• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Project: PrometheusCu

Water/laser cutters are cool to watch too :D

Pics of the CNC process? ;)
 
@Elledan:
perhaps some "quality" blackberry videos of the router in action coming soon =)

Here you go... the least exciting thing you'll see all year!

Lol, I took this last night late when the machine was just drilling holes.

The quality of the video is below sub-par but I'll take some better shots today when it's light out (I had a spot light balanced on my shoulder for the video below, lol) and when the machine is doing more than drilling holes.

VIDEO

Its not much, but enjoy.
 
Cute? It's actually quite the beast. the machine has a 12'x6' footprint, and it's mostly made of billet aluminum. It's 9yrs old, but a few weeks ago it got a serious overhaul, it got new motors, bearings, bushings, a couple new gears, and a whole new control board - it's been upgraded from a 2.5axis router (left/right and up/down but not both together) to a full 3axis (up/down/left/right no problem, so now I can make complex curves).


I'm sorry for the crappy quality but I left my camera at home when I left to play in the shop for 3days.

I've completed cutting all of these parts:
36"x 36" = 1mm 'Rigid' Aerospace Milspec Carbon
*click for big ~3000px*


I've already programmed and downloaded these to the machine, they will be cut next mon/tues:
36"x 48" = 1.58mm 'Ultra Rigid' Aerospace Milspec Carbon
*click for big ~3000px*



And these will be cut shortly thereafter:
48" x 48" = 2mm copper plate
*click for big ~3000px*


I'll upload the part pics tomorrow when the sun's out and I can get decent pics - CF doesn't photograph easily... sunshine helps a lot.

For now, I give you crappy cell phone pics and videos of the cutting in action. Believe it or not all these years and this is the first time I've actually taken advantage of a cell camera - you'll notice this inexperience in my sideways videos... lol.

First, here are some pics I took of the router a while back:
prometheus-router01.jpg

prometheus-router02.jpg


Photos:
Prometheus-RouterInAction-01.jpg

Prometheus-RouterInAction-02.jpg

Prometheus-RouterInAction-03.jpg

Prometheus-RouterInAction-04.jpg

Prometheus-RouterInAction-05.jpg

Prometheus-RouterInAction-06.jpg


Videos:
VIDEO 2
VIDEO 3
VIDEO 4
VIDEO 5


-


More updates and MUCH BETTER PHOTOS coming soon.
 
I said 'cute' because I'm not too well-versed in more manly terms, being a girl and stuff ;)

Looks like an awesomely useful machine. Definitely jealous that you've got your paws on it :D
 
Glad to see you getting down to the home stretch Jesse. Although, once this worklog is over, I don't know what I'll look for on a daily basis. This has been an epic thread.
 
Here are some preliminary shots of the CF cutouts. I need to recut one of the panels below due to flaws but that's no big deal.
There are still a few pcs left waiting on the router - I forgot them at the shop.

I'll debur the edges over the next couple evenings to ensure a smooth finish.



Without further ado - some teaser shots to whet your pallets:
Prometheus-Carbon-Cutouts-1-01.jpg


Prometheus-Carbon-Cutouts-1-02.jpg


Prometheus-Carbon-Cutouts-1-03.jpg


Prometheus-Carbon-Cutouts-1-04.jpg


Prometheus-Carbon-Cutouts-1-05.jpg


Prometheus-Carbon-Cutouts-1-06.jpg


Prometheus-Carbon-Cutouts-1-07.jpg


Prometheus-Carbon-Cutouts-1-08.jpg


More pics later.
 
Sexy ;)

How much is the carbon fibre costing you so far?
 
Thanks.

The carbon was free, My father owns a Carbon Fiber manufacturing company. Hence the reason why I was able to get my hands on some of the SeaWolf Submarine's armour plating (link, link, link), and the panels above are aerospace grade usually used in planes. I've yet to reveal the panels made from the exact same cut of fabric that was used for EMI shielding on the US presidential helicopter.
 
You really are one lucky person :)

*moves closer to Langer*

Now about some free panels for me...

:p
 
This worklog just turned sexual :eek:

We've got Elledan flirting for carbon fiber and SDMorris is... well... umm... fapping.
Then there's the matter of all this "pallet whetting" and drilling :D

Great job Langer... this is going to be one hell of a build for sure.
 
Your Siren's Song is no good here Elledan. ;) haha


Here's some more pics:


Test fit w/ fans and LEDs:
Prometheus-Carbon-Cutouts-1-09.jpg


Prometheus-Carbon-Cutouts-1-10.jpg


This will be the Aquatube mount... I love my router - these babies fit so snugly together its unreal:
Prometheus-Carbon-Cutouts-1-11.jpg


Example of the SSD mount - they're being held with some double sided tape for the time being:
Prometheus-Carbon-Cutouts-1-13.jpg

Keep in mind the drive bay will be encased with copper - here's a rough preview of the final result:
*click for big*


Heres the new pump mount... this is just an alignment test, there will be spacers and foam later:
Prometheus-Carbon-Cutouts-1-12.jpg
 
Langer, you are very priveledged individual. I am very envious of your talent and your resources. Myself being a machinist, I can appreciate your dedication to exact detail.

