Project: Feeding Frenzy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry for not responding more, but I'm using the library computer and don't have any picture accessibility for about another week or so. The best project name IMHO should come from an idea that you wish to represent in the mod. F.I. "Feeding Frenzy" came from a comment on this board about how everytime some Aqua Computer gear made it to this country there was a feeding frenzy to get the best morsels.

FF is getting a total makeover with a new PSU, water blocks, pumps, G 1/4 Aqatubes, motherboard, and GPU cards. The aformentioned stuff got thrown into my work computer which should be up in a separate project in a week or so. :D

Hey TN, good to see you're back! Every time someone resurrected this thread they would get my hopes up that you had returned to it. I almost didn't click on it this time as the disappointment was getting to me, but I'm glad I did now! I'm looking forward to seeing what the renewed attention to this mod will bring us.

I managed to salvage some FF stuff for my new work box. Give me a few days to program it and I will put up a new work log as it finally got wet last night and now I have a box to talk on. :)

FF is getting more Aqua Computer (AC) goodness in the way of a Cuplex XT with a G 1/4 spigot (I'm thinking of shiny silver ;) ) I think the required GPU's pump will be a DDC variant of some type coupled to an AC Poweradjust. There will be an Aquastream pump for the HD circuit. CPU, Mosfet, and chipset circuit will also probably also be another DDC. Of course the DDC's will have the cool plexi tops on them.

While I shake my head at you for not finishing FF and taking almost 3 years!
I am happy to see you are still around!

This new box had better have a start and a FINISH! :p

Keep it up TN and start a new thread.

So after gutting FF for FFI I have been shopping around for a new board for FF. What do you all think about this CROSSHAIR board made by ASUS? Any known problems with the NB or from ripping out the heat pipes for water cooling?

13-131-593-04.jpg

I also decided to get another PCP&C power supply in the form of a Silencer 750 Quad (the 510 SLI went into the FFI project) as it puts out 60 amps and is whisper quiet. :D

I think that is a good choice and i have not seen any problems with water cooling the nb, but i suspect that you will be water cooling the mosfets on the mobo?

I think that is a good choice and i have not seen any problems with water cooling the nb, but i suspect that you will be water cooling the mosfets on the mobo?

Everything will be water cooled unless I can get by with some homemade heatsinks epoxied to the chips. Definitely the NB and SB and anything else that gets toasty. ;)

The front HD loop will not probably change much at all unless I decide to use Aquadrives. The GPU loop will have the case opened up for a 240 sized radiator, DDC pump, Aquadjust pump controller, and perhaps some suitably modified silver TwinPlex XT for GPU coolers. The main CPU and motherboard coolers will be silver G 1/4 units also with the aforementioned DDC stuff. There will be G 1/4 Aquatubes used in the CPU and GPU circuits along with all the icing like Tubemeters and Aquajets. Expect to also see a Multiswitch with the Aquaero.

As mentioned earlier I am going with the ASUS Crosshair board and a PCP&C Silencer 750 Quad power supply.

The board is a good board, but it does seem a bit excessivly over the top expensive. Maybe re-consider?

The board is a good board, but it does seem a bit excessivly over the top expensive. Maybe re-consider?

Isn't Feeding Frenzy way over the top anyway? ;) So what did you have in mind? I want rock solid performance...

BTW, did you notice my new use for the Aqua Computer Multi-Tool a ways back? :D

I looked at this board and I was enthused about the 9 SATA connectors, but there is only one (1) SATA connector on the back panel. It also cost a lot more moula at $270 :(

1207_l.jpg

The Crosshair board has two SATA connectors on the back panel for a nice external RAID 1 setup for documents.

13-131-593-07.jpg

it IS about over the top, but $249? Dammmnnnnnnn.
I love the new use for the multi tool; I wish I could get one up here in the great white north, the things that i can do with it..

As for a board, if you can live with a slightly lesser board, with less sata, nowhere near as many features, but much cheaper, this should still be fine.

Then again, since FF is all about excessive over the top 1up-man-ship, might as well go with this; 2 socket 1207 FX's, 4 pci-e, 12 sata. Pair it up with two FX processors..

That's the AMD Route, which is the way it seems to be going; If you reconsider to Intel, you could have a mountain of boards to pick from, faster cpu's, quad cores, for less money.

Also, I bought a motorcycle

Nice bike! Your dog?

I got this thing about Intel. The last Intel CPU I had was a 386DX-25 IIRC. I have been AMD all the way since the late 80's.

The board that went in FFI (A8N-SLI Deluxe) cost about $225 new when I bought it in June 2005.

BTW, weren't you a winner of "The Great AC Multi-Tool Contest"?

Not my dog, nor motorcycle stand (the stand is made for a honda cbr1100xx super blackbird). The toyota tundra isn't mine, either.

Wow. The good ol days of socket 939. I'd be lucky to get 60 out of my a8n :(

As for winning the Great AC Multi-tool contest, unfortunatly not.

Most useful: Derrick70 (using the hole in the middle for the tubing)
Most artistic: LadyMakoFox (earrings)
Most obscure: Madmat (there to make you ask questions)
Most imaginative: mastanives (bridge stick for pool)
Top Nurse's pick: Mystarae and Bellacroix

As for winning the Great AC Multi-tool contest, unfortunatly not.

Most useful: Derrick70 (using the hole in the middle for the tubing)
Most artistic: LadyMakoFox (earrings)
Most obscure: Madmat (there to make you ask questions)
Most imaginative: mastanives (bridge stick for pool)
Top Nurse's pick: Mystarae and Bellacroix

You sure about that? I think you were a winner... Have to go back and look at that thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back