Prusa Multi Material Unit

XViper

Gawd
So I bought one of these during cyber Monday.

I wanted to play with multi-color prints.

Anyone have one of these?

Just finished putting mine together this evening. Ingenious little device - a lot of engineering and thought went into this sucker. Prusa packing Gummi bear in with their kits is also genius touch! :D Took a fair bit of time to put together, but if you like tinkering, time well spent. I didn't rush it, spread it out over the last couple of days and spent roughly 5 hours each day on it drinking beer that Bleeblak8 left me when he picked up the Prusa MK2S I sold him. (Thanks again by the way! That Peanut Butter Porter was delish!) Besides the beer, listening to plenty of Tool at a good volume helped as well. :D (Wife and kids are out town for a few days visiting the in-laws.)

It's all setup and spread all over the bar in the man-cave at the moment. Having 5 spools all going at the same time takes up a good bit of space - going to have to figure out a better arrangement for organizing the spools, but for now, just testing everything.

After getting the new firmware flashed post install and re-calibrating everything, it all checked out perfectly, so I fired up my very first print with it, a 5 color benchie.

mmu2-1.jpg mmu2-6.jpg mmu2-4.jpg

mmu2-5.jpg mmu2-7.jpg

I'll post some pics of the finished print tomorrow.

Here you go Xviper, this is what you can expect as to performance out of the Prusa MMU 2.0.
My very first print after completing assembly and calibration:

mmu2-model1.jpg mmu2-model2.jpg

mmu2-model3.jpg
Not too shabby! One thing though, using 5 colors at once easily quadruples print times... ugh! Think I'll stick to 2 or 3 colors per print unless doing something special. Dissovlable support material is also going to rock! Now just have to learn how to manage multiple filaments types/colors within model files / Slic3r.

Man this is awesome. Mine's on order and won't be here until Feb. Prusa did a video where he said that soluble supports were expensive so what he did was to build the support up to the point before it touches the print and the only the remaining layers touching the print with the soluble to massively cut costs. This means that the roll of soluble support should last a long time. That's why I bought one and the fact that I can finish the partial rolls without throwing them out (mine's still a MK2).

Yes, being able to just use/print PVA at the very edge of a support's interfacing layer to a large/complex model and use cheap filament for the rest of the support is probably the biggest/best single feature as PVA isn't cheap! It's what convinced me to get the MMU.

I'm not criticitizing, but that benchy doesn't look as good as some of the stuff I've seen off my coworker's prusa i3 mk2. Can you post what your non-MMU prints look like? I get the feeling it's the bowden setup like my CR-10 has. Definitely cool, though

I'm not criticitizing, but that benchy doesn't look as good as some of the stuff I've seen off my coworker's prusa i3 mk2. Can you post what your non-MMU prints look like? I get the feeling it's the bowden setup like my CR-10 has. Definitely cool, though

Ya, I was just using a pre-canned g-code demo model file that came bundled with the MMU. It seems that it was created with a 200 µm layer height... the printer is capable of 50 µm layers. Add to that I was feeding it multiple/different brands of PLA, all with varying recommended print temps that the g-code wasn’t aware of or taking into account. I’ll have to try again with a proper model STL file and slice it using a 50 µm layer height and dial in all the proper PLA temp settings for each reel... would probably produce a much cleaner/nicer print then. Was just excited to see it spit something out multicolored using the MMU. :p

I’ve already posted what my non-mmu prints look like. You’ll find a benchie here:
https://hardforum.com/threads/what-printers-do-you-all-use.1949891/page-2#post-1043696817

What do you guys think about the Palette 2? Thinking of getting one of these and cancel my MMU order. I was told the reliability was much better than the MMU.

Ya, I was just using a pre-canned g-code demo model file that came bundled with the MMU. It seems that it was created with a 200 µm layer height... the printer is capable of 50 µm layers. Add to that I was feeding it multiple/different brands of PLA, all with varying recommended print temps that the g-code wasn’t aware of or taking into account. I’ll have to try again with a proper model STL file and slice it using a 50 µm layer height and dial in all the proper PLA temp settings for each reel... would probably produce a much cleaner/nicer print then. Was just excited to see it spit something out multicolored using the MMU. :p

I’ve already posted what my non-mmu prints look like. You’ll find a benchie here:
https://hardforum.com/threads/what-printers-do-you-all-use.1949891/page-2#post-1043696817

Those look to be about what I expected. Please report back when you get it all dialed in, curious how close to the non bowden setup you can get it.

Back