Project: Plutonium 3

Looks nice, but why two 48 port patch panels? I don't even see that many cables attached...?

I might be able to use that patch panel. Trade?

I may be interested in some fiber, let me get back to ya on Wednesday... Now though Wed is Ron Paul time for me, going to be super busy and away from home most of the time.....

Ockie - look away for a moment.

I added Galaxy 5.0 up and it was something north of $16k. Galaxy 4.75 is a fraction of that, and Plutonium 4 was somewhere in-between.

WHS and its disk management is a huge cost reducer in these multi-drive setups as it does not need $1000+ RAID controllers.

lol don't add it up, most of us who have large arrays don't want to really know how much we spent :D

Yeah, I restored a '69 Charger about 15 years ago and never could bring myself to adding up the receipts.

[LYL]Homer;1032993741 said:
Yeah, I restored a '69 Charger about 15 years ago and never could bring myself to adding up the receipts.

I love that kind of project, but I do have to say, this is more for "work" then play, I use it very hardcore editing video and rendering the video, it serves a purpose... I love archiving tv shows/documentaries......

lol don't add it up, most of us who have large arrays don't want to really know how much we spent :D

If we did, we'd be sulking in the basement next to our rack and suffer from severe depression knowing that we could have bought a dream car or perhaps other fine items in life. :D

If we did, we'd be sulking in the basement next to our rack and suffer from severe depression knowing that we could have bought a dream car or perhaps other fine items in life. :D

I added mine up and it sat on my mind for quite some time. In my work log I talked about buying that street bike for the same price. Well, I think I'm giving up on holding out on that. I've got an appoitment at a dealer today to go look at an 08 R1 and R6. I think I'm going to buy the R6. So that will blow my idea out of a matched Repositorium 1.0.

I added mine up and it sat on my mind for quite some time. In my work log I talked about buying that street bike for the same price. Well, I think I'm giving up on holding out on that. I've got an appoitment at a dealer today to go look at an 08 R1 and R6. I think I'm going to buy the R6. So that will blow my idea out of a matched Repositorium 1.0.

Good luck with the bike, I'll be buying the 09 CBR600RR as soon as it's out. I had the 07 but I was in an accident in may and totaled it. Took a lot of self restraint not to go out and pickup an 08 right away. I love riding :D

I just started riding a year ago. Picked up a 99 CBR 600 to learn with. The more I think about it though, I'll probably go with the R6. I don't need a 1,000cc bike, just more to get introuble with. I've been on an 08 CBR600RR but for some reason, didn't like it. I really really liked the CBR1000RR though but again, just too much bike for me to need.

Nice pick. I'm a big fan of Yamahas.

Good luck with the bike, I'll be buying the 09 CBR600RR as soon as it's out. I had the 07 but I was in an accident in may and totaled it. Took a lot of self restraint not to go out and pickup an 08 right away. I love riding :D

My friend just bought an 08 600RR all dust black, carbon pipes, and the black grafitti kit on it. Looks nice, but just too small of a bike for me. I want a large bike (larger usually = more power too), but my restraint is that I know I will kill myself, lol

I've been riding for bit over 2 years, started with kawi ninja 250R (great begining bike). 1000CC bikes are scary, I think 600-750 is more then enough for street. If you go to the track or stuff then its another story. I have few friends that ride, they have R6 and gsxr 750 both are fun, I still prefer CBR :D Bikes are pretty personal choice, different ppl like different things as long as you have fun riding that's all that matters

Sorry for the thread jack gjvrieze. I got over there and they only had a single R6, which I liked but didn't like enough to cover the extra $2,000 for the limited edition paint jon it had. It was the yellow R6 with the black flames. I decided to go with something I know, and since I already have a CBR600, I went with a CBR1000RR. This is in my garage now:

I splurged a bit, it was around $14K out the door with 5-year warranty and gap insurance. It had exactly 0 miles on it when I took it out the door. It's got 63 now and I love it. Only thing that weirds me out, is the electronic damper. I've never had/used one before and I feel like it fights me in making sharp turns at < 5mph. Have to do some reading and figure out if I can adjust it. Now I just need to hope everything turns out good with my trial on Tuesday for the speeding ticket.

I think im the one who asked how much Repositorium cost.

I have been browsing through your thread and saw that you were using the iStarUSA D-4-B350PL for one of your tuner boxes and you said they used the same backplane as your previous storage server, do you know which model this it? I have caught the storage bug and I am looking at bit more modest setup, only 8 drives and this case with extra backplane would fit my needs. I am also looking at the Norco 8 bay 2U rackmount, but I am not seeing many 2U power supplies.

