Project: Galaxy 4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, so I was contemplating if I should go with the HX or the S12, the S12 600w was only 20 more than the HX 520, but offered much more in performance... the HX620 was 20 more than the s12.

I like the HX's cables and warranty, I must admit, that is really cool... however, the HX is a rebagged S12 in desguise from what it looks like and from what I read.... and the S12 has the most awards for the silent sectors (SPCR's ratings).... so it looked promising.

So guess what I got?

Yep, two 600w S12's.

There is one thing I must mention... HOLY SHIT these things are quite!! You litterally can't hear it, the only thing you hear is the swooshing of air running through if you stuck your ear right up against it!!! :eek: Incredible.

So the silence front is a huge sucess, this PSU combined with these fans are INCREDIBLE.... wow.. you don't hear the machine.. period. My wife asked me "did you turn it on yet?" when it was running as we were in a silent room. Wowsers.. I didn't think i'd get so happy from a darn psu :)

Running 30 drives with no noise is almost going to be orgasmic :)

He likes me better, EnderW :p

Did you get your bracket? What do they look like mounted? Do you have a "turn both on at once" harness?

Ockie said:
That was one fan I was seriously considering, but I haven't heard much of them in terms of personal word of mouth reviews.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Enermax Marathon Enobal fans as a good fan :)

EDIT: Update, I just went ahead with the Enermax Enobal fans and some black fan grills to boot :) I took Bbq's advice on the store (Jab-Tech.com), so thanks! :D

i won some of these fans from enermax, they seem to get the job done, not the best of airflow, but def quiet

Wow. You didnt go with PC&P again huh? Hope those PSU's work out for ya.

Alcuin and I got my case REALLY quiet! Its not quiet "Ockie" quiet, but its pretty darn good.

unhappy_mage said:
He likes me better, EnderW :p

Did you get your bracket? What do they look like mounted? Do you have a "turn both on at once" harness?

Nope, don't have the bracket in. I was told by FrozenCPU that these brackets are not included with these cases yet and that it would need to be ordered seperatley and will take 2-3 weeks to get in roughly.

I'm thinking of shooting lian-li an email right now asking if they can sell the brackets directly. I'm assuming that the bracket will come with the dual psu harness turn on cable.

vice said:
Nice work.

What do you use all these drives for? Storage? Work?

This subject was covered under the galaxy 3.0 thread :)

Ockie said:
O 'RLY? Where do you work? I also work in Troy

I am the Admin for CBR
haha what a small world, I skipped through most of the thread after I saw ockie worked in troy, now to see you work in troy to that is crazy. I work off of stephenson highway at fifteen mile!

Ockie said:
Nope, don't have the bracket in. I was told by FrozenCPU that these brackets are not included with these cases yet and that it would need to be ordered seperatley and will take 2-3 weeks to get in roughly.

I'm thinking of shooting lian-li an email right now asking if they can sell the brackets directly. I'm assuming that the bracket will come with the dual psu harness turn on cable.

This subject was covered under the galaxy 3.0 thread :)
get backplane yet !? :D

MonsterEnergy said:
haha what a small world, I skipped through most of the thread after I saw ockie worked in troy, now to see you work in troy to that is crazy. I work off of stephenson highway at fifteen mile!

lol. I live in Flint, and am in troy usually like once a week to visit a friend who works at Tacom. Oh, and Ockie and I hang out every once in a while too.. Even though now that he's married he's never around anymore. :(

Astrogiblet said:
Oh, and Ockie and I hang out every once in a while too.. Even though now that he's married he's never around anymore. :(

Yeah, happens to the best of us now and then! ;) My significant other cuts into my computer/testosterone time too, but I love her so much it's OK.

Yea.. I should stop associating myself with the word "flint" as flint is this poor, dirty ass town about 10 miles north of me with the 3rd highest crime rate in the country. I live in this smaller, rich, suburb of flint with the most police per square mile of any town in my city/possibly my state and a terribly low crime rate. But its easier to just say I live in Flint.

MonsterEnergy said:

Lucky you, you are close to microcenter. Btw, what company do you work for?

codegrinder said:
get backplane yet !?

Nope. If anyone sees this backplate for sale thats listed on a site written in english, please let me know... I need one pronto.

UPDATE:

My drive cages are expected to arrive on friday and the rest of the fans probably today or tomorrow.

Lucky you, you are close to microcenter. Btw, what company do you work for?
I work for beaumont hospital, our information services/technology center is at stephenson and fifteen mile, rather than having multiples at each hospital.

edit: microcenter is awesome, I was just there yesterday during my lunch break. You can find some sweet stuff there if you ask the right people. I needed a cheap replacement board for an old machine, something that was a socket 478 and supported ddr400. They had a full atx board for 19$ (nib). Doesnt get much cheaper than that :)

Cool beans!

Update:

Board has been selected, ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe Wireless edition. I chose this board for two reasons, I needed a board with at least one 4x pcie slot and I already have this one on hand being donated from my main machine.

Ordering the processor, X2 4200+ 65w, and the memory XMS2 1GB Kit today.

Pictures are soon to follow.

Astrogiblet said:
4200 instead, nice! Your server is as fast as my gaming machine. I'm disgusted.

Same price at the moment, so why not? ;)

Yea, true man.I dont think I have the low power consumption version though.. lol.

