Project: Plutonium 3

As for an update: I decided to run (15) 1TB drives in RAID6, (1) 1TB drive as a hot spare and (4) 750GB 7200.10s in RAID5 for other data... This way I fill my case out with 17TB drives that I already own and will update my backup a little and then down the road, make the transition to larger drives....

I would not buy them over again, given the choice, but I hate the idea of selling off (16) 1TB drives [at a loss] then turning around to buy more drives that I am sure to get at least one or two DOAs..... The firmware bugs are not cool, but I think the issue may have gotten a little blown out of hand, not that many people had the drives with issues, just the version of firmware that was known to cause issues.... Hopefully the 2TB drives will be better from the start.... (I am still a little nervous of the drives, but I do have a good backup plan)

Supposedly there is fixed firmware for affected HDDs, so if you ensure none of your drives have the bad firmware it should be okay, true.

I can understand your reluctancy to swap 16 drives at 99+ bucks each :) I would probably do the same thing in your case. For my company's and my own systems I would be very reluctant to buy any type of Seagate for at least the next 1-2 generations of HDDs from them. So far Samsung and Hitachi have been good to me.

Supposedly there is fixed firmware for affected HDDs, so if you ensure none of your drives have the bad firmware it should be okay, true.
From what I have read, the firmware does in fact take care of the issues, so if mine come out of date, I will flash them, otherwise, run them... The 1.5s seem the worst and mine will not be in raid and just backup, so it should be fine!
I can understand your reluctancy to swap 16 drives at 99+ bucks each :) I would probably do the same thing in your case. For my company's and my own systems I would be very reluctant to buy any type of Seagate for at least the next 1-2 generations of HDDs from them. So far Samsung and Hitachi have been good to me.

This stuff really drives me nuts, how one brand can be great for an entire line (Seagate 7200.10 series) and completely do a one-eighty.... (7200.11) I am not impressed with Samsung as far as RAID goes, but Hitachi seems to be a good drive these days (wish my 1TBs were theirs) I have to say, Seagate's RMA process is my favorite, while WD is my least favorite. The warranty is almost worthless to me, if it takes 3 hours to get an RMA out of the company....

Off subject:

It "sucks" loving tv as much as I do, it is very hard to get and let alone store the capacities of shows that I have, there would be a lot easier hobbies, but every time I get involved in a "new" series (that is, one I have not seen before) and like it, it is great, removes me from life for a little while, which in this day and age, is not bad!
In the last week, I have watched over 50 hours of video, not bad on a normal work week, while working on my RAID array, editing video, and keeping up with winter....

i had WHS for data storage but i do not like that you can only have incrimental backups of client PC.... so here is what I did.

I have a virtual WHS running on Vista Ultimate.... the WHS does incrimental backups of all the client pcs, 3 laptops and the HTPC, also important data on the vista ultimate machine. Therefore if something is deleted off the user share (vista ultimate) i can go back and get it from the virtual WHS.

So i use WHS for imagebased backsups, archiving data and remote access. I use RAID 5 on a highpoint 2220 w/ 4 750gb drive and 1 hotspare and 1 external 750gb that i backup the WHS images to on a weekly basis. I also have a mozy account with 100gb of pics and data that is realtime backed-up for offsite. and BC i am running vista ultimate on my "server" and not WHS i can use the mozy home for $5 a month and not the Mozy Pro.

I noticed that WHS since most apps see it as Server 2003 free programs wont run, they require server licensed software which is much more expensive.... ie AVG, Mozy and such.

I have not found any limitations (yet) to my setup and everything has been running smooth for about 2 months....

i should post a thread here with a worklog (pics) and screen shots..... maybe someday, hope my post provides some ideas for te OP

Orginally posted on AVS on 12-26-08....

Hey, been supper busy:

(1) I decided to still run the 1280ML with the dual quad core server. I am running 14x1TB drives in RAID 5, and it is working out very well... I am now running Sage TV on the file server feeding the 12TB of data and tv from the HDHRs out to 5 clients/extenders, no more cable and no more analog PERIOD!

(2) I just put a 40ft tower up with 3 antennas to feed the HDHRs:
Picture005.jpg

Picture006.jpg

I am grabbing two markets at the moment, La Crosse, WI, and my local market, Rochester/Austin, MN/Mason City, IA. I am hoping to grab some of the Twin Cities market after Feb 2009, but we will see.. I was fighting winter getting the tower this time of year, but I won and the results are pretty good, I am getting channels that I could not touch on the roof with the same antennas.... I am 50ft in air with the top mounted antenna, the lower antenna is at about 43ft....

(3) I have always really like PBS and now I get three digital PBS stations, counting up to 10 PBS channels (counting subs) and 20 channels total, after Feb, I should be a bit higher and some of the other markets will become easier to get....

(4) My RAID array is almost full, so I have been cleaning house and I have almost 1TB of raw tv recordings from back when I had cable, so I am editing and rendering those as quickly as I can stand.. I am back to 400+GB free this morning, so my effort is paying off, no need for new hardware----YET!

(5) The parts from the 10 tuner server are going to my brother's machine, as a P4/1GB of RAM is not cutting it anymore, the analog tuners: I sold 2 thus far and have 2 left to sell... The 2 cable boxes went back to Charter, and I will prolly grab another HDHR soon, I am waiting for the Tech/Pro version to come out..... I am prolly going to need more antennas for the other markets, but I am going to worry about that after Feb, so I can see what my results are with what I have, plus I am sick of tower working on cold days, at least for now:)

Thats fantastic!

