Project: Galaxy 4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't waste your money on silenx. They are nowhere near what they're rated for. They claim 90cfm and 14 db, for merely $30 per fan. No fucking way. Don't waste your money. www.jab-tech.com buy the Yate Loon D12SL12. Very quiet, rated properly, individually balanced fans with no squeeking, scraping, scratching, rubbing, ticking. MUCH nicer than a silenx.

Bbq said:
Don't waste your money on silenx. They are nowhere near what they're rated for. They claim 90cfm and 14 db, for merely $30 per fan. No fucking way. Don't waste your money. www.jab-tech.com buy the Yate Loon D12SL12. Very quiet, rated properly, individually balanced fans with no squeeking, scraping, scratching, rubbing, ticking. MUCH nicer than a silenx.
id have to agress with him. The Yate loon's are very quiet and stable. im going to upgrade my fans soon enuff :)

I also agree with Bbq. I have a yate loon stock intel hsf and a Seasonic S12 600watt PSU. The PSU is very quiet and has decent amps across the board. The Yate loon is very quiet and the HSF is medium in my books. Of everything the hdd is the loudest part in the rig.

I am not sure about the noise level but if you want quality in a PSU Silverstone has really kicked up their game lately and Zippy is always an awesome choice.

Just to throw my 2 cents in...

I agree with the others that SilenX aren't worth the cash. They're quiet but they don't move a lot of air. I've heard good things about Yate Loons, but I've never used them. I have however used the Nexus Really Quiet Fans (yes, that's their product name) and they are quiet while moving a decent amount of air.

I personally have a Seasonic S12 500W and a S12 430W unit and they are very quiet with solid voltage. I highly recommend them.

silentpcreview is a great site for silent hardware info.

Finally, why not RAID 5? With 30 drives you'd lose the capacity of 1 drive (29 drive capacity), or if you elect to use a drive as a hot spare, you'd lose the capacity of 2 drives. The upside being that you could lose any one drive without loss of data.

The Nexus R.S.F fans are very, very quiet. They are really Yate Loon D12SL12's with an additional resistor, then each blade is individually balanced. Think of it as a handpicked yate with another resistor. And a 5x increase in price. Very quiet still.

What about the Scythe S-Flex Fan - SFF21D's? 8.7 Dba, only a couple cfm below the Yate Loons.

Damn I'm so torn on which fan to buy now. Also, any word on the sharkoo fans?

TriXje said:
cmon Ockie we want pics :D

you asked for it :)

more coming later. i didn't take a picture of the box with the digicam, but i do have it on a film can :)

here she is:

So I decided to go with the Scythe S-Flex Fan - SFF21D's, they seem reasonably good and super duper silent (8.7db), so I will try them out later tonight and take pics. Now I just need to find a pair of 80x25, and 6 80x20 or 80x15's

wow that case is massive! very clean though, glad lian li kept the aesthetics the same

Cannot wait to hear your opinion on these fans, no pun intended. I am really sorry about your problem with performance-pcs. I just bought some sleeving from them and that went well but what happened to you is just wrong.

Tim

Agreed. I haven't bought from them yet, and I won't now. Just blew another $600 at the egg, too bad it wasn't mine to keep.

Please let us know on the fans. I like quiet, and these look to fit the bill.

Cpt Twitchy said:
Cannot wait to hear your opinion on these fans, no pun intended. I am really sorry about your problem with performance-pcs. I just bought some sleeving from them and that went well but what happened to you is just wrong.

Tim

I will keep you updated, I'm going into this as a Sound Nazi so hopefully the only whining you are going to hear is from me :)

Yeah, it's sad that such a cheap and simple part could be the loss of a good customer, I've never had problems with them in the past so it absolutley blew me away on how they treated the situation this time. All I wanted was an apology or something in the lines of "We are sorry that the website didn't explicidly say that the bracket wasn't included and it was an error on our behalf, however, this is a barebones case, but to make things right, we can offer you free shipping on your next purchase or we can offer you a x% coupon valid for future purchases or we can try to locate this bracket to you and send it to you at cost"... really anything would have save the relationship... but telling me instead "too bad" is pretty crude.

brasherman said:
Agreed. I haven't bought from them yet, and I won't now. Just blew another $600 at the egg, too bad it wasn't mine to keep.

Please let us know on the fans. I like quiet, and these look to fit the bill.

Will do. I'm having high hopes in these fans, they are advertised at 33.6CFM @ 800rpms @ 8.7dba... so it should be pretty darn silent.

Ockie said:
Will do. I'm having high hopes in these fans, they are advertised at 33.6CFM @ 800rpms @ 8.7dba... so it should be pretty darn silent.
They seem like nice fans. I hope they keep it nice and cool. Hopfully you can get that plate for your dual power supplies. BTW, thanks for the pictures :)

Yeah that is bs at performance-pcs, sorry to hear from your poor customer experience...the old saying is that if you have a poor experience from a company that you will tell 8 people and those people will tell 8 others, and so on, same with a good experience. I have a story about my dad, he went to the same liquor store for 20 some years and has probably ordered over 200 kegs from them, and a couple months ago he went in and they were out of 24 case packs of his beer, so he asked if he could take 2 12 packs for the same price, and this kid of the owner said no, because they would be losing money on the deal (Like $1). Before this he went just to keep them in business, even though that stuff was there more expensive than super markets and other places. So he gave them the big F U and stopped going there. Goes to show, that the little things can make a big difference.

filthysanchez said:
those some of the hard drives on the left?

