Project: Rogue (NZXT SFF)

Holy shit. Nice work your like a gawd with metals, im subscribed and im gonna check out your other case mod.

Thanks guys!

Time for another update! I'm still working on the face of the case. I'm really liking the way it's turning out, but it's definitely time consuming.

In order to continue on the face, I needed to get the DVD drive placement finalized. Here I've got the area I need to remove marked off.

rogue018un0.jpg

With the hole made, I checked for fit using on of my DVD drives.

rogue019ro6.jpg

Now that I know the DVD drive position is finalized, I can work on getting the slots made in the front cover.

rogue028yl2.jpg

I've finished the rough cut here.

rogue029wq9.jpg

Here are the slots all filed and finished with the exception of a little touch up sanding.

rogue030pa4.jpg

rogue031uo8.jpg

Now I've got a few smaller things that I've been working on. I've got the old power button holes filled. A little JB Weld took care of it...

rogue027zl3.jpg

I also have the pocket almost made the second temperature gauge.

rogue021pn0.jpg

rogue022pe0.jpg

More coming shortly!

Hacks! I can't believe you got rid of the stock power buttons, lol, I actually kinda like them.

It's been a while since I have looked forward to a case mod (4+ years) keep up the awsome work.

Oh yeah, with your PSU in the front of the case what are your plans for the gaping hole in the back of the case?

-Net

I almost bought a Rogue... but the A05B for $60 was too tempting, I already have all the parts that will fit (No MATX board) and I don't like modding cases too extensively... *cough*

Looks awesome though... we'll have to see how it holds up to the last LOSIAS... which was... something else... :D

Hacks! I can't believe you got rid of the stock power buttons, lol, I actually kinda like them.

It's been a while since I have looked forward to a case mod (4+ years) keep up the awsome work.

Oh yeah, with your PSU in the front of the case what are your plans for the gaping hole in the back of the case?

-Net

Yeah, the stock buttons had to go. I liked them as well, but they were simply in the wrong location. The Matrix Orbital display would have interfered. I will probably relocate them to a more suitable location and use them with the VIA system. I've got a Bulgin switch I had planned on using with the Rogue.

The gaping hole in the back, will be filled with a NZXT 1200 watt power supply. The power supply in the front of the case is a 600 watt 24 volt Meanwell unit dedicated to the peltier alone. So, yes, this thing will be running dual PSU's... :D

I almost bought a Rogue... but the A05B for $60 was too tempting, I already have all the parts that will fit (No MATX board) and I don't like modding cases too extensively... *cough*

Looks awesome though... we'll have to see how it holds up to the last LOSIAS... which was... something else... :D

My whole goal here was to make LOSIAS look ordinary by comparison. I may be a little biased, but I think I'm going to pull it off. :D

Yeah, the stock buttons had to go. I liked them as well, but they were simply in the wrong location. The Matrix Orbital display would have interfered. I will probably relocate them to a more suitable location and use them with the VIA system. I've got a Bulgin switch I had planned on using with the Rogue.

The gaping hole in the back, will be filled with a NZXT 1200 watt power supply. The power supply in the front of the case is a 600 watt 24 volt Meanwell unit dedicated to the peltier alone. So, yes, this thing will be running dual PSU's... :D

Very nice, I really can't wait to see how this turns out. I'll continue stalking this thread... keep it up!

-Net

Lol, don't let greenpeace hear that :D

Looking cool, i love the way everything is well-thought before modding it! None of that rushing things just to get done many people (me included) tend to.

Lol, don't let greenpeace hear that :D

For some reason I picture that scene in Christmas Vacation where Clark finally gets his lights to turn on... Electrical meters spinning up, and somewhere someone has to flip a switch to kick on the auxiliary nuclear power...

For some reason I picture that scene in Christmas Vacation where Clark finally gets his lights to turn on... Electrical meters spinning up, and somewhere someone has to flip a switch to kick on the auxiliary nuclear power...

lol @ Plutonium powered Rogue

That's not a case mod suggestion Craig :p

Any updates soon? Im sitting on the edge of my seat! My project has made some movement. I love these parts also! Thanks craig i feel like im a part of history now! Lol was this mobo owned by dworly before you?

