PS3 camping update

kumquat said:
I think in the week or two after launch the prices will drop a bit as a ton of people are going to flood eBay with them. I think they will peak two weeks before Christmas.

So you think that the 10,000 listed on ebay is going to flood the market? I dont know...There will still be 10 million+ kids without a ps3 that want one...

Bowhuntr11 said:
So you think that the 10,000 listed on ebay is going to flood the market? I dont know...There will still be 10 million+ kids without a ps3 that want one...
I think that prices will drop right after launch because there will be a relatively large immediate influx of people who put up their PS3s for auction the day they get them.

kumquat said:
I think that prices will drop right after launch because there will be a relatively large immediate influx of people who put up their PS3s for auction the day they get them.

But there will also be a large influx of people trying to get one after they didnt get one on launch day.

Nearly 1/3 of all Xbox 360's at launch ended up on eBay. They still sold for well over the MSRP.

The profits will be higher on the Playstation 3, guaranteed.

K600 said:
Nearly 1/3 of all Xbox 360's at launch ended up on eBay. They still sold for well over the MSRP.

The profits will be higher on the Playstation 3, guaranteed.

Yeah, I mean I dont really need a PS3, but heck, it has a blue ray dvd player in it for $600. Sign me up. Plus I can play some wicked games on it.

I was actually planning on selling mine immediately after returning from camping... but a few posts here opened my eyes about the others doing the exact same thing I'm doing.

So, what do you guys suggest would be the best time to sell?
It's either when I return or 2 weeks prior to Xmas...

...but the problem with Xmas is that I'll have a PS3 lying around for a month... I'm going to be tempted to open it up and play. :(

The18thLetter said:
I was actually planning on selling mine immediately after returning from camping... but a few threads opened my eyes here about the others doing the exact same thing I'm doing.

...but the problem with Xmas is that I'll have a PS3 lying around for a month... I'm going to be tempted to open it up and play. :(

get a wii :D

none of the launch games really look any good to me...so i'll be more than able to hold off.

if i can get more than one console (a friend is camping with me) one is going on ebay, the other is being held off for ebay around christmas or if a killer game comes along i wont have a problem breaking it open and getting some playtime in

For people looking to sell one on eBay

The 360 peaked immediately after launch. The auctions ending in the afternoon/evening on launch day got the highest profits. It dropped off pretty quickly after that and went from about 2000$ to 800-1000$ on most auctions. So you can double your profit if you tell a friend to post the auction while you are waiting in line and know that you will get one. I believe prices took a bit of a jump near Xmas, but never again approached the launch day prices.

Erasmus354 said:

The 360 peaked immediately after launch. The auctions ending in the afternoon/evening on launch day got the highest profits. It dropped off pretty quickly after that and went from about 2000$ to 800-1000$ on most auctions. So you can double your profit if you tell a friend to post the auction while you are waiting in line and know that you will get one. I believe prices took a bit of a jump near Xmas, but never again approached the launch day prices.
Shhhhh.

You're ruining my plan.

Erasmus354 said:

Thanks. I appreciate it.
:)

The18thLetter said:
I was actually planning on selling mine immediately after returning from camping... but a few posts here opened my eyes about the others doing the exact same thing I'm doing.

Then go ahead and open it up and play. I know that you've been wanting the PS3 for a while, and this is your chance. If you've been waiting this long for it, why torture yourself till who knows when it becomes widely available again?

I just got an ad from Walmart in the mail yesterday. I live in metro IA and the ad is advertising the PS3 to be available at exactly 12:01 on the 17th and it clearly states that each store will have a minimum of 10!. I am taking Friday off so I can loiter inside Wal-mart for 4 hours prior to launch. We have 4 Wal-marts and 2 Best-Buys in the vincinity hopefully I will be able to snag one or two. By the way which Walmart should I go to, the ghetto ones on the east side or the yuppy Walmart(it has to be the nicest Walmart in the country)? Being that most people work the next day and kids have school on Friday. I can't imagine it would be that packed. I think I will be competing with the college and highschool kids.

I'm in central IA too. I might stop by the ankeny walmart on thursday night just to see if there is a line or not, if its small i might just wait for one. i think it will really be a coin toss on which one to go too. the rich areas will have the money to buy one, but they will also have enough to just get it off of ebay instead of waiting in line. the ghetto ones will have either people that can't afford it but don't care or people trying to make money off of it to resell it.

Where should we go then? I was thinking the Walmart in WDM. I also think there is a less known Walmart in Windsor Heights. What do you think?

i'd be willing to bet 4 hours of waiting isn't gonna net you a system.

i think all the walmarts are setting up rows of chairs in layaway, and if you get a chair to sit in, you get a system.

[H]ard|Nate said:
Where should one go to wait in Wally world, outside the electronics department?
If there isn't a line already, speak directly with the store manager to find out.

when the doors open ... will it be a free for all carnage or most shop will give a number to the people in line?

[H]ard|Nate said:
Where should we go then? I was thinking the Walmart in WDM. I also think there is a less known Walmart in Windsor Heights. What do you think?