Are you combining the output of all the antennas or are they feeding specific HDHR's?

Thats fantastic!

Are you combining the output of all the antennas or are they feeding specific HDHR's?

My signals are so weak that combining the antennas would kill most of my channels.... In the right area, one could prolly combine them.... I have to say that the tower was a huge success, 20 channels now and even more after the analog shutdown....

i had WHS for data storage but i do not like that you can only have incrimental backups of client PC.... so here is what I did.
I have to say, that while WHS is cool, I like the Acronis works with imaged based backups....

I have a virtual WHS running on Vista Ultimate.... the WHS does incrimental backups of all the client pcs, 3 laptops and the HTPC, also important data on the vista ultimate machine. Therefore if something is deleted off the user share (vista ultimate) i can go back and get it from the virtual WHS.

So i use WHS for imagebased backsups, archiving data and remote access. I use RAID 5 on a highpoint 2220 w/ 4 750gb drive and 1 hotspare and 1 external 750gb that i backup the WHS images to on a weekly basis. I also have a mozy account with 100gb of pics and data that is realtime backed-up for offsite. and BC i am running vista ultimate on my "server" and not WHS i can use the mozy home for $5 a month and not the Mozy Pro.

I noticed that WHS since most apps see it as Server 2003 free programs wont run, they require server licensed software which is much more expensive.... ie AVG, Mozy and such.

I have not found any limitations (yet) to my setup and everything has been running smooth for about 2 months....

i should post a thread here with a worklog (pics) and screen shots..... maybe someday, hope my post provides some ideas for te OP

Cool, I would love to see pictures!

Will that tower still work when they cut analog transmissions? Or is it a wireless digital transmission?

thats a huge ass tower.... my wife would kill me... she would rather pay for cable :)

No kidding. I don't think the neighbors and HOA would like it either.

Go get your "Ham" radio license and become a member of ARES (amateur radio emergency services)

Generally under most state laws this would allow you to have a tower if you are licensed and a member of ARES. I would just petition your HOA and let them know that the MAIN reason for the tower is the ability to get outside help during an emergency, where landlines and cell towers don't work.

once you have your radio antenna up I don't think anyone would question a couple more for TV....

NOW if you did do this you should defiantly hold your self responsible for what you have promised!!! this is the only reason I keep my license active and I see it as a civic duty to uphold as I have the ability to do this.

Will that tower still work when they cut analog transmissions? Or is it a wireless digital transmission?
I only record digital, I only even play with analog for DXing, nothing else....

He said that it isn't analogue...
Yup, thanks!
Did he? I missed that part. Thanks.

thats a huge ass tower.... my wife would kill me... she would rather pay for cable :)
Nothing compared to what I want when I get my own place, think 125-150ft! (but in town, I am happy with what I have... I hate paying for cable, it is one thing if it gets used enough, but really all I ever recorded was broadcast networks or History Channel in HD, and that one channel is not worth $50-80/month...

No kidding. I don't think the neighbors and HOA would like it either.
I will never move into an area with a HOA, those things kill any projects that one may want to do in the future!!

Go get your "Ham" radio license and become a member of ARES (amateur radio emergency services)

Generally under most state laws this would allow you to have a tower if you are licensed and a member of ARES. I would just petition your HOA and let them know that the MAIN reason for the tower is the ability to get outside help during an emergency, where landlines and cell towers don't work.

once you have your radio antenna up I don't think anyone would question a couple more for TV....

NOW if you did do this you should defiantly hold your self responsible for what you have promised!!! this is the only reason I keep my license active and I see it as a civic duty to uphold as I have the ability to do this.
Very good idea, but fighting the people in HOAs would REALLY suck!! I am hoping to have time to become a ham soon, just too busy right now....

It's like the satellite dish laws, yes, you can have them, but HOA can make it incredibly difficult to have it and there are other ordinances which they can dump on you. Also, they can have other rules (aka, must not be seen from the street, must be behind home, must be 20' away from home, must be 15' within property, must not exceed x feet, must be a solid mass, must be painted white, must have light, etc).

I live in an HOA and while it sucks, I would throw a shit fit if my neighbor was to install a communications tower like that next to my home.

It's like the satellite dish laws, yes, you can have them, but HOA can make it incredibly difficult to have it and there are other ordinances which they can dump on you. Also, they can have other rules (aka, must not be seen from the street, must be behind home, must be 20' away from home, must be 15' within property, must not exceed x feet, must be a solid mass, must be painted white, must have light, etc).
Another reason/s I want to live in the country, I am not big on neighbors....
I live in an HOA and while it sucks, I would throw a shit fit if my neighbor was to install a communications tower like that next to my home.

Glad that I do not next door to you!!
I really do not care what people do with their property (within reason, if someone put a 1000ft tower where my house would be in the fall line, I would not like it one bit. But in my case it is very hidden from the road, you have to look over the house on the side and from the back street a 55ft tree completely blocks it, so I doubt anyone even noticed it and I right at the point where any taller would have put the neighbors in the theoretical "fall line" but with the height I went, they are golden and with over a cubic yard of concrete (over 4400lbs) it is not going anyway!

I wouldn't. I'd ask to grab a feed from it.

But thats just me. :D

Back