Project: Rogue (NZXT SFF)

I've got a micro-update here. I'm currently still working on the top panel, but I've got a couple more shots of the work in progress.

Here you can see the top panel sitting on top of the fan tray. The missing strip will be added once I join the two pieces together.

rogue096jz7.jpg

Then finally, you can see the fans sitting in position. Don't worry about the wires right now. They will all be sleeved and presented nicely. They will drop into the center of the cover behind each fan.

rogue097ck6.jpg

Well, I'm going back to work. I've got 6 big holes to make!

Holy cow you've got a lot of fans. :eek:

i can see one thing

This case wont have to worry about air flow

Yeah, this case should definitely run cool. :p

I was originally planning only 4, but 6 fit just as well, and actually looked better. In addition, the added airflow should help offset the fact that there are no fans directly against the radiators. All these fans are sucking air out of the case. So, cool, fresh air will be drawn through the radiators, and all the case heat will be drawn out the top.

Great jobs on both mods. Watching your work has inspired me to start in on my SG-01e.

I will need to bend aluminum in mine and I was looking at the brake you purchased from Northern Tools. The description says it is only capable of a 90 degree bend. Is it possible to get a 180 degree fold out of it? Perhaps by completing a 90 degree then adding a block of some sort to the upper plane and repeating the bend?

Great jobs on both mods. Watching your work has inspired me to start in on my SG-01e.

I will need to bend aluminum in mine and I was looking at the brake you purchased from Northern Tools. The description says it is only capable of a 90 degree bend. Is it possible to get a 180 degree fold out of it? Perhaps by completing a 90 degree then adding a block of some sort to the upper plane and repeating the bend?

Cool. Mod away man!

The brake itself will only bend to slightly more than 90 degrees. You may be able to add a block of some kind to bend it further, but you're going to compromise a nice clean bend. I'm guessing the end result wouldn't turn out so well. Is there some reason you need to bend material back on itself?

Cool. Mod away man!

The brake itself will only bend to slightly more than 90 degrees. You may be able to add a block of some kind to bend it further, but you're going to compromise a nice clean bend. I'm guessing the end result wouldn't turn out so well. Is there some reason you need to bend material back on itself?

I may end up watercooling the case so I would like to get rid of the holes in the top. The easiest method would to recreate it using a new sheet of anodized aluminum; however, this would require me to fold the edges in the same way as the existing cover so that it can lock into place.

I'm trying to remember how we made 180 degree bends in high school shop. It seems like we did a 90 degree bend then added something or flipped the piece around in some way to complete the bend but I can't remember for sure.

Regardless, other mods on the case will require the brake so I will order it and play around with it to see what can be done.

Mod on brother! I'm looking forward to your next update.

Gotcha, as a person familiar with the SG01, I can see why you would want to do that...

Either way, the brake is a great investment!

I was pleasantly surprised to see the TEC. It seems TECs have fallen out of favour with modders when they seemed so cool 5 years ago. Peltiers are just a cool technology period.

I was pleasantly surprised to see the TEC. It seems TECs have fallen out of favour with modders when they seemed so cool 5 years ago. Peltiers are just a cool technology period.

I've personally always been a fan of TEC. For some though, it's just not worth the hassle, when high end watercooling can do a decent job. Of course, if you want sub ambient temps, TEC and phase change are really the only viable options. In this case, TEC was definitely the best way to go. It's small, compact, and the price wasn't that much above the watercooling I had already planned. I'm not that concerned about the TEC's inefficiency, I just want kick-ass cooling. ;)

I've got a little more work done on the top panel, so I thought I'd get a few pictures up.

The first thing I had to do, was cut about 12mm off the top rear of the case. I needed this material removed to resolve a fan clearance issue. Who knew that six 120mm fans could take up so much room? ;-)

rogue098dx2.jpg

Next, I used one of my grill templates to mark out where all the holes needed to be.

rogue099fk3.jpg

A little time with a hole saw made quick work of the aluminum.

rogue100gb9.jpg

With the help of a little JB Weld, the two top pieces were joined together. Here you can see the top panel sitting on the case.

rogue101vc4.jpg

Here is another pic with the fans in place. Now I've got to get the missing strip in place, and tomorrow I can get it sanded, cleaned up, and get the wiring for the fans figured out.

rogue102mj0.jpg

Speaking of the wiring... I mentioned something about not needing to unhook wires when I removed the top of the case. Well, these little things are going to help me achieve that. I've got male and female spring contacts.

rogue104ke8.jpg

rogue103lf3.jpg

I'm off to bed for the night, but work will continue tomorrow!

This worklog is insanely cool. I love the row of fans. I can't wait to see the finished build...but that would be like reading the ending of a good book first. Got ...to... refrain... from... looking... at ...the ...ending. :rolleyes:

im interested to see what kind of treatment you will have on top of those fans.

You aren't planning to leave them bare right?

im interested to see what kind of treatment you will have on top of those fans.

You aren't planning to leave them bare right?

Nope, they will have this grill on them. It is an anodized red aluminum. There will also be a hex mesh under the grill.

02052008184855ab5.jpg

Is there a chance for you to eliminate the screw holes in the grill?

It would be possible if I had blind holes tapped in the back of each grill. One of my earlier versions was going to be machined like that. I decided that I kind of like the more industrial look of exposed cap bolts. I've got some in stainless steel that look pretty sharp. I haven't ordered the panels yet, so anything is open to change.

excellent -

Those fans may be good, but I wouldn't call them good looking. At least not good enough looking to leave them bare or not cover them with something....

I too own a black rogue, too bad I don't have the balls to hack it up!

excellent -

Those fans may be good, but I wouldn't call them good looking. At least not good enough looking to leave them bare or not cover them with something....

I too own a black rogue, too bad I don't have the balls to hack it up!

I believe he said he wasn't going to leave them bare.

well if you want to go nutts than I will design reverse blades for them so the pretty side is the exhaust...

Lets see, payment...how does your first born sound :D

well if you want to go nutts than I will design reverse blades for them so the pretty side is the exhaust...

Lets see, payment...how does your first born sound :D

Hmm, sounds like an interesting idea...

I've already got two kids, and the oldest is almost 12. I've kind of grown attached to them though... :p

LOL, I would love to see the look on the wife/childs face...Daddy needs some fans so you have to go to Nevada now..

Sorry it took me a while to get the image in my head, I am a little slow...So are you going to control all 6 of the fans individually?

Yeah, they will be controlled individually by the Zalman fan controller. It would be nice to have them all controlled at the same time, but their wattage exceeds most fan controllers specs (at least combined). I could always use something software based, like the Alphacool T-balancer, but I'd prefer not to go that route.

Back