With all your talent, why would you limit (used loosely) your original design to one specific Lian-Li case? Your imagination could surely envision something more elaborate!

I did not take the time to read all the comments in your thread (yours I did read), but I get the feeling that money is not your limiting factor. Time may be.

You may have stated this earlier, but what do you do for a living? Just curious.

I am in awe of your carbon fiber work. I would love to get my hands on some of that.

Congrats on your progress so far. I CAN wait for the final product. Good things come to those who wait (I know, Ihave been working on my project for 3 plus years).

If you have time (steal some from sleep), please feel free to check my 'Beast III' worklog.

Steven Noland
 
i can say nothing but SEXY!!!
omg!!! carbon fibre case!!! that is like a dream case for most of us!!!
it looks sexy! itz light! itz good for heat transferring! and itz just incredible!
glad i keep on checking this thread out!

but one question, wouldnt carbon fibre will amplify the noise inside the case?
 
@SDMorris - Sooner than you think. ;)

@Elledan - There, there.

@cheezeit - Thanks mate.

@Stevennoland - Thanks a lot man, high praise from a master like yourself. I've lost many hours to your beast thread - magnificent! The case started out as a simple mod and as sponsorship and popularity grew I felt the need to expand upon the design 100fold to what it's become today. The chassis is called a PC-a60c, I wanted to keep with the 'P' and 'C' initials, that's where PrometheusCu came about. In short, there's no real reason - but I've progressed this far and the final design will all but completely replace or hide everything but the top and the structure.

As for me, I am a student of Vancouver Film School. ...But I tend to do a lot of exciting contractual stuff for experimental interface design - and I've taken the past year off form school to focus on this project as well as a couple exciting contracts (Class starts again for me May 3rd). I develop new ways to interact with things - I've done it all from software, to ATMs, nightclubs, computer interfaces, music videos... If someone is looking to give their target audience/customers an experience to remember; or if they just want greater efficiency in existing systems... I'm their man. ;)

Thanks a lot for the kind words man, I'm a big fan of yours.

@KeymaN - Hahaha, thanks a lot mate. As for noise - the carbon wont have any effect, if anything it will dampen. Besides, I'm using almost a dozen 290cfm Delta fans @60+dB... noise will be uncontrollable.


Below is a little taste of things to come this evening...
I spent all day yesterday and most of today cutting these babies - at the sacrifice of many a 1/8" end mills.

This is just a teaser - I'll post some more later.

Here are the three different kinds of fins that will line the side of the case, from left to right: end fins x4, middle finsx40, support finsx8
Prometheus-Carbon-Cutouts-2-01.jpg

Prometheus-Carbon-Cutouts-2-02.jpg


Here is all 58 fins (a few extra just in case).
Prometheus-Carbon-Cutouts-2-03.jpg

Prometheus-Carbon-Cutouts-2-04.jpg


Remember that keyboard I was modding a while back... I finally got its finishing piece. This is the bottom of the keyboard.
Prometheus-Carbon-Cutouts-2-05.jpg

Prometheus-Carbon-Cutouts-2-06.jpg
 
That carbon in the sun is gorgeous. Looking forward to the finishing touches, as I know you must be as well.
 
I am indeed... more than you could possibly imagine!

You know you're getting too complicated with your design when your 'test fit' takes you an hour to setup...

More teasing below:

This was just a 'quick' mock-up using coat hangers to hold the pins in alignment. The final setup will have additional support below the 'pretty bottom plate' that the fins are slotted into. There will be a piece cut from 8.5mm thick carbon plate in the exact same cutout pattern as the 'pretty bottom plate' that will offer more support for the fins and also more bottom stability.

Enough chit chat... here are the pics:
Prometheus-Carbon-Cutouts-2-07.jpg

Prometheus-Carbon-Cutouts-2-08.jpg

There are 3 different types of fins that will be positioned in specific places in final construction.
Prometheus-Carbon-Cutouts-2-09.jpg

You can see the random order - this was done just to make sure all the fins fir properly... oddly enough a few needed some filing.
Prometheus-Carbon-Cutouts-2-10.jpg

Prometheus-Carbon-Cutouts-2-11.jpg

Prometheus-Carbon-Cutouts-2-12.jpg


Normally I wouldn't share this stage but I've been hounded for more pictures on most of my worklogs for this project. Of course the fins will all be cleaned, filed, polished, and spaced parallel (and illuminated!) when all's said and done... but that comes later.

Tune in soon for more. ;)
 
I thought that I should post some updated sketches showing the final outcome - more or less:
Exploded:
*click for big - 2000x1600*


Assembled:
*click for big - 2000x1600*
 
Wait, as one Canuck to another, is your dad's Carbon Fibre company also Canadian? Just curious. Didn't realize we had such things :D
 
One of largest producers of Carbon Fiber in the world and it's Canadian owned.
The first manufacturing plant was started in Burlington, Ontario about 25years ago. California came next, now there are also plants in China, Germany, and the UK.

