had it on my original xbox, however I am curious as to what about sony's xmb makes it a poor media center for you.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

I've never understood the point of hacking systems or why people complain. Everyone says homebrew which is complete bs, you can homebrew your 200 dollar HTPC to your 58" HDTV.

Everyone want's to hack the Xbox, Wii, and PS3 to play "backup" games.

You certainly did not originally buy a PS3 to play homebrew, you bought it either for a BR player or game console. Why cry?

Yeah you ever owned a modded xbox (1, not the 360 pirate junk)? If you haven't you'll never understand why. I had a 160gb hard drive in my original xbox had all my games and movies that I bought on the hard drive, when I wanted to go to a friends house to play with them I just took my xbox and it had all my games on it and my movies too. I don't like piracy which is why I don't like the xbox 360 modding. But the original xbox was much more than just piracy (although many used it as such which is bad).

I am curious as to what about sony's xmb makes it a poor media center for you.
Because you'll never have more than the name of the file and a preview image... amongst many other things (like relying on external devices for the transcoding of certain files).

It's the difference between this (my own PS3 looking at a DVD iso via PS3 media server):
30ws7ba.jpg

and this

29wpw5k.jpg

6p2tu8.jpg

jpkmld.jpg

Back