Any updates soon? Im sitting on the edge of my seat! My project has made some movement. I love these parts also! Thanks craig i feel like im a part of history now! Lol was this mobo owned by dworly before you?

I'll probably have another update on Tuesday, possibly even Monday if I can find the time. I'm glad you're liking the parts. I did buy that motherboard from dworley. It was a new spare board that he had. I actually had/have another board that I burned a trace on. I repaired it, and it actually still works, but I didn't want to risk any potential reliability problems, so I looked for another board. Heck, maybe I'll even sell the repaired board some time.

Lol nice, you problay could sell it. People should be looking for that. Actually if i get enough extra parts i could buy it cus i still have an unused opty. But i doubt it. cant wait for the update.

this thread should be "REQUIRED" reading...I get so caught up in my own little insignificant world I forget there is so much going on all around. BEAUTIFUL CRAFTSMANSHIP.

Glad to see you using a proper mobo (ATX):cool:

this thread should be "REQUIRED" reading...I get so caught up in my own little insignificant world I forget there is so much going on all around. BEAUTIFUL CRAFTSMANSHIP.

Glad to see you using a proper mobo (ATX):cool:

Thanks mark!

Yeah, I had to do ATX. It's the only way I'll do it from here on out. I take my inspiration from a lot of different places and people, and certainly your work had helped in that regard. :D

Wow, i just went through and read the whole thing. and dang, was it ever worth it. Keep up the GREAT work. LOVE that temp gauge!!

Time for another update! I've made some pretty good progress in the past few days. What have I been doing? Making holes... Big holes, little holes, rectangular holes, and round holes... I'm starting to dislike holes a little. I'd much rather be fabricating, but it all starts with those dang holes.

In my last update you saw the work I did on the DVD drive slots. So, I'm picking up right there. With the slots completed, I needed to make a hole for the eject button. You'll see that I made the hole larger than the button itself, but there's a very good reason for that. I'll go into detail on that a little later, but for now, you can see what I have so far.

rogue039am7.jpg

rogue040fj3.jpg

rogue041yb7.jpg

rogue042af0.jpg

Now I need to make the holes in the front of the case for the gauges. This whole process has been a little time consuming to say the least. There are technically 3 layers I need to make holes in. It starts with the door, then the front of the case, then there's another panel behind there yet...

One hole done, another one started.

rogue051jn3.jpg

It's a perfect fit!

rogue053jw3.jpg

rogue054oz1.jpg

Well, it's time to get the hole made in the face for the LCD screen. Here I've got it marked out and ready to cut.

rogue055ij1.jpg

After the cutting is finished, a little filing and sanding gets things in to shape...

rogue057ck3.jpg

The LCD drops right in place.

rogue059on8.jpg

More holes you say? Of course! Here I've marked out the hole for the Matrix Orbital display.

rogue060xi4.jpg

Another cut, file and sand completed.

rogue063pm3.jpg

At last, I move my way to the inner most panel. Here it changes from aluminum to steel. It's thinner though, and the cutting should be easier. Instead of dust, I'm gonna make sparks. In this picture, I've already got the holes for the Dakota Digital gauges made.

rogue065ut3.jpg

Now finally, I do a little work on the Matrix Orbital display housing. Naturally, this thing isn't going to be sitting a bay as it was designed to. That's where a little modification comes in. Here I've got the mount marked, and ready for cutting. The left pencil line is where a bend will be, the right line is where the cut will be.

rogue069wo8.jpg

After it's cut and bent, this is the end result.

rogue070xb3.jpg

More coming soon...

After watching Boddaker, Dgephri, Qtip42 and now you I feel so insignificant..

Dam, time to step up.:p

Very nice. Is the end near? Can't wait.

lets hope not, dont rush the man, let him do the work, and do it right. genius takes time

sit back, watch the story unfold, and take notes.. this is good stuff

Man, I love updates! Updates mean progress is being made. It's a little bittersweet though. I can see the end in sight, yet building is so much fun. I don't want it to end, yet I have other projects (home related) I need to work on.