I have been browsing through your thread and saw that you were using the iStarUSA D-4-B350PL for one of your tuner boxes and you said they used the same backplane as your previous storage server, do you know which model this it? I have caught the storage bug and I am looking at bit more modest setup, only 8 drives and this case with extra backplane would fit my needs. I am also looking at the Norco 8 bay 2U rackmount, but I am not seeing many 2U power supplies.
2u power supply

Yeah, I know they have them, but they seemed to be underpowered for my needs. I have a regular OC Z picked out that is 600 watts and has everything I need. Plus, what I don't like about the Norco 8 bay case is that there isn't a spot to mount a OS drive.

I am thinking about copying Ockie (in part a least) and switching to WHS on Plutonium 4, so I can sell the 1280ML and recoup a good deal of the cost... It is a great card, but I have a ton of bills stacking up and the cheaper I can make the server, the more I can double it in a twin server coming up in the next few months..... Only big problem, that I will have, is that I currently edit off of the Areca raid array, so I will need to find a way to have a fast drive for editing again, prolly go with Raptors again, as that was the best..... The other thing with WHS, is that I hope it can take 4GB of ram completely, as when I render, it uses most of the ram.....

Well, just bought WHS off a member on [h]ard, so I need either 2 Supermicro dumb controllers or the 16 port Adaptec controller... If anyone is interested in my Areca 1280ML, PM me.....

Stay tuned for the next "update"

WHS will see all 4gb of RAM thats how I have mine...too bad its only in 32bit I would load that thing up with RAM and run a shitton of VM's and stuff on it. I have some of my SAS drives and my Perc5 for sale if you want those for editing.

WHS will see all 4gb of RAM thats how I have mine...too bad its only in 32bit I would load that thing up with RAM and run a shitton of VM's and stuff on it.
Sweet deal, I know server is pretty good about ram, so I thought it would be ok!

I have some of my SAS drives and my Perc5 for sale if you want those for editing.
Trying to save money, not spend it dude!!! LOL, I will keep that in mind, but for the moment, selling my 1280ML and paying bills with it, is key....

What parts are you going to have in your WHS setup?

Same as what as it has been, less the Areca, my storage needs are above what one or two raid cards can handle, so it is time to go with something that allows both add and removes in terms of hard drives... No RAID can remove drives, that I have ever heard of... I loved the Areca for video editing, that one is going to hurt, but I am thinking of a couple of Raptors in RAID 0 for editing alone...... I have a 3 drive RAID 0 array in the Sage TV server, so I will edit off of that for the in term...... i record a ton of tv, and it adds up fast, and I fear that I am going to be above the 20 drive limit in the case too quick, if I cannot start to add 1.5TB right now....

hey gjvrieze, not sure if its been posted already but what program do you use to encode into x264?

gjvrieze, been following your thread even before I registered on [H], pretty impressive stuff that you and some of the others have. Hope you don't mind me asking question about your setup. Any comments or ideas will help me for my build.

I have been looking at a solution for my files and for a few client backups. I also cap movies and tv shows like crazy, been keeping the drives offline laying in a box till I need them but it kinda sucks.
So I was looking at hardware raid for at least one box, expensive though :| . But then I was reading that you and Ockie are switching to WHS. I know that raid is not complete protection for your data, but how does WHS behave if it looses a disk? Do you loose the data, or what is the deal? I know with raid that you have a spare disk, but is that the case with WHS? I have been trying to find our some more good info about WHS and how it works, but I cannot seem to find anything. Am I correct though if you use WHS that you can add a disk to the data pool and it will grow? If so that would be nice instead of having to buy 20 drives at a time.

Also does SageTv record from firewire and does it have channel changing capabilities? Seems like a nice setup if it does.

Again sorry for the thread jack, but I want to do something like this :D

dbdawn

WHS protects your data using a RAID1ish feature called data duplication....you select which folder(s) you want protected and it will duplicate that data to another drive. So On my setup If I pulled one of my drives out while is was running I would still have access to my data because I have everything duplicated. If you dont have everything duplicated and you lose a drive you will just lose the data that is not duplicated. Also I know there is nice SageTV plugin for WHS.

Ive been using WHS 24/7 for about a year now and I absolutely love it. I ended up using it on my Phoenix project. And yea Ockie switched his galaxies over to WHS, and now gjvrieze is too. It just makes too much sense. You dont really lose functionality from regular 2k3 You can still set it up as a domain controller, it uses TS Gateway, IIS etc. Its all still there and works but you dont need expensive $1200 Raid Cards to have a massive data pool.

Back