Each factory has a different specialty but the coolest stuff - and all the R&D - is done here in Canada.
 
so Langer u r from Vancouver too right? since u r attending Vancouver Film School, thatz y i assume that lol
maybe in the future, like ZMTTocixs has said, we can actually do a meet up some day XD
purpose sharing ideas or u know asking u about how to buy some nice Carbon Fiber without breaking our piggy bank ;)
 
Teaser:
A little taste of the EMI shielding I mentioned before.

These are the left-over bits from the radio/instrumental shielding on the US presidential helicopter. They will be used to shield my portable amp, and my sound-card.
nickel-carbon-01.jpg


nickel-carbon-02.jpg


nickel-carbon-03.jpg


The pics don't show the iridescent quality off this stuff. It almost glows when you put a light on it. I'm no photographer - so excuse the poor lighting and pic quality. One's using overcast light, ones using halogen, and the last is tungsten.

I tried to take pics from different angles showing how it changes but I wasn't overly successful.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
1. No site pimping

2. No referrals/referral links

3. Do not subvert the forum word filters
 
Teaser:
A little taste of the EMI shielding I mentioned before.

These are the left-over bits from the radio/instrumental shielding on the US presidential helicopter. They will be used to shield my portable amp, and my sound-card.
.

Wow, presidential grade shielding for your sound card! :p :D
 
... I'll be using the EM shield here as well.

My portable headphone amp has arrived, just today. It's a Decware ZenHead kit.

I can't wait to get this baby put together... I hope to make my own carbon case for it this week.

Here it is... sort-of
Decware-ZenHead-01.jpg

Decware-ZenHead-02.jpg



If you'll excuse me I have a date with my soldering iron.
 
Progress + Caveat:

First the Progress
Decware-ZenHead-03.jpg

Decware-ZenHead-04.jpg

Decware-ZenHead-05.jpg

Decware-ZenHead-06.jpg


The the Caveat:
Bloody Decware forgot to pack 3x10k resistors!
Ahhh, but as chance has it I have a collection of resistors.
However chance is a real son-of-a-gun - my 10k drawer is empty.
Message sent to Decware requesting expedited replacements - but I'll just take a trip to the hobby shop tomorrow.
 
Looks like you have soldered before ;) Just the sight of such a kit makes me want to break out my own soldering iron again... :D

Nothing special about 10k resistors indeed, but still sloppy that they forgot to include them.
 
Thanks. =)



I got my package from Sidewindercomputers.com. I HIGHLY recommend this eTailer - I made this order at about 10pm on a Sunday evening. Gary, the owner, personally responded via email and thanked me. I then amended the order at about 1am, and again Gary immediately responded with the revised quote. Thanks Gary!

I got my Uber Fans!
Sidewinders said:
Four new Revision C models from Delta's AFB line have arrived!

The AFB1212GHE Revision C Grand High Speed is our newest king of 120mm fans. This dc fan motor provides over 240 cubic feet of air out of a traditional design that has been highly refined and tuned by Delta's fan motor team. Comparisons with our other high end Delta parts show it has modest power requirements for its ability to move so much air out of the standard 120x38 millimeter form factor. It does lack the directional blades which we've all come to know as Delta's patented design, which helps airflow move more consistently straight out of the fan housing. However, as noted in its lower decibel rating, it will also lack the high pitched whine that accompanies directional fin fans. The AFB parts can be undervolted slightly more, but apparently cannot be overvolted as much. For power users adjusting the voltages on these parts, it will be a welcome change.
Delta-Fans-04.jpg

Delta-Fans-01.jpg

Delta-Fans-02.jpg

Delta-Fans-03.jpg

All 6 fans actually hover.
6 in a row run at 19-21dB at min and 67-71dB on MAX (~1 away).
Even at min setting the row throws over 85CFM at any point (~5cm away).
They have a power spike of ~40W and pull 29.4W at 12V
Which means I need to have 270W of power overhead just to turn on my fans, and another 180W to keep 'em running.

The fan controller - the build quality is nothing to write home about but I'll straighten out the components, clean off the acetone, add new heatsinks, and make a new frame.
I went with this controller because it's the only controller -that I could find- that can offer up-to 45Watts per channel.
Most 120mm case fans will draw no-more than about 2-3W - so a low wattage controller will more than do you.
The Delta Fans I'm using however draw 29.4W w/ an on spike as high at 40W so they need more beef!
270w-Fan-Controller-01.jpg

270w-Fan-Controller-02.jpg

270w-Fan-Controller-03.jpg


Also some arctic silver TIM and TIM remover - some of which will be used in this project... most will go elsewhere.
Arctic-Silver-01.jpg


Lastly a free gift from Gary - this little treat which I rather enjoyed because I happen to love little metal machinist rulers. =)
Sidewinders-Free-Gift.jpg
 
Last edited:
how much did that amp kit cost? been looking for one that includes all the stuff ...
 
Back
Top