With my last update, I was still making holes. With this one, I'm still making holes, although they'll be a little smaller in the end. To start here, I needed to finish the hole in the frame for the widescreen LCD. Luckily, there really wasn't that much cutting involved.

rogue071za9.jpg

rogue072pj1.jpg

Now, here is a shot with the LCD's and gauges sitting in place.

rogue073fm2.jpg

Okay, now that's out of the way. So, what's next? Well, I need a fan controller. Not just any fan controller, I have a Zalman ZM-MFC1 Plus.

rogue023ul6.jpg

rogue024ob4.jpg

rogue025za5.jpg

rogue026wg5.jpg

Okay, that's a fine controller you say, but where the heck am I going to put it? If you've been paying attention, space on the front of the case is at a premium. That doesn't mean I'm out of room though. In fact, far from it. However, it's not exactly a 'drop in' procedure. As with everything else so far, a lot of cutting and modding will make it fit.

Well, let's get on with it! Here you can see where the controller will sit.

rogue074kt4.jpg

That brushed aluminum face sure looks nice, but it's gotta go.

rogue075bx3.jpg

Here I've got the holes for the knobs marked out and ready to drill.

rogue076di6.jpg

The holes have all been drilled, and the fan controller is test fit in place. Everything seems look good. You can see how the LED's in the fan controller will show though the hole in the case.

rogue077lp9.jpg

To be continued...

I'm going to get sidetracked for a quick moment here. While working on the face of the case, I thought I'd take a little time to make the holes for the Bulgin switches that will find a home there.

All marked out...

rogue078go3.jpg

rogue079cl9.jpg

Here's the secret to getting great large holes. Only a nice step drill bit will do. They're not exactly cheap, but they're worth every penny spent.

rogue080cj9.jpg

Moving back to the fan controller, this picture shows you a little bit of the problem I've got to work out. The inside frame on the case is in the way. Well, not for long... A few holes and filing will take care of the problem!

rogue081fh4.jpg

rogue082bk6.jpg

More coming soon.

Damn, I'm one of few people here found about this case initially and was going to get this but decided not to. Now you make me wanting to buy this again on top of all these cases that I have but not using at this moment. :)

what a pity. that zalman faceplate would look nice on my sg03. :D hmmm... now to go a lookin for where i can get one for cheap.

AWW! Bye sexy aluminum faceplate... I don't know what you're doing but I trust it'll still be badass... I like how you've kept everything in good condition. When I do things like that, even my drafting work I try to keep everything neat and clean... but SOMETHING always happens haha... You make me feel lazy.

Go ahead.. buy one... you know you want to!

I know I want to for sure. I mean I should have gotten it when it first came out but I checked 1st couple of reviews which were mostly good but there were couple of things that I didn't like which eventually made me not to get it. Now, $$$ is tight since my 3 months old son wil go to daycare in a month or so which costs like $250 per week on top of about $250 I pay for my daughter already. Yeah money will be tight. Money that I have now will have to go towards Q9450 and nice graphics card so for now, I can't. I've gotta talk myself out of it too lol. I got YY-0221, Q-pack, Aopen MATX, P182, Codegen server case, 2 GMC Nobless and maybe couple others that I don't use lol Some of them are to be used soon. I'm think of selling YY-0221, give my brother P182, mod Qpack for me and sell other computer parts that I no longer use so I can afford other parts for main PC. Sucks that older I get less $$$ I have. IF it works out and I get my lazy ass to work AND if my wife allows, I might be finally start modding my 3 yr old Qpack to look about 1/10 as good as your now. lol hell, I'll be satisfied even if it's gonna look 1/100 as good as yours during coming summer. Why summer? Painting sucks during winter time unless you got like heated garage or something. :)

I know I want to for sure. I mean I should have gotten it when it first came out but I checked 1st couple of reviews which were mostly good but there were couple of things that I didn't like which eventually made me not to get it. Now, $$$ is tight since my 3 months old son wil go to daycare in a month or so which costs like $250 per week on top of about $250 I pay for my daughter already. Yeah money will be tight. Money that I have now will have to go towards Q9450 and nice graphics card so for now, I can't. I've gotta talk myself out of it too lol. I got YY-0221, Q-pack, Aopen MATX, P182, Codegen server case, 2 GMC Nobless and maybe couple others that I don't use lol Some of them are to be used soon. I'm think of selling YY-0221, give my brother P182, mod Qpack for me and sell other computer parts that I no longer use so I can afford other parts for main PC. Sucks that older I get less $$$ I have. IF it works out and I get my lazy ass to work AND if my wife allows, I might be finally start modding my 3 yr old Qpack to look about 1/10 as good as your now. lol hell, I'll be satisfied even if it's gonna look 1/100 as good as yours during coming summer. Why summer? Painting sucks during winter time unless you got like heated garage or something. :)

I'd say you do have a few parts laying around... :p I can completely relate to the whole daycare thing. My youngest daughter finally started kindergarten this year. No more daycare bills! Woohoo!