Yeah, that be some of the drives going into there :)

Stu55 said:
Yeah that is bs at performance-pcs, sorry to hear from your poor customer experience...the old saying is that if you have a poor experience from a company that you will tell 8 people and those people will tell 8 others, and so on, same with a good experience. I have a story about my dad, he went to the same liquor store for 20 some years and has probably ordered over 200 kegs from them, and a couple months ago he went in and they were out of 24 case packs of his beer, so he asked if he could take 2 12 packs for the same price, and this kid of the owner said no, because they would be losing money on the deal (Like $1). Before this he went just to keep them in business, even though that stuff was there more expensive than super markets and other places. So he gave them the big F U and stopped going there. Goes to show, that the little things can make a big difference.

Exactly. There is this story circulating here on this old guy who goes to a deli shop, for years upon years, every single day he came in and ordered a sandwich, since day one he always asked for extra pickle. The owner at the time figured what is one pickle worth for a loyal customer, so he never charged the guy. So the guy came in and in again day after day recieving his meal with the free extra pickle which made him a happy man. Well the owners changed hands and the business was sold to a younger owner... so when this old man returned the following day, it was under the supervision of the new owner, the old guy didn't recieve his pickle with his sandwich; kinda confused, the old guy went up to the counter and asked if he could get a pickle with his sandwich... the new owner replied "that would be 50 cents for extra pickle", the guy pleaded and the owner insisted for 50 cents. So the guy left and never returned.

It's honestly sad that a business wont recognize any of their customers loyalty and make concessions to make those happy, even if they couldn't "give me" the plate, there was other things that could have made me a happy customer, for starters being nice and appologizing. For instance, I would have ordered all my fans from them today had they been kind.

-(Xyphox)- said:
wow talk about some nice gear, Where in MI you at?

Bloomfield Hills.

As I read more of what you said about the situation I really agree. I believe that in retail/customer service ones main job is to please the customer within reason. Sometimes if you take a hit here it will coem back to you in the future. I have a story aswell.

One of my fathers friends opened up a machine shop and boaeing came to him and asked for them to mill a square piece which was complicated and very expensive to machine. The max Boeing would pay ment that he would have to take a loss. He took the job when no one else was willing to for such a low price and in the future Boeing came back to him for more machine work. He now has a very successful Machine/CNC shop.

:cool:
Tim

-(Xyphox)- said:
Very Cool, i work in Troy, live near Port Huron...
Awesome gear btw :D

O 'RLY? Where do you work? I also work in Troy :)

Cpt Twitchy said:
As I read more of what you said about the situation I really agree. I believe that in retail/customer service ones main job is to please the customer within reason. Sometimes if you take a hit here it will coem back to you in the future. I have a story aswell.

One of my fathers friends opened up a machine shop and boaeing came to him and asked for them to mill a square piece which was complicated and very expensive to machine. The max Boeing would pay ment that he would have to take a loss. He took the job when no one else was willing to for such a low price and in the future Boeing came back to him for more machine work. He now has a very successful Machine/CNC shop.

Tim

It's those little things you do that comes with a nice big payback.

Yay for galaxy 4.0. I still gotta come to your new apartment man!

If you need help building galaxy 4.0.. .:D

Yea I'm wondering that as well..

Old galaxy started off as 10tb right? Then it slowly fell down to like 5-7.. So whats the new one gonna be? 15? 20?

With 30 drives max he could do is 22,500 gigs (essentially 22 and a half terra's), with all 750GB Drives.. but that would be $12,000 just in hard drives @ $400 a drive lol!

Astrogiblet said:
Yea I'm wondering that as well..

Old galaxy started off as 10tb right? Then it slowly fell down to like 5-7.. So whats the new one gonna be? 15? 20?

With 30 drives max he could do is 22,500 gigs (essentially 22 and a half terra's), with all 750GB Drives.. but that would be $12,000 just in hard drives @ $400 a drive lol!

that's just sick to think about

Update: I am almost ready to purchase the drive hot swap units, but right now I'm torn on which 80mm fan to purchase.

I already have the Scythe 8.9dba 120mm fans, however, I need two 80mm fans for the rear of the case.

This is what I can find:

http://www.coolerguys.com/840556026105.html
http://www.jab-tech.com/Enermax-Marathon-UC-8-EB-pr-3505.html
http://www.coolerguys.com/840556054054.html
http://www.crazypc.com/products/5661.html
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/5...M_iXtrema_Pro_Fan_IXP-54-09.html?tl=g36c15s58

Just dont get the SilenX they lie about their dBA and cfm im running a 30 dBA 80cfm 120mm fan and its almost the same noise level of the SilenX 120mm fan and only cost me $6 dollars.

