jojo69
[H]F Junkie
- Joined
- Sep 13, 2009
- Messages
- 11,433
So, I was the lucky early bird in this thread and the board arrived today.
Envy on the reader's part is understandable. Let me say that it is a bit of an embarrassment of riches. I appreciate that and feel compelled to get it up and running for the team as soon as possible. This is my first ever multiprocessor project so hopefully folks will lend me their advise.
The board is a Supermicro X7DWN+ (manual PDF) with L5410 CPUs
First thing I need is a PSU that supports the full 12 pin EPS CPU power pinout, 550W minimum. If anyone has one for a reasonable price please let me know. Also any heads up on decent deals on a suitable new PSU are very welcome.
Another question regards the heatsink mounting. These LGA 771 sinks are attached through the board with 4 machine screws, captive and spring loaded in the sinks. They look like 6-32 and it looks like they are intended to screw into case standoffs Though light backing plates are present, they have no female threads. I plan to run the system naked for now, though I will probably manufacture at least a tray in the future. Does anyone see any problem with just putting nuts under the backing plates and attaching the sinks that way for naked folding?
Envy on the reader's part is understandable. Let me say that it is a bit of an embarrassment of riches. I appreciate that and feel compelled to get it up and running for the team as soon as possible. This is my first ever multiprocessor project so hopefully folks will lend me their advise.
The board is a Supermicro X7DWN+ (manual PDF) with L5410 CPUs
First thing I need is a PSU that supports the full 12 pin EPS CPU power pinout, 550W minimum. If anyone has one for a reasonable price please let me know. Also any heads up on decent deals on a suitable new PSU are very welcome.
Another question regards the heatsink mounting. These LGA 771 sinks are attached through the board with 4 machine screws, captive and spring loaded in the sinks. They look like 6-32 and it looks like they are intended to screw into case standoffs Though light backing plates are present, they have no female threads. I plan to run the system naked for now, though I will probably manufacture at least a tray in the future. Does anyone see any problem with just putting nuts under the backing plates and attaching the sinks that way for naked folding?