PS3 owners....look inside!!

digital_exhaust

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - May 2008
Hey all..... the [H]orde needs your help.

As some of you may know, the [H]orde is in the midst of a little showdown with some of the other F@H teams, and we are getting very close to taking over the lead!

We could really use your help. If only a few of you PS3 owners would join forces with the [H]orde and fold on your PS3's for a few days, I am certain that we can win this thing!!!

If your not familiar with F@H or the Chimp Challenge, here is a little info for you....

Chimp Challenge info here
Chimp Challenge stats here
F@H Info here
F@H PS3 Client download here

The client download is at the bottom of the page.

And of course, if you have any questions or need any help, don't hesitate to visit us in the DC sub forum, we're happy to help and look forward to meeting some of you!!

Once you do decide to join, be sure to enter [H]ardApe as the user name, and it's team 33 FTW!!!

Thank you all PS3 users for taking a minute to check this thread out.

Folding does not have any adverse effect on your console. I have been folding steady on mine since the day I bought it, over 4 months now, running 24/7. Others have had theirs going full steam for years. The PS3 is a folding powerhouse, and Sony designed it with F@H in mind.

We are currently in second, but gaining steady. Our calculations have us winning the race with just under 3 hours to spare. But this is still too close, theres too much time for things to change. Help keep [H]ardOCP the dominant force in F@H!

Its not really that bad on the electricity bill. And we'll have this thing won in a few more days if its a big enough concern. :D

Fair point, but the numbers there are for the older models. The 40GB units consume considerably less power.

Bare minimum we would only need the extra contribution until the the end of the contest which if nothing changes is 3.7 days. I think the small amount that 3 days of folding would add to your bill is worth it for your contribution to the team [H]ardApe, and more importantly to science.

If you can post the cost of electricity where you live I can tell you approximately how much it will cost.

For example in the UK, I am paying approx 7p per KWh.
Using my PC on full load it uses an extra 60W (my PC is 24/7 anyway).
It will take me 16.6 hrs to use 7p. so approx 10p per day for me to fold.

Bare minimum we would only need the extra contribution until the the end of the contest which if nothing changes is 3.7 days. I think the small amount that 3 days of folding would add to your bill is worth it for your contribution to the team [H]ardApe, and more importantly to science.

Exactly. While we would love to keep everyone folding for good, we'll gladly take whatever you wish to contribute for the contest, which was the point of this thread. The current batch of PS3 work units is still quite heavy on the 4043's, which take all of 3 hours to complete.

Well, considering folding is probably using a good percentage of CPU time I'm sure its drawing a bit of wattage. Still though, for the purpose I think its acceptable

Thanks!

We all really, sincerely appreciate anything you guys are willing to do to help, and I mean that. This is something that we all care about very deeply and it is so nice to see other members of our community stand up and help the [H]orde out when in need..... just one of the many reasons that the [H] is the greatest community on the net!!!

I'll hook it up asap guys, my girlfriends parents both died from cancer, so while I have a non-horde pc F@H I will hook one up with you's as soon as I can.

I'll hook it up asap guys, my girlfriends parents both died from cancer, so while I have a non-horde pc F@H I will hook one up with you's as soon as I can.

Thank you, that is awesome. Stop by the DC sub forum if you have any questions, or just to say hi.

I dont own a PS3, but I will jump at the chance to help out my [H] brothers! I downloaded the client and setup the user/ # you posted and am folding as I type.

I dont own a PS3, but I will jump at the chance to help out my [H] brothers! I downloaded the client and setup the user/ # you posted and am folding as I type.

Thank you!

See.... it's support like this that really makes the [H] what it is.... the [H]ardest board on the planet.......Fold On!!!!

I just set up my PS3 to grind away when I am not playing GTA4, I will leave it running for the next few days.

I use to run F@H on my main rig but damn that thing would put out some heat. My room temp would go up 5deg F by just running the rig for more then 5 hours strait. I would wake up hot and sweating from the temp jump in the summer, and now that I moved to the south it is damn hot all the time.

stupid noob question, where do you put in the [H]ardApe? thanks

When the folding client is running, press the green triangle to bring up the menu. Go down to identity, then to Change Donor Name. It will bring up a box allowing you to enter the username. Right under the z is a box that will bring up special characters such as the brackets. Right below the v is a button that will change between lowercase and uppercase letters. I believe that it is case sensitive, so capitalize the H and A. Lower right corner is enter to accept the name. Then Identity -> Join an Exisiting Team and enter 33. Now you're done and folding for [H]ardApe.

got a ps3 and have already done some folding, can I change the name? Im pretty sure I used team 33.

and I have 2q6600's to contribute as well, need to configure the multi client or w/e.

got a ps3 and have already done some folding, can I change the name? Im pretty sure I used team 33.

and I have 2q6600's to contribute as well, need to configure the multi client or w/e.

I don't know anything about the PS3 client, but if you head over to the DC sub forum, I'm sure that someone will help... it can't be all that hard to change your username...

You can find the SMP client here.... and again, if you have questions, the DC forum is the place to ask....

And thank you.... we appreciate your help!!!

Setting mine up now, but it'll be down while I move out of my ex's apt the next couple days.

Just gotta change the name and #

Well, changing the settings last night was easy, if anyone needs to know how to change the name and team, LMK.

I have all 4 of my PS3's folding for the [H] already...

Just need to get home to change the username :p

See my post a couple places above yours with the q&d on changing the name.

Summer is coming and I need to conserve all the energy I can for my two Air Conditioning units, sorry.

Summer is coming and I need to conserve all the energy I can for my two Air Conditioning units, sorry.

Its not quite here yet. We only need you for a few more days. And just between us, MaxPC has been saying some bad things about you. You're not going to let them get away with that are you? :D

Back