Project: Feeding Frenzy

Status
Not open for further replies.
OMFG, this is amazing. I wish i only had the money you have and i would do nice custom mods like yours. I might make $10 an hour for a 16year old and have no bills. But i still dont have that kind of money. What has this cost you total so far. You dont have to answer this question.

Nice work. :)

it's obsolete now :(

well not really but wow, this was really here puppy. She's probably just as sad as some of u.

I think TN will come back and kick all our asses for doubting her, and then proceed with this kickass mod...RL sucks sometimes, but comes first...

Maybe she was waiting for the Conroe stuff to come out, which means she'd need to buy a new mobo & processor, maybe even another PSU who knows... Maybe some high-speed secret squirrel German watercooling parts are coming out soon, which mean's she'd probably need to re-do her whole loop, or repurchase more components, who knows.

But with the hardware that's come out since this project started has been pretty good indeed. Either way, this project is gonna cost alot more now.

.....i think?

it's fun to speculate huh?

think of this though...her whole setup was built on a "now" somewhat obsolete foundation. Not sure how much of the stuff purchased is interchangeable with today's cpu/mobo's but it can't be a good feeling to know that any additional work on this project will be outdated. My opinion of course on what it could be....

I give her mucho credit though, she spawned many other threads where attention to detail makes for very nice informative discussions.

C'mon, guys, lets let this poor thread rest peacefully, before it gets locked. As MajorDomo once said, "Merely keeping this thread alive won't be enough.....that would probably be considered spam and get it closed. If it dies, it dies. It can always be revived at the proper time when needed."

tylerdustin2008 said:
OMFG, this is amazing. I wish i only had the money you have and i would do nice custom mods like yours. I might make $10 an hour for a 16year old and have no bills. But i still dont have that kind of money. What has this cost you total so far. You dont have to answer this question.

Nice work. :)

Thanks for the nice nice :)

It was enough for a nice down payment on a nice car. :eek:

Been thinking of pulling it out again and start wiring. The wiring part was getting me down as it wasn't turning out as I had envisioned. However, my need for speed is starting up again and I think I will start snapping pics in about two weeks. And no...it won't be a trick, but a real treat. :D

Oh please, oh please, come back and finish this thing, TN! I always loved the way you show up all us 'boyz' with your modding skills!

Stick with it on the wiring...just grab your soldering iron and start pluggin away at it. You've put too much work into it (and too much of the stuff for that down payment on the nice car) to let this die!

And, as always, great work so far!

Okay, give me a few days to make some more scoots and I will take a journey down to PCP&C and see if they will do some custom wiring for me.

OMG.. she posts! :D

BTW- It's coming up on 1 full year since the last pics were posted to this thread.. lol. 3/22/2006. got any new ones? what hardware (mobo and such) are you playing with now? same stuff as before?

Okay I think it is time for some different hardware as I need the present MB, CPU, and the RAM for my work computer seeing how as my present A7N8X Deluxe board has taken a dump after getting flooded with a tall glass of iced H20 !

So I need some help here!

• I need an ASUS MB that will run a X2 CPU and be fairly close in circuit board layout as an A8N-SLI Deluxe so I don't have too much rerouting to do.
  • A super duper ass kicking CPU!
  • At least 2Gb of Ram and preferably 4Gb (2 x 1Gb or 2 x 2Gb sticks)
  • A set of kick ass video cards in the $300 - $400 each range.

Of course all will be cooled with my Aqua Computer treasure trove, but I *might* decide on a 5/16" ID tube just to be a bit eccentric. ;)

So lets hear your suggestion so we can get this mod back on track with a new set of toys!

(Of course I will be cooling the CPU with a Silver Cuplex XT and a I think I have a pair of silver TwinPlex's hanging around here somewhere for the video cards. It will still be a three loop design all controlled with an Aquaero, Multiswitch, and three (3) Aquastream pumps) :D

I suggest Intel Core2duo, they're on top right now.

Asus P5N-E, P5N32-E Plus, Striker Extreme
Intel Core2duo E6600 is probubly your best bet. If you plan on just overclocking the snot out of it, then E6300 or E4300
Micron D9GMH ram (Buffalo Firestix is cheap right now, and i think it's GMH)
8800GTS 640mb

That's a big upgrade. Might be worth a psu upgrade, while you're at it.

That's a big upgrade. Might be worth a psu upgrade, while you're at it.

I kinda got a hankering for AMD processors, but I will give Intel a thought. :) What kind of PSU were you thinking about? I already have a PCP&C Turbo Cool 510 SLI. :D

Been also thinking of using one of my 74Gb Raptors as a system drive and flipping for a RAID 5 setup of the 150Gb Raptors out now.