You want it? I don't have a need for it...

:D it's ok. i don't think i have anywhere to put it. it will probably end up on my want to do but have not done yet because still not finished doing something else list. the optical drive takes up my one 5.25" bay, and i'm not a modder at all. i just like to dream. ;p your build sure is inspiring though. been real interested in the rogue lately, but my sg03 is keeping me happy for the moment. it'd be nice to have a touchscreen lcd to go along with it though, but still waiting on how yours turns out.

I'd say you do have a few parts laying around... :p I can completely relate to the whole daycare thing. My youngest daughter finally started kindergarten this year. No more daycare bills! Woohoo!

Not to sidetrack from your great build but good for you. I say FREEDOM!!!! well, somewhat close to it. My daughter will go kindergarten coming September so no more daycare bill for her but I would still have to pay for after care after kindergarten which is still good since it's like $130 per week. After I finish my main PC, I want to get motorcycle again. I know my wife will kill me if I told her that but..... Nothing like sportsbike that I used to ride(I simply can't afford it to be honest lol) but more like maybe 70's CB500 and make it somewhat cafe racer type of motorcycle. I better stop now and let you do work again since I have tendency to write a book when I reply. :D

Although not directly modding related, my new motherboard has arrived... I'm not sure on the processor yet, but I do have two new sticks of 2x2GB Mushkin DDR2 Redline that I'm going to drop in here.

rogue032sq8.jpg

rogue033gm8.jpg

rogue034gf1.jpg

rogue035gu5.jpg

rogue036ye8.jpg

rogue038qv3.jpg

I can't wait to get this thing up and running. The fact that I've now got almost every component I need, only makes me realize that I'm very close to pulling this whole project together. From here on out, I shouldn't have to spend my time picking out parts, and wondering what I yet need or want. I've got to take what I already have, and a find a home for all of it. Only a little over a month to go!

Awesome work there!!! Really makes me want to start modding again.

Since your going for sort of an engine look up top I wonder if you could put the fan wires outside the case and run them back inside in a semi loop. Kind of like spark plug wires. You could probably get some small 3/16, or so, hose to run the wires through.

Just a thought. :)

Awesome work there!!! Really makes me want to start modding again.

Since your going for sort of an engine look up top I wonder if you could put the fan wires outside the case and run them back inside in a semi loop. Kind of like spark plug wires. You could probably get some small 3/16, or so, hose to run the wires through.

Just a thought. :)

Thanks man!

Funny you should mention the wires... I was going to do something exactly like that! After I get the front panel stuff finalized, the top of the case was my next project. :D

Now I really can't wait til its done. :)

Just need to get a .wav file of a big 'ole V8 starting up for when it boots into Windows. :p

I've got just a quick update here. Although I have work to do on the front of the case, I decided to mix it up a little. I started working on the top of the case, and it's associated fan assembly. It's the largest cutting project I have left, and I am anxious to get it out of the way. If you've been following along, you should have seen a mock up earlier in the log. This should have given you some idea of the direction I'm headed.

The first thing I had to do, was get the layout marked on the case's top panel. You can see that there is a small strip missing where the original acrylic window was. I'll fill that in a little later.

rogue089za1.jpg

The final cut is done, and I'm working on cleaning up the edges.

rogue090at6.jpg

All done except for the filler strip.

rogue091kj8.jpg

Okay, so now what? Well, the fans won't actually be sitting in top of the case. They will be sitting in recessed and angled pockets. The next step is to get the pockets made. Here I've marked out a panel, and it's ready to hit the metal brake.

rogue092js3.jpg

All bent!

rogue093jb4.jpg

I can't use the panels as they are, I need to cut the excess aluminum off. Here's one side done.

rogue094cc6.jpg

Now the other side.

rogue095cu4.jpg

That's it for now, but I'll have another updated for you all tomorrow. Stay tuned!

Back