Ockie said:
I will keep you updated, I'm going into this as a Sound Nazi so hopefully the only whining you are going to hear is from me :)

Yeah, it's sad that such a cheap and simple part could be the loss of a good customer, I've never had problems with them in the past so it absolutley blew me away on how they treated the situation this time. All I wanted was an apology or something in the lines of "We are sorry that the website didn't explicidly say that the bracket wasn't included and it was an error on our behalf, however, this is a barebones case, but to make things right, we can offer you free shipping on your next purchase or we can offer you a x% coupon valid for future purchases or we can try to locate this bracket to you and send it to you at cost"... really anything would have save the relationship... but telling me instead "too bad" is pretty crude.

Wow, sucks to hear about your troubles, sucks when you hit a snag over something that seems so inconsequential. Can't wait to see the finished product. And performance-pcs is definitely filled away on my no-buy list (especially when I ran into the exact same situation with a huge case I bought from calpc, when I pointed out the missing adapter, they fedex'd one out at no cost.)

The hotswap bays has just been ordered, 6 of them, which gives a 30 drive loading capacity on the front alone :eek:

I went with these units this time around:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817995001

Comes with locking sata cables and a fan speed adjuster with built in functionalities :cool: First thing I'm going to do is hunt down silent fans for these babies and slap them in :)

Duster said:
Have you looked at some Nexus fans?

I have read some good things about them when undervolted.

http://www.bestbyteinc.com/All_Prod..._Real_Silent_Case_Fan/Page_1/FAN-NEX-80L.html

Also check out http://www.silentpcreview.com/

That was one fan I was seriously considering, but I haven't heard much of them in terms of personal word of mouth reviews.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Enermax Marathon Enobal fans as a good fan :)

EDIT: Update, I just went ahead with the Enermax Enobal fans and some black fan grills to boot :) I took Bbq's advice on the store (Jab-Tech.com), so thanks! :D

Ockie said:
That was one fan I was seriously considering, but I haven't heard much of them in terms of personal word of mouth reviews.
You must not have even been to the forums at SPCR.
These are highly recommended over there and are widely known as THE fan to get.

edit: I was referring to the 120mm version, unsure about the 80mm one.

EnderW said:
You must not have even been to the forums at SPCR.
These are highly recommended over there and are widely known as THE fan to get.

edit: I was referring to the 120mm version, unsure about the 80mm one.

I was referring to the 80mm :) I hear the 120's are good though.

Anywyas, I'm all set on fans, now it's just the last purchase... the power supplies... and then phase 1 will be complete :)

I'm thinking of taking your advice EnderW and look at the corsair HX series as they are basically rebagged seasonics with better and cooler things such as the nice warranty and better name/support.

Now the question is if I should go with the 520's or the 620's.... whats your advice? I think dual 520's should suffice for this machine.

Not to beat a dead horse, but, It sounds like you only dealt with one person over at perfPC's. Did you ever get a manager invovled? maybe that guy was just an ass and should be fired. Not to defend them, but if you have had a good relationship with them in the past, seems like it may be worth giving them a chance to fix it. Perhapse you could save many other from having the same issue by reporting that guy.

sFanky said:
Not to beat a dead horse, but, It sounds like you only dealt with one person over at perfPC's. Did you ever get a manager invovled? maybe that guy was just an ass and should be fired. Not to defend them, but if you have had a good relationship with them in the past, seems like it may be worth giving them a chance to fix it. Perhapse you could save many other from having the same issue by reporting that guy.

I agree with this, however, if the company hires asshats, then they should be prepared to lose business. Also, I left feedback on reseller ratings, so if they feel as if they would like to correct the situation and make things right, then they are free to contact me... but until then, I do not feel that I should do more than I already have to fix the problem, the ball is in their court. Perhaps I'm being a little negative now, however this is a compeditive industry, if your store cant make customers happy, their mouse pointers will simply click on a diffrent url ;)

Ockie said:
I was referring to the 80mm :) I hear the 120's are good though.

Anywyas, I'm all set on fans, now it's just the last purchase... the power supplies... and then phase 1 will be complete :)

I'm thinking of taking your advice EnderW and look at the corsair HX series as they are basically rebagged seasonics with better and cooler things such as the nice warranty and better name/support.

Now the question is if I should go with the 520's or the 620's.... whats your advice? I think dual 520's should suffice for this machine.
I agree the two 520's should be fine.
Also want to reiterate how much I like this PSU.
It's quiet, very cool air coming from the back, no problems with it whatsoever, awesome cables - very nice product.

these go in sideways in your case then? thinking about ordering 1.

Ockie said:
The hotswap bays has just been ordered, 6 of them, which gives a 30 drive loading capacity on the front alone :eek:

I went with these units this time around:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817995001

Comes with locking sata cables and a fan speed adjuster with built in functionalities :cool: First thing I'm going to do is hunt down silent fans for these babies and slap them in :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back