I would say start with the one closest to you, if there are 10+ people in line go to the next one and just keep doing that until you find on where there are less then 10 people. at least all the walmarts around here are within 20-30 minutes of eachother so it won't be that hard to check most of them. i only want to get one to resell and will only wait in line if there are less then 10 people in line whenever i check the store. if i don't get one then oh well :)

arr4ws said:
when the doors open ... will it be a free for all carnage or most shop will give a number to the people in line?

the place im camping is doing numbers.

arr4ws said:
Not carnage. The store will give out some sort of identifier, whether it's a certificate or wrist bracelet or similar, beginning with the first person in line, before the store opens. No worries there.

I have a walmart and a futureshop very near of eachother... ill check those a midnight and 4 am before the doors open...

thanks a lot!

CodeX said:
My girlfriend just got back from our local walmart (she picked up children of mana DS for me) and she told me that she talked to a manager there about the PS3. She said that she flirted with him a little and got him to say more than he was going to at first, but basically here are the things you should know:
-They are doing a midnight release
-They will be issuing tickets prior to the release
-They expect a small amount of people to camp for up to 1 WEEK before release, with most showing up the day before (x360 experience)
-They expect to get less than 20 units.
-He suggested she show up at least 72 hours in advance to have a decent shot at getting one...

:eek:
Wow! Can you get your girlfriend to go flirt with some meteorologists and get them to tell her what color the sky really is?

finalgt said:
Wow! Can you get your girlfriend to go flirt with some meteorologists and get them to tell her what color the sky really is?

I don't know what you mean???

[H]ard|Nate said:
I am taking Friday off so I can loiter inside Wal-mart for 4 hours prior to launch.

I can promise you that you will not get a PS3 if you stick to your 4 hour plan. hell, even waiting until 12 hours prior to opening bell still wont get you one.

I hate to say this but this is going to be at least an 18 to 24 hour waiting game for anyone that wants one of these consoles. I think its going to be that bad.

ozziegn said:
I can promise you that you will not get a PS3 if you stick to your 4 hour plan. hell, even waiting until 12 hours prior to opening bell still wont get you one.

I hate to say this but this is going to be at least an 18 to 24 hour waiting game for anyone that wants one of these consoles. I think its going to be that bad.
18 to 24 hour camp??? No way Thats how long I waited for the second 360 shipment! This is gunna be a 2 day camp at least, It should be fun.

I was thinking about going Wednesday around 3ish...hopefully thats soon enough. If only I didnt have to teach a class at 2.

CodeX said:
I don't know what you mean???
In other words, not a single item in that list was information that couldn't be obtained through common sense. No flirting necessary. You sure she wasn't flirting for other reasons...?*

* Note: Just a joke.**

** ...or is it?

I talked to my own Wal-mart as well..

They are doing a sale at 12:01 am and they said the earlier the better

You will have to sit outside the main entrance which is their vending area for the Wal-mart here but if it gets really crowded I am going over to best buy which is in the same parking lot.

I'll be going down like 12/3pm on thursday, but will have to see as my mom works down near the Wal-mart she gonna check to see if there is a line or not, and if there is I'll be speeding down to wal-mart or best buy.

Which stores did not sell pre-orders?

If a store pre-sold its launch shipment, not much point to camping out.

Any clue as to when Best Buy is giving out tickets? I've read that they will distribute them at around 5 AM on the 17th. I think that if I go to Best Buy at 2 PM on the 16th, I will have a good chance at one.

OutOfGum said:
Which stores did not sell pre-orders?

If a store pre-sold its launch shipment, not much point to camping out.

wal-mart, best buy, circuit city, target, sams club, costco...these are the stores that didnt take preorders. Not sure if sams or costco will get any one launch day however.

finalgt said:
In other words, not a single item in that list was information that couldn't be obtained through common sense. No flirting necessary. You sure she wasn't flirting for other reasons...?*

Whatever. At first he said that the stores official PR stance was that the didn't know how many they were getting, and that he didn't know if they were giving tickets out or not. Then she got him to say that they were giving out tickets and they were definetly getting less than 20 units...

TheOmniscientCreator said:
I think that if I go to Best Buy at 2 PM on the 16th, I will have a good chance at one.

2PM the day before? ha! thats funny, really funny..... :D

ozziegn said:

You know in IA it might be fine. If there are people lining 24 hours before it is release in my area, I don't need one that bad. I mean come on, there's more to life than a fricken console. Triumph the Insult Dog will have a blast with you people who plan on camping out 24-48hrs before.

ozziegn said:

It's not really hard to conceive in less populated areas. If he lived in New York, I'd agree.

My friend suggested going to a store in a really rich neighborhood. After all, those rich snobs would never want to wait for a PS3, they would just spend $2000 for one on ebay. :D

Im thinking of heading down to my local walmart in nowhere IA just see what the line looks like. Cant afford one and dont want one but maybe can make a buck if I get a ticket.

Here in OH, in a college town with around 30k people, I'd think it's possible.

Back