Oh right, I forgot about the 510.

It should do fine for the 8800GTS' but not the GTX's. The GTX's are way more expensive, too :(

If you're still looking for AMD, You pretty much have quite a bit fewer choices:

The Asus Crosshair is a good board, but $234 is wayyy too much.

That's pretty much for Asus AM2's in the same style as the A8N. the M2N32 uses a DFI-Lanparty styled ram at the top, cpu closer to the middle, layout.

Now, I'd suggest the DFI Lanparty 590, but again, Too much money for too little goods. And, Not asus.

Of course, if you made the jump to Intel, you have significantly more boards to choose from.

The P5N32-E is a solid choice, but other good choices:

P5B-Deluxe with Wifi!

P5B-E, which got a pretty good review from [H]consumer

Commando, the P965 mobo.

P5W-DH, which happens to be an older 975x based motherboard, but I've seen it in action and it's still quite nice.

None of those will do SLI, with the exception being the P5N32-E. Those are all Intel chipsets.

P5N-E is a great bargain for those looking for a 650i board for small amounts of money.

And of course, Last but definatly not least, if you're looking for all out madness, no holds bar,

The Striker Extreme. Elaborate heatpiping might go to waste seeing how you're probubly going to remove it to use waterblocks

Again, if you can look past the Asus bit, you can get a lot better:

the eVGA 680LT board. It's cheaper than 680i based boards, but offers almost all the options.

The eVGA 680i board. Big fun.

im new to the thread. very nice. took me 30 mins to flick through the thread :)

im new to the thread. very nice. took me 30 mins to flick through the thread :)

Glad you liked it! If you did it in 30 minutes you should go back and read the posts with the pics. Much of the project is in the writing. :)

Today is the day to go over to Sharka and nose around in the warehouse. :D

im ok ta:) when can we see the finished thing/update?

Well I figure I gotta work some extra days to pay for the extra couple of grand in new hardware so the MB comes first. After all the wiring and loops are done I will be needing a CPU, RAM, and a pair of video cards (whatever is the latest greatest when I get around to that part of the mod). I got discouraged before about trying to mod all the stock wiring so this time around ALL the wiring (PSU loops, water cooling electronics, and audio stuff will be hand made so it fits perfectly). So I figure at least 6 months. :D

what! so basically most of what you'vre done will goto waste :O. check out project chiller by me :) its much simpler :)

I'm soooo glad this thread is back!! It was what got me into modding in the first place :D

Just made the pilgrimage to the AC Shrine here in the USA today. I think FF may be having the HD circuit revamped. I have been thinking of ripping out the HD cage and move the Aquastream under the Aquatube. This will free up room to put in two Dual Aquadrives for my Raptor drives. More flow, more flash, and less clutter. :D

Should have some more pics later this week as I will be ripping out the stock power supply looms (unsolder from the PSU circuit board) and making entirely new custom looms which will be soldered back into the circuit board when I get a bit farther along. I hate trying to hide extra wires!
rant.gif

Hey TN, great to see you getting going on this project again. :)

Did you ever get your custom PSU plate made?

Did you ever get your custom PSU plate made?

You mean this one:

PSUPlateInstalled5.jpg

Or are you talking about the plate that the PSU bolts to on the back of the case? If your talking about the back plate, then no. :( I think I will have to have a local machinist make it for me as Lian-Li wasn't too cooperative (or at least their local yokels).

what! so basically most of what you'vre done will goto waste :O.

Feeding Frenzy was always designed for forward mobility so everything that is already done as far as case mods go was not a waste of time at all. Since there are three separate water cooled loops it is much easier to finagle changes whenever I want. :) And the best part about using Aqua Computer gear is that it is essentially timeless in look and design. :D

For example the Aquaero I bought two years ago just needs a free firmware flash to make it virtually equivalent with current production models. It pays to buy good shit...

Sorry for the long wait! My work computer dies so I have been working on a new project to retrofit my Lian-Li PC-75 to Aqua Computer. So look soon for a new worklog called Feeding Frenzy Interlude. As soon as I get that box running I will be back to FF. :D

i just thought i put this out there, i have seen few mods that are going for such perfection as you have done. This mod is coming up on two years! Dont get me wrong i LOVE this mod and your attention to detail, which i think is a lost art for pcs. But you have insipered me to take on the responsibilities of my own mod, i should have a worklog up pretty soon, i was wondering if you could help me out with a name for it ill be using a tj09 and complete water cooling, but i wont have THREE separate loops like you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back