So technically, your CPU is better.

Man, they have dropped in price so much. I think I payed $250 for my 4200 like what, 2 months ago?

Picture Update :)

Alright the fan grills and the 80mm silence fans are in! I chose black grills... and I think you guys will agree why I did:

Grills and fans installed. This is with the Gigabyte Dual opteron board setup:

M2N32-SLI Deluxe Wireless Edition Board installed... PHASE 2 nearly completed!

Waiting on the processor and memory... oh and the drive cages (they have been prewired already :)

Interior shot:

Lookin nice man! So shiny! You are using one of the most top of the line AM2 motherboards in your server. That is awesome.

I have a question though: With that much drive capacity, are you going to miss the 64 bit PCI capability of the SATA cards? I see the cards are seated with PCB pins showing, so I was wondering if you had any qualms about throughput. Although, I suppose that as long as the total throughput doesn't break it it'll be OK. It just scares me that you have that much space to funnel through a 33 MHz 32 bit PCI slot system....

Perhaps I worry too much??? :(

brasherman said:
It just scares me that you have that much space to funnel through a 33 MHz 32 bit PCI slot system....
I'd want it to be on pci-x or pci express too, but 32/33 pci is still 120 MB/s. That's not bad ;)

brasherman said:
I have a question though: With that much drive capacity, are you going to miss the 64 bit PCI capability of the SATA cards? I see the cards are seated with PCB pins showing, so I was wondering if you had any qualms about throughput. Although, I suppose that as long as the total throughput doesn't break it it'll be OK. It just scares me that you have that much space to funnel through a 33 MHz 32 bit PCI slot system....

Perhaps I worry too much??? :(

Well this was a temporary solution as mentioned in Phase 2. On phase 3, I will replace the two pci-x controllers running on a generic pci slot to two 16 port PCIe 4x cards.

So as for right now, this is a temprorary setup... this was the entire goal of the phases, so they can phase into the next upgrade path with minimal expenses right up front (gives me time to sell some of the hardware and move up to the next phase)

That server looks hideous. Tell you what, once you get that all finished up, send it to me. Hell, I live in WI and can drive over (be cheaper then sending it through FedEx or *shudders* UPS) and pick it up.

Heh, i'll do you a favor, instead of making you drive all that distance, i'll go pick it up on my lunch break, its not more than a 10 minute drive. ;)

MonsterEnergy said:
Heh, i'll do you a favor, instead of making you drive all that distance, i'll go pick it up on my lunch break, its not more than a 10 minute drive. ;)

You wouldn't dare :p

Update:

First booting sucessful. System ran incredibly nice... and must I mention it's friggin SILENT... wait.. it makes NO noise.. and cool n quite is not even switched on... HELL YEAH!

Ockie said:
Update:

First booting sucessful. System ran incredibly nice... and must I mention it's friggin SILENT... wait.. it makes NO noise.. and cool n quite is not even switched on... HELL YEAH!
What cpu cooler did you use?

Ockie said:
Update:

Man! To tell you some background on this post, he posted this after bitching me out for 5 minutes because the CPU heatsink I provided him had a fan that was "too loud" even though I couldnt hear it standing up. I literally had to bend over, and put my ear directly next to the opening to hear the CPU fan, and he was complaining! lol. Jokingly of course, but still!

Without that CPU fan, it does, literally, make NO NOISE what so ever. Its amazing, I didnt think this was possible, and not to mention, putting my hand behind the case it moved a LOT of air. I mean a LOT, and you couldnt hear the fans running. It baffled me.

The CPU cooler he used was the one I provided him with the 4200+ x2 I traded him. Its the stock block style heatsink that comes with the AM2 dual cores. Its not the nice heatpipe heatsink that comes with the 939 dual cores.

Did you put the drives in yet? That much drives will make a fair bit of noise I would think. Not to mention the fans of the hot swappers?

Also, with those Seasonics doesn't the fan only kick in under load? That will add extra noise too when the drives are sucking juice from them.

I'm curious to hear about the noise level with all drives inside!!

bubbles said:
Did you put the drives in yet? That much drives will make a fair bit of noise I would think. Not to mention the fans of the hot swappers?

Also, with those Seasonics doesn't the fan only kick in under load? That will add extra noise too when the drives are sucking juice from them.

I'm curious to hear about the noise level with all drives inside!!

He doesnt get the drive bays until tomorrow. He's pretty worried about the drive bay fan's noise, as that will be hard to mod.

He's got one of the seasonics running right now, and its friggin silent. I'm imagining that the only thing you will hear is the noise from all the 30 heads seeking on the hard drives! haha.

codegrinder said:
the hotswap bay that he is getting is actually pretty quiet.

Yea, but what about 6 of them? And your severely mis-interpreting Ockie's VERY high standards! :p

He wants this thing DEAD silent. lol.

well they may be noiser with 6 of them hehe. my "1" is pretty quiet. the hard drives are the loudest thing in my rig.

Yeah they should be fairly quite, but a quick swap of the fans with similar cfm rated silence fans should make a huge noise diffrence.... the only thing I want to hear are the drives reading :D

Anyways, as of right now I'm extremley excited and happy with this setup, I cant wait till the end of today! I will keep you